+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Predictive text!

Hi,

Remember when Kyocera decided not to include "T9" functionality on the 7135, and we were all bummed? Oh, maybe that was just me, but I was bummed enough for all of us.

Anyway, finally somebody has written it for us. I was digging around on Palmgear and found PKWrite. It's a standard palm app, and it originally required that you use its on-screen keyboard.

But I contacted Robert, the programmer, and he happily customized it for our keyboard. A couple weeks of beta-testing later, it's ready to go.

There is a little bit of a learning curve, but I'm really liking it!

Note that it is not a hack or a DA; you must run it as an application, but when you exit to SMS or Mail or whatever, what you have written is automatically saved to your clipboard.

Anyway, do check it out. Robert is very open to suggestions. Feel free to PM me if you have questions as well.

Disclaimer: I have no connection, financial or otherwise, with PKWrite, I'm just a big fan.

--Mike

VERY cool Mike! I too was bummed when they canned the idea of T9 before releasing the 7135.
    Thanks for bringing our attention to this. I'll have to check it out.
    ~'kito
    pdaPhoneHome Moderator

And me to the list of those "bummed" that T9 was not included in the Kyocera 7135. Why was it taken out any way, anyone know?

But thanks, RentThisName, for the info on PKWrite. Like others, I'll give it a try.

PS. Maybe Robert, the programmer, should cut you in for advertising his program for him.

Originally posted by William
    And me to the list of those "bummed" that T9 was not included in the Kyocera 7135. Why was it taken out any way, anyone know?

The rumour is that it did not perform well in beta testing and they didn't want to delay the release any longer.

Alan

Originally posted by alanb
    The rumour is that it did not perform well in beta testing and they didn't want to delay the release any longer.
    Actually the reason is that *real* Palmers don't use T9 because they never had to write text using a phone keypad.

Treos are for phone users who wanabe be Palmers...

-Quick

Originally posted by Quick
    Treos are for phone users who wanabe be Palmers...
    -Quick
    I'm sure we'll be hearing from Robert soon on that one!!

"Palmers" that have "fallen from Grace"

YA Hear that Ro-bert-O
    Luck is where opportunity meets preparation.

Robert can't come to the message board right now, he is busy searching eBay for a 7135!
    My sordid past:

Kyocera 6035, Kyocera 7135, Samsung i700, iPAQ 6315, iPAQ hx4705, Motorola a630, BB 7100t, iPAQ rx3115, JAM 850, BB 8700g, Samsung i320 (just for fun), imate KJAM, TMO SDA, MDA, TMO Wing

You all are soooooooooo funny
    Please visit my picture site: Robert-O-Rama :)

Cocked, Locked & Loaded RedDog205's Avatar
    hmmm...I've had T9 on my 7135 for 6mo and had no problems with it. I don't use it often, just wanted to try it out on the 7135. I don't see the need since I have been using Grafitti for so long. I did like to use T9 on my Nokia 5185i though.
    Nothing is idiot proof. There's always a smarter Idiot.
    http://www.danasoft.com/sig/reddog205.jpg

Originally posted by RedDog205
    hmmm...I've had T9 on my 7135 for 6mo and had no problems with it. I don't use it often, just wanted to try it out on the 7135. I don't see the need since I have been using Grafitti for so long. I did like to use T9 on my Nokia 5185i though.
    Wow, you have a usable version of T9 for Palm? I have a time-limited demo, but with T9 long ago abandoning Palm development, I figured there would be no full copies out there.

How is the functionality?

--Mike

This is dirt old, but I just installed both the 7135 version and the DA version. I love it! I actually type quite quickly with t9 and was sorely missing it from my 7135. I'm just not that good at grafitti and I hate pecking at the small onscreen keyboard. I 've emailed robert in the hopes that he'll make a DA version for the 7135. As it stands now, the DA version will only work onscreen. which is okay for now. Great app!
    Samsung SCH-i730 -> Treo 700w -> Samsung SCH-i760 -> Samsung Omnia (SCH-i910)

I just dittoed your email, requesting a DA 7135 version. Don't know why I never noticed this app before!

Now that I've got this cool app installed and running - I'm at a bit of a loss - please explain what you use this for? What is a typical use for this program? I understand how it works, but how does it make life easier on a 7135?

Thanks.

it makes it easier for me because, as I've said, I'm far quicker at typing in t9 than I am with grafitti and pecking at the tiny onscreen keyboard. When using the Large button DA version, I just use my thumb to type out SMS messages or AIM messages.

This is only good for those who are accustomed to T9 and not so much with graffitti.

You have an AIM client for your 7135? Seems like that would eat up a lot of air time minutes.

I guess I don't type text into my phone that often. When I do its usually names and phone numbers where predictive text isn't going to help much.

I rarely send e-mail from my phone, but I suppose predictive text would make that a little easier.

I do have AIM. but the great thing about the airtime minutes is that it's free after 9p.m. and on weekends, when I'd normally use it since i'm in front of a computer all day anyways for work. =)

Hi,

This is Robert Gasparotto - I am currently working on making the current DA version of PKWrite 7135 compatible.

Please be patient as I have a 6 week old baby that takes up most of my time

Will post to this thread when the new version is available.

Cheers,
    Robert.

Thank you, Robert!
    Krazman - "IT MAY BE THAT YOUR PURPOSE IN LIFE IS TO SERVE AS A WARNING TO OTHERS"

Congrats on baby! And thank you for answering our requests.