+ Reply to Thread

Standard Palm Sounds

Just wondering if there is any way to add to the standard palm sounds that come with our phone. I'm bummed that DateBk5 doesn't allow you to use the mp3 ringers and it sucks being limited to the 4 or 5 alarms that are built in. I can see a midi "SystemMIDISounds" in the FileManager so I'm guessing the standard sounds are MIDI? There should really be more than the 7 available alarm sounds and it looks like the DateBk people aren't going to update their program any time soon even though they said the 7135 was on their list to support way back when.

So, are there any options?
    Michael Hampton

the mp3maker program that came with the phone allows you to make the following:

ringer
    tone
    alarm
    system
    wild
    flip
    demo
    other
    speech

play around with that.

i am sure there is a faq or a thread on this if you do a search

If you set the sound type to Wild in the MP3 maker when you create it, it will show up for all sound types. I can pull up sounds that I've created in the built in datebook alarms. Yyou dhould be able to see them in DB5 as weel.
    mg
    Luck is where opportunity meets preparation.

Hi Michael,

Any 96kbit/s mp3 that you convert to either an alarm or a wild using the MP3Maker will be available as a selectable sound in the standard Kyocera 7135 datebook application. DateBk5 (as with most Palm apps that use alarms) does not currently have the smarts built in to access these custom mp3 sounds directly.

As quoted from Pimlico's 7135 FAQ's page - "The custom alarm sounds on the 7135 using mp3's are not supported at this time by DateBk5."

However (and here's the good news) if you tell DateBk5 not to handle alarms (Options=>Preferences=>uncheck "DateBk5 Handles Alarms") and then use Kyocera's standard Datebook app to select your custom mp3 sound, although you'll continue to use DateBk5 to create your appointments, etc. in the Palm database it's actually the standard (mp3 aware) Kyocera app that plays the sound.

The one drawback here (yep, there had to be some bad news) is that you give up DateBk5's ability to set a different alarm sound for each event. I've spent a lot of time trying to find a way to have different custom sounds play for different calendar events and drawn a blank so far. The phrase "not supported at this time" gives me some hope that DateBk will provide this funtionality in future so I'm going to email Pimlico's Tech Support at "SWSupport@PimlicoSoftware.com" to see how far away it may be.

Suggest that you and anyone else that has agonised over this issue does the same - There's strength in numbers of potential registered customers.

Hope this helps out,
    Darren

Darren
    Thanks for the clarification. I knew I had the Kyocera alarms playing in DateBk5 when I had it installed. I just couldn't remember the combination of preferences that made it work.
    And BTW I see this is your first post, Welcome to the club.
    mg
    Luck is where opportunity meets preparation.

Thanks guys, but I've done all that. The biggest reasons I want DateBk to handle the alarms is for the ToDo alarms. I don't understand whey that wasn't in the original palm spec. What good is a ToDo reminder if it doesn't remind you!

So, I guess the answer is that other than the 7 standard sounds... alarm, wake-up, sci-fi, etc... there is no way to add more of THOSE types of sounds?

I e-mailed Pimlico several months ago when I first purchased DateBk and adding support for the 7135 sounds was "on their list" of things to look at. Looks like it's dropped off that list.
    Michael Hampton

Understood Michael - Didn't realise it was the ToDo events you were working towards. You could check out Geeksounds to give yourself a few more alarm options but this still won't accomodate any personal mp3 requirement you may be after. Guess we just keep hassling the DateBk developers and hope for the best.

Oh, and thanks for the welcome mg.

Darren.

Thanks Darren,

I'm checking out Geeksounds as I type. It looks promissing, especially if I can figure out how to add more sounds to the System Midi Sounds file.

Thanks Again!
    Michael Hampton

system MIDI sounds.pdb

The Palm sound file on your KYO is called systemMIDIsounds.pdb. Copy this up on to your SD card. Attached hereto is a zip file containing 5 or 6 different palm systemMIDIsounds.pdb files. Since they all have the same name you will have to save them on your SD card in seperate directories. Then using filemanager you can try them one at a time.
    Attached Files