+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Angry Service Required..........

Lately i have been getting the following message: "service required, please contact provider". Has anyone else been getting this? I took the phone to the verizon store and they gave some number to call, but it was no help. I called kyocera and was on hold forever. I have been getting this message for a few weeks now. Usually, iwould just do a soft reset or turn the phone on and off, but today, that did not work. the message just stays there. Any advice? I did a hard reset as well.

Re: Service Required..........

Originally posted by TimRock
    Lately i have been getting the following message: "service required, please contact provider". Has anyone else been getting this? I took the phone to the verizon store and they gave some number to call, but it was no help. I called kyocera and was on hold forever. I have been getting this message for a few weeks now. Usually, iwould just do a soft reset or turn the phone on and off, but today, that did not work. the message just stays there. Any advice? I did a hard reset as well.
    ahhh...haven't been paying your phone bill huh?

Have you attempted to reprogram your phone using option 1 from calling *228?
    Dave

Talking

Just payed it last week. I am unable to make any calls. I cant even do an upgrade.

Just payed it last week. I am unable to make any calls. I cant even do an upgrade.
    If I were you, I'd take the phone to the local Verizon customer service center, and don't be satisfied with them giving you a phone number to call. Make them work on your phone until it is able to place phone calls once again, or until they agree to replace it.
    Dave

I've gotten that on a few occasions. It always seems to clear itself up. Once it inexplicably went into emergency mode, I exited and then soon thereafter gave me the "service required, please contact provider" message and locked up. The only thing that cleared it was a hard reset. Thank god for Backup buddy. I hadn't had the problem before or since. I figured that something in the phones memory or apps got corrupt and a hard reset cleared it. So I would try a hard reset bedfore you take it down to Verizon. It's likely the first thing they will do.
    mg
    Luck is where opportunity meets preparation.

Wow, i just called a data technician at verizon, he ran me thru a couple of tests and the message went away. What actually suprised me is, he offered to send me a new phone. He said i should have it by tomorrow. Now thats what i call good service.

Wow, i just called a data technician at verizon, he ran me thru a couple of tests and the message went away. What actually suprised me is, he offered to send me a new phone. He said i should have it by tomorrow. Now thats what i call good service.
    Someone actually offered you a new 7135 instead of telling you that you had to switch to a different phone? Wow, that is amazing! Maybe they're starting to get their act together now that the battery recall is underway.

Actually, when i went into the verizon store, they didnt offer me a new phone either. And i have been calling verizon all day and each time i told them what phone i have and no one ever said a thing. One person did ask me which battery i had, but since i have one of the good ones, that wasnt a problem. Its no big deal though, theres no phone available right now that i would want to trade for anyway. The guy didnt even say anything about me sending me in the phone i have now. Hmmmmm, maybe i will have two phones.

My beloved original Alltel phone with original Alltel software finally bit the dust this morning, succumbing to the "Service Required - Contact Provider" bug.

I'd never seen that bug before in over a year of use. Although I can't prove it, I believe that JackFlash had something to do with it.
    I had recently moved some programs from RAM to FLASH. But the phone had worked fine for at least 36 hours after doing that, including a couple of Hotsyncs.

I tried everything to solve the problem. Calls to Verizon Customer Service, moving everything out of FLASH memory back into RAM. Hard resets galore all to no avail.

The weird thing is that the first time I called VZW about the problem, while I was on the phone with them and before they'd even run me through any troubleshooting, the problem disappeared for a few minutes! But the first time I tried to use the phone the bug reappeared never to leave again.

So I took the phone to my local VZW store to have the software updated. They told me to come back in an hour. An hour later they said they couldn't fix the problem and handed me a new phone.

So now I have the ugly Verizon logo on my phone and Graffitti 2.

But I suppose I should be grateful they replaced the phone with no questions asked since it was an out-of-warranty Alltel phone.
    And they did assure me it was a brand-new phone, not a refurb.

Originally posted by jazmaan
    So now I have the ugly Verizon logo on my phone and Graffitti 2.

But I suppose I should be grateful they replaced the phone with no questions asked since it was an out-of-warranty Alltel phone.
    And they did assure me it was a brand-new phone, not a refurb.
    With, or without, the large antenna cap? If without, with a -03 battery?

Just curious if they wherehoused all the 7135s during the battery recall.

-Quick

My replacement was the new hardware. But they gave me back the battery from my old phone because it was already charged. I didn't think to look at the serial number on the uncharged battery.

I'm still kind of regretting swapping my old phone so quick without making more of an effort to fix the bug myself. Like so many other issues with the 7135 I'm sure it was user-fixable if I'd known the trick.

Someone earlier in this topic says that a VZW data tech walked him through it. I called VZW twice but they never transferred me to a data tech. I wonder what the trick is?

Hope you grabbed the old antenna too. The newer, bigger one doesn't work as well. I had gotten one of the old stlye ones off of someone at work that was going to trade their 7135 in on an i600 till they found out all the things wrong with that phone and then had to give it back. It was better while it lasted.
    Rick

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- WOW -- What a Ride!"

What makes you think the newer bigger one doesn't work as well? (I rarely need the antenna anyway. I think it only makes a difference on analog calls. I make digital calls 99% of the time.)

But it seems odd to me that they would go to the trouble of replacing the old antenna with one that "doesn't work as well."

Originally posted by rfreschner
    Hope you grabbed the old antenna too. The newer, bigger one doesn't work as well. I had gotten one of the old stlye ones off of someone at work that was going to trade their 7135 in on an i600 till they found out all the things wrong with that phone and then had to give it back. It was better while it lasted.
    So you've noticed an actual functional difference in the new antenna? I thought it was everyone wanted to keep their old one for cosmetic reasons (it sticks up less).
    mg

Originally posted by jazmaan
    What makes you think the newer bigger one doesn't work as well? (I rarely need the antenna anyway. I think it only makes a difference on analog calls. I make digital calls 99% of the time.)

But it seems odd to me that they would go to the trouble of replacing the old antenna with one that "doesn't work as well."
    Yeah, doesn't make a lot of sense, does it? When I first started reading the posts about the antennas and the fact that some people who had the old antennas thought they didn't work as well, I went to a guy in work that had one of the old ones on the phone he was going to trade in. Before and after switching, I went into debug or service mode (or whatever the heck they call it) and checked out the signal strength both with and without the antenna extended and in different locations. In all cases, the old antenna worked better than the new. Not a huge difference, but significant enough for a person such as myself who's signal at home steadily deteriorates when going from the 2nd floor to the basement.

Unfortunately, I had to give it back to him when he decided to keep the 7135. I guess I shouldn't have kept pointing out to him all of the good things that the 7135 had as opposed to the i600. In any case, he ended up breaking it, so there goes my only hope for getting my hands on one of them.
    Rick

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- WOW -- What a Ride!"

I received this message "Service Required..." back in Novemeber. It took Kyocera a month to get me a new phone and then they recalled the battery so I did not have a functioning 7135 untill the battery came in January. Please note your best bet is to get a new phone. My old phone that had the problem was one of the first released in March of last year. The error would go away after turning the phone off then back on but after a while this would not work. The problem became progresively worse until it would do nothing. The new phone has not yet experienced any problems except for a few resets. I found some culprit programs and removed them so resets are now rare. I am still hoping this new phone does not have any problems but I am not holding my breath since I have had to send my phone in for Waranty repair/replacement 5 times.

SO THE SHORT IS GET A REPLACEMENT FOR THE BAD PHONE DON'T ACCEPT A REPAIR.

But how do you know its not just a software issue? Maybe even something caused by a third party app? Jackflash has been a named suspect in this bug. Were you using Jackflash? I'm afraid to use it on my replacement phone. It's installed but I'm chicken to use it now. Ordinarily I wouldn't suspect a software issue when a bug survives a hard reset, but the changes Jackflash makes do survive hard resets.
    Last edited by jazmaan; 03-25-2004 at 08:25 PM.

Never involved in a flame war! sputnik's Avatar
    apparently this is something that Verizon is aware of, because it only took the tech about 5 minutes before telling me that they'll send me out a "new" phone tomorrow

i just hope i'm not gonna get a refurb, and go through this again, like some of you have

oh, and btw, i do have jacksprat & jackflash on there, but it was working fine for a month before i started having this problem...maybe it has to do with the fact that while i was running to catch my train i knocked it out of the holster and then kicked it about 20 feet ahead of me?
    _______
    Spu|nik VZW Kyo 7135 / VZW XV6600 / Sprint Mogul / Sprint Touch Pro / Sprint Touch Pro 2 / Apple iPhone 4 / ???

I've performed dozens of "unscheduled drop tests" on my phone with no problem. That's one area where I'd have to give Kyo an A+ grade.

Also, I too had Jackflash and Jacksprat working for months with no problem. But I do recall that approximately 1 week before the bug arose, I had gotten a little more aggressive in my use of those programs, moving more stuff into ROM.

But, I also recall that for several weeks prior to the "Service Required" bug, my phone had begun hard resetting EVERY time I changed the battery, even though I tried all the usual methods to prevent a hard reset. So maybe it was some kind of systemic failure.
    Last edited by jazmaan; 05-03-2004 at 12:20 PM.

Never involved in a flame war! sputnik's Avatar
    My unscheduled drop test was across 20 feet of gravelly parking lot. Surprisingly, my SD card didn't pop out, like it usually does during one of these tests.
    _______
    Spu|nik VZW Kyo 7135 / VZW XV6600 / Sprint Mogul / Sprint Touch Pro / Sprint Touch Pro 2 / Apple iPhone 4 / ???