+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Automatic, scheduled soft reset

I love my phone but it seems to work MUCH better with a dialy soft reset. I have it set up to automatically hotsync in the morning before I go to work to update Avantgo. Sometimes, it doesn't work for one reason or another and I thought an automatic soft reset before hotsync would probably do the trick. Anyone know how to accomplish this or an app to do it? I have search for this answer but have gotten nowhere. Any thoughts? Thank you!

Now there's something I never considered, sort of like recycling the server once a day..... interesting..... But sorry, don't know of one.

In my case, I finally decided to rid myself of Avantgo and it was a very hard choice. I was skeptical because most of my issues didn't happen when in Avantgo and I didn't leave it in Avantgo when shutting the phone (ok, not very often ). Lo and behold my phone was very stable with no issues for what I considered to be a long enough time to attribute the issues I had been having to Avantgo.

Of course, then I started adding software, installing hacks, and swapping batteries in and out like an addict........ So now, back to instability!!!!

Resident Curmudgeon
    I think that Paper-Clip will do what you want.

-PatP

Originally posted by PatP
    I think that Paper-Clip will do what you want.

-PatP
    Do you know if you can schedule it? The description on the site is pretty sparse and looks like you have to do it manually.
    A simple reset application, one touch and you're reset.

with reset, what about losing your....

If you do a reset every day, what about losing all of your speed dial & voice dial, etc. settings? that's the one thing that's annoying about the 7135 to me. Whenever data is lost due to hard or soft reset, I lose (and hotsync doesn't recover) all my speed dial & voice dial settings.

I use backup buddy to recover from hard resets (only had one that wasn't my one doing). It restores speed dial and voice settings on mine.
    mg
    Luck is where opportunity meets preparation.

I actually have Paper Clip and it does do a soft reset but the key is to schedule it. Anyone know any other apps that can launch apps at scheduled times? I have AutoExec but that only runs a program on a reset.

Thanks to all.

Re: with reset, what about losing your....

Originally posted by kimer12345
    If you do a reset every day, what about losing all of your speed dial & voice dial, etc. settings? that's the one thing that's annoying about the 7135 to me. Whenever data is lost due to hard or soft reset, I lose (and hotsync doesn't recover) all my speed dial & voice dial settings.
    I haven't lost any data on a soft reset. Perhaps on a hard reset, but I haven't had to do that since I got the phone. But if this is happening to you, as MGuzzy pointed out, you may want to get a card backup so you can restore all this info.

Originally posted by tazburns
    I actually have Paper Clip and it does do a soft reset but the key is to schedule it. Anyone know any other apps that can launch apps at scheduled times? I have AutoExec but that only runs a program on a reset.

Thanks to all.
    You can schedule paperclip to start using Crony.

Alan

Crony looks like it will do the trick. I'll give it a try tonight. Thank you very much!

DrJ
    I don't know of a program for automatic soft resets. But I did want to mention that on the few occasions I have done or experienced a hard reset, all data and programs (including voice and speed dial settings and custom ringer) came back with the next hot sync.

Re: with reset, what about losing your....

Originally posted by kimer12345
    If you do a reset every day, what about losing all of your speed dial & voice dial, etc. settings?
    A soft reset doesn't cause you to lose these settings. You will lose them if you are forced to do a hard reset, but if you are using good 3rd party backup software (e.g. BackupBuddy), you can retrieve them following a hard reset with a restore from backup.
    Dave

Update on the Crony / Paperclip idea- doesn't seem to work. Can't seem to get Crony to launch paperclip. Any other thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated!

CORRECTION! The problem with Crony was in the way it is programmed. In order to program an app, you must check the checkbox FIRST and then pick the app you want to launch. I believe this might do the trick but I'm still open to any other suggestions anyone might have. Thanks.

Resident Curmudgeon
    This may not be much help, but (if you have it) DateBook 5 works just fine as a cron type application launcher. The destructions for setting an app launch up are on page 100 of my DateBook 5 manual if that helps any (you need to register the creator id with DateBook 5 before you can launch an application).

If you don't have DateBook 5, I'd strongly suggest that you check it out! I quite probably use that piece of software (and SnapperMail) more often than anything other than an OS or an app kludge that I wrote myself!

-PatP

PatP, I have DateBk5 and tried to follow the directions but couldn't get it to work. The directions in the DateBk5 manual seemed a little skimpy for me. Can you use DateBk5 to lauch programs on a regular basis all on its own once you've scheduled it?

Resident Curmudgeon
    I don't do it regularly, but yes, I've gotten DateBook 5 to launch other applications. It was a bit arcane to set up (putting in the creator id, etc), but not really difficult.

I don't have time to pursue it right now, but if you'd like I can try to check into it this weekend.

-PatP

I did find the creator id for paperclip and then tried to do the launch app but nothing happened. The screen went blank for a few moments and then came back. If its much trouble don't bother. crony seems to work well enough.

Alanb, thank you for the tip to try using crony. I got it to work fine and now have two scheduled soft resets each day. I was also hoping to have Backup buddy run twice a day using crony (as BB only runs once a day). the link at the crony web site to figure out the ID to click a button was dead. since you suggested the program I thought you might be able to help me with figuring out the ID for the button to have BB run automatically. Thanx!

pzc

Question

Alanb, thanks for the tip regarding Crony. It does indeed work great with scheduling PaperClip soft resets. The problem is that when I do that then the

Prefs Phone > Phone Service >Enable CHAP Authentication

resets to Disabled whereas my network dial-up requires it to be Enabled. So after every soft reset I need to go there to set it properly by hand and it’s a hassle.

It looks like Crony could at least automatically put me in that menu right after running PaperClip but I can’t figure out how to do that. It seems that I need to know that menu’s ID within PrefsPhone which I aught to be able to determine via RscrEdit – but I can’t figure it out.

Does anybody know what that menu ID is (Prefs Phone > Phone Service)?

Thanks!