+ Reply to Thread
    Jae

7135 speed test with laptop and high speed access

Today, I upgraded my high speed data plan with Verizon to unlimited. For local its $49. I did a speed test with dslreports.com. I don't know how accurate these guys are, but I've taken a screen shot. Please take a look and let me know if anyone else is getting better rates in Los Angeles. Not very impressed, but it seems ok to use.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 7135 speed test with laptop and high speed access-kyocera-7135-speed-test.jpg  
    J

i get results in the mid 70's in st louis and cincinnati on express network,do you mean you have the new ev-do high speed.if so that sounds low.you should get higher even if you are not on ev-do.you should get better than that on exprees network
    B.Andrew "Andy" Brown,MSW
    Executive Director,Camp Livingston.Inc

Jae
    I was hoping for better speed. When I connect, it states that I am connected at 234kbps. I thought that was fast, almost 2x as fast as ISDN, but when I opened the browser, it was slow. I guess it is tolerable. At work, I am alotted a full 1.5Mbps up/down, so I can't compare to that. I am hoping to run the test in other places, so I can compare the speed in various parts of Los Angeles.

Is there another way of measuring speed? Such as on my computer?
    J

Originally posted by Jae
    I was hoping for better speed. When I connect, it states that I am connected at 234kbps. I thought that was fast, almost 2x as fast as ISDN, but when I opened the browser, it was slow. I guess it is tolerable. At work, I am alotted a full 1.5Mbps up/down, so I can't compare to that. I am hoping to run the test in other places, so I can compare the speed in various parts of Los Angeles.

Is there another way of measuring speed? Such as on my computer?
    The 234kbps is a bit misleading. It's actually the speed of the USB connection between your PC and the phone itself, not the wireless connection. Remember that the PC sees the phone as a USB modem, not a router. I was amazed when I saw it too, but since I am connected at the old slow Q2N (14.4kpbs), I figured out what was going on. Sad thing is, accelerators for browsers won't work, because they see it and think you are connected at a LOT faster than a 56K modem (some will, but most just slow the system down to a crawl if you have anything above 56K.

Question for Jae: is the unlimited plan you have 1X or EVDO in LA?? I know that the pricing is supposed to be roughly the same. Even though the rollout is supposed to be by the end of the summer, I'll be lucky to see it here on the east coast by the end of September, heh (We only have 1X). I just can't see it worth the expense yet, so I will wait on the upgrade.
    Last edited by Copasetic; 02-05-2004 at 10:23 AM.
    Nothing lasts forever, except true love. If it does not last, it wasn't true....

Jae
    I believe I'm on the 1X. I have not heard any roll out on the EVDO yet.
    J

I am also in Los Angeles, and those are around the speeds I get when I use the phone as a modem for my notebook too.

I wish it was better, but hey, it is faster than a 56k modem, right?

-Warr

Fully Converged
    'Venturi 2.1' is a "must have" Verizon supported accelerator when connecting thru 7135 to a laptop or computer. Search the 7135 forums for more info on how to set it up right.
    Also, to my knowledge, 7135 will not support the new EVDO.

OK, I've read all about Venturi, and it seems that you ALSO need the Mobile Office CD in order to install Verizon Quick Launch.

Where can I download and install Verizon Quick Launch from?

-Warr