+ Reply to Thread

Thread: speed

speed

Does anyone use Cruise Contol with their 7135? Had it installed, but really couldn't notice any difference. As always, I am looking to achieve the battery/speed/no dropped calls sweetspot without any penalities.

rob

I use Afterburner and QuickBits. I like how Afterburner allows you to speed up individual apps.
    My sordid past:

Kyocera 6035, Kyocera 7135, Samsung i700, iPAQ 6315, iPAQ hx4705, Motorola a630, BB 7100t, iPAQ rx3115, JAM 850, BB 8700g, Samsung i320 (just for fun), imate KJAM, TMO SDA, MDA, TMO Wing

Originally posted by harleyxlc
    I use Afterburner and QuickBits. I like how Afterburner allows you to speed up individual apps.
    Where can i download AfterBurner? What exactly does it do? For instance, when i am listening to music, and i want to play monopoly at the same time, the game seems to run a bit slower. Will AfterBurner spead it up? And i also notice a slight delay when i am switching apps while listening to music.

Yes it can speed that up, but you must find what works best for your phone. Overclocking can cause freezing and also missed phone calls.

Check Palmgear.com or Handango.com.
    My sordid past:

Kyocera 6035, Kyocera 7135, Samsung i700, iPAQ 6315, iPAQ hx4705, Motorola a630, BB 7100t, iPAQ rx3115, JAM 850, BB 8700g, Samsung i320 (just for fun), imate KJAM, TMO SDA, MDA, TMO Wing

Fully Converged
    harlyxlc is dead on target about overclocker apps on a 7135. Afterburner 3.2 is the only overclocker I am aware of that will overclock without the related problems. I can overclock to 47MHz consistantly without any lockups. 0 calls missed to date with this app. I've no affilation to the writer.

What not to overclock with AfterBurner

harleyxlc, extpimp and any other LONGTIME AfterBurner users:

I tried AfterBurner 3.2 last March and had very mixed results. I blame my lack of knowledge in this area, not AfterBurner.

Could those of you who have been using AfterBurner 3.2 succesfully, please list those apps/ phone functions that you do NOT overclock (or do NOT fully overclock) so that those of us who might be "technology challenged" can use AfterBurner w/o blowing up our 7135's? PLEASE BE VERY SPECIFIC!!!!!!

I should also add that I have been using JackFlash to change my Flash ROM and QuickBits.

Thank You!
    Brad
    Krazman - "IT MAY BE THAT YOUR PURPOSE IN LIFE IS TO SERVE AS A WARNING TO OTHERS"

In the Afterburner setup, you should have "Adjust ticks" checked.

You can set the speed for all programs on this screen using the Default settings. I leave this at Norm (which is 33 I believe), because I do have lost calls if I overclock everything.

If you click on the "speeds" button, you should get a list of your apps. I pick and choose ones in which I want some added performance. I try to overclock just the few I use alot and are on the slow side. No phone apps.

Keep in mind that each phone will be a little different. At first I overclocked DateBk, but found if an alarm was displayed on my screen, I would miss incoming calls. I have things like AcidImage and SmartLists overclocked. You can set the individual speeds.

Besides the long term stability, you can test your settings immediately by calling yourself while in an overclocked app.
    My sordid past:

I use AfterBurner overclocked to 49MHz with no missed calls. I can play 160Kb MP3s with Bebopper with no skips and 192Kb MP3s with minor skips. Still get the slow downs and skips when opening/changing apps however; don't know of any way around that.
    Ron Honey
    7135 Nut

AfterBurner really works!!!

Thanks for the replies to my questions above. Based on a search of previous posts, I bought AfterBurner w/o even using the trial version (previous posts said it is worthless and nothing like the registered version.)

WHAT A DIFFERENCE! I am running SELECTIVE apps at 45MHz. The 7135 has a much "snappier" response. I have had absolutely no problems this time (I used the trial version in 3/03 and it really sucked). No missed calls. No resets.

One thing I have noticed.....my battery life seems to be SLIGHTLY better WITH AfterBurner than w/o. BEFORE YOU FLAME ME......I attribute this at least in part to the change in screen contrast using AfterBurner. I do not like the screen to be extremely bright. Using a combination of Contrast Bug Fix and Energy Dimmer Hack, I had my screen set at 30 Brightness and 140 Contrast. AfterBurner brightened the screen while keeping the setting numbers the same. NOW, I have my Brightness set @ 25 and the Contrast set @ 150. Screen looks the same as before.

Normally, my usage habits cause my fully charged battery @ 7:00am to be drained to 32% by 10:00pm. Yesterday, after a day of hard usage (installing and testing apps post AfterBurner install) I still had 35% @ 2:00am!

Anyway, I'm quite happy with AfterBurner. Thanks to all who tested it and posted before me.

bk
    Krazman - "IT MAY BE THAT YOUR PURPOSE IN LIFE IS TO SERVE AS A WARNING TO OTHERS"

Glad you like it. I found just the opposite with battery life. My battery life went down, but I use a cradle most of the day and overnight, so not a biggy.
    My sordid past: