+ Reply to Thread

Thread: SD card problem

SD card problem

My PNY 128 MB card works fine with a usb reader/writer. But when I insert it in my 7135 it is not recognized. What is the deal. This phone is starting to really irritate me.....there seems to always be some hurdle or some bug to work out to get things to work.

Why does the 7135 not recognize the card?
    Yes, it is inserted correctly.
    Dr. Van Nostren, from the clinic

Cocked, Locked & Loaded RedDog205's Avatar
    The card must be formated by the 7135 to be recognised by the reader and the phone. I had the same issue with a SanDisk 256MB SD.
    Nothing is idiot proof. There's always a smarter Idiot.
    http://www.danasoft.com/sig/reddog205.jpg

each time I try to format with the 7135 I receive 'format failed'.

Is there a way to format a card with a card reader like a palm would format instead of the way a windows pc formats? (I read in one thread that the two format differently)

Is it possible a 7135 can't read a 128 MB card? I remember having a similar problem with my digital camera. It was created before 128 MB cards.

I don't think so. I have never seen a limitation on size for the expansion slot.

HELP!

Good place for Bill Gates SilvrDrgn's Avatar
    The lock switch on the SD card is in the "unlocked" position, right? If so, maybe the SD card is bad - get a replacement.
    Michael

I recall long ago some posts about users having problems with the PNY SD cards. The problem was resolved when switching to a different brand, ei. Lexar, Sandisk. Sounds like its a compatilbilty thang.
    mg
    Luck is where opportunity meets preparation.

I was sick of messing with it so I took it back and exchanged it for a new one. It works perfect.

Good place for Bill Gates SilvrDrgn's Avatar
    Originally posted by DrVanNostren
    I was sick of messing with it so I took it back and exchanged it for a new one. It works perfect.
    What brand and size did you get for the new one?
    Michael

I too have had the mysterious disappearance of the SD card ("card not recognized") that was once working. Mine is a 128MB version branded by SimpleTech. It worked for a short while until I started playing around with Text Messaging one night. The Text Message I sent myself from the VZN website was garbled. I tried to open it, but it caused the phone a fatal exception (several times, actually--I finally had to delete all un-read messages to work around it). Anyways, when I did the obilgatory reset, the card was no longer recognized upon reboot. No amount of cajoling, card reader formatting, Kyocera formatting, etc. has been able to make the 7135 read it again. I went out and bought a card reader to diagnose this problem, and the card reader has no problem reading/writing data to the SD card--just the 7135. So now I have a trouble ticket open with Kyocera and they have both my phone and my SD card to examine. But don't get your hopes up, the conversation I had with the Tech the other day doesn't offer much hope that he will be able to figure out what went wrong. He basically just tried it in several other phones and learned that, "gee, it really isn't recognized!". I could have told him that! I've got my fourth 7135 replacement right now, and I had already tried it (without success) in three of them. Anyway, he told me he would pass this along to someone in Kyocera Engineering to see if there is any further diagnostic work they can do with the SD card before they just give up and send it back to me. I'll update the post again whenever I hear something back from them.
    --b1rdd0g

Originally posted by b1rdd0g
    I too have had the mysterious disappearance of the SD card ("card not recognized") that was once working. Mine is a 128MB version branded by SimpleTech. It worked for a short while until I started playing around with Text Messaging one night. The Text Message I sent myself from the VZN website was garbled. I tried to open it, but it caused the phone a fatal exception (several times, actually--I finally had to delete all un-read messages to work around it). Anyways, when I did the obilgatory reset, the card was no longer recognized upon reboot. No amount of cajoling, card reader formatting, Kyocera formatting, etc. has been able to make the 7135 read it again. I went out and bought a card reader to diagnose this problem, and the card reader has no problem reading/writing data to the SD card--just the 7135. So now I have a trouble ticket open with Kyocera and they have both my phone and my SD card to examine. But don't get your hopes up, the conversation I had with the Tech the other day doesn't offer much hope that he will be able to figure out what went wrong. He basically just tried it in several other phones and learned that, "gee, it really isn't recognized!". I could have told him that! I've got my fourth 7135 replacement right now, and I had already tried it (without success) in three of them. Anyway, he told me he would pass this along to someone in Kyocera Engineering to see if there is any further diagnostic work they can do with the SD card before they just give up and send it back to me. I'll update the post again whenever I hear something back from them.
    Did you attempt to reformat the SD card in the phone? That is how these cards MUST be formatted. It is done in the following way: From the launcher, select "Card Info". After it comes up (which might not work if the phone refuses to recognize that an SD card is inserted), click on the word card in the upper left corner. Then select format card. It probably wouldn't have worked, but it was certainly worth a try. It isn't possible to format the SD card in the card reader attached to your computer and expect the card to be readable in the phone. I'm having similar problems with a 512 MB card and I have finally, after a lot of experimentation, decided to send the card back to SanDisk for a replacement.
    Last edited by dwdod; 02-08-2004 at 08:35 AM.
    Dave

Thanks for your prompt reply, Dave. Yes, I did try to get my Kyocera to format the SD card, but it can't format what it can't see! (I don't remember the exact error messages, but that's the gist of it...) The Kyocera Tech and I speculated that it might be some kind of voltage level. But my SD card failure was precipitated by a garbled text message crash/reset. I still think the Kyocera has a fundamental device driver issue with the SD cards that other SD card readers don't have.
    --b1rdd0g

Originally posted by SilvrDrgn
    What brand and size did you get for the new one?
    PNY 128 MB...same size and brand. Works great. The only problem I have seen is the fact that I paid for 128MB and the card reads 120MB. I have read that due to allocation or something that disks are never what they say they are. It ticks me off though...it's like buying a gallon of gas and then finding out that you are really only getting 3/4 of a gallon for the gallon price or the new glasses you just bought only have one complete lens. 8MB isn't much but.....it is about 2 mp3 files. The cards should be sold as 'useable' MB. I would have no problem paying exactly what I paid for this card if it said 120 mb useable space on the package.

Resident Curmudgeon
    There actually are 128 usable megabytes on the card. The problem is that the FAT structures use about 8 Mb out of the 128 for the FAT table and basic directory information. Even more space is allocated (used) as you create new files, and if you have small files then significant amounts of storage can be "lost" due to the FAT allocation issues. This is a long slipperly slope, but it isn't news!

-PatP

Problems with large capacity SD cards?

As those of you know who follow all the threads in this forum, I have been wrestling with a 512 MB SD card for weeks. It appears that I am losing the battle. The card will work fine (not quite half full) until I attempt to add additional MP3s and then it becomes corrupted and unreadable. I've corresponded with SanDisk about this problem and they have replied that they do not have any information that the 7135 is able to support 512 MB SD cards and they recommend my inquiring about it with Kyocera. I have done so but thus far, have not heard back.

Has anyone heard anything that would suggest there is an external SD card capacity limit beyond which the 7135 won't handle? I haven't heard anything that would suggest this as being the case. Has anyone else been using 512 MB SD cards and have any experience with attempting to fill the card with MP3s?
    Dave

Originally posted by PatP
    There actually are 128 usable megabytes on the card. The problem is that the FAT structures use about 8 Mb out of the 128 for the FAT table and basic directory information. Even more space is allocated (used) as you create new files, and if you have small files then significant amounts of storage can be "lost" due to the FAT allocation issues. This is a long slipperly slope, but it isn't news!

-PatP
    I guess I would like to be able to download 128 MB of data to a 128 MB card. I somewhat understand (obviously not enough to not be bugged by it though ) the FAT structures use some of the space but it still would be nice to have 128 MB of space. I'll get over it........

Pay no attention to me, I have a slight case of corn-cob syndrome today

When I first got my 7135 in May of last year, I went out and bought a SanDisk 128 SD card. I would load it up with MP3s and, about 24 hours later if I was lucky, the 7135 wouldn't be able to recognize the card. This happened about 6 times. I couldn't even format the SD with the 7135 after it lost recognition. A friend at work had a different PDA so I could use his to format, then the 7135 would recognize the card, I could then reformat in the 7135, and reload stuff.

Also around this time other people were having problems with their 128 MB SDs. And not just people with the 7135 either -- there were several Palm based PDAs which wouldn't work with 128 MB cards. (My friend's PDA was Windows based and seemed to have no problems at all with my 'defective' card.)

I went to the store where I bought the SanDisk 128 and exchanged it (and some loot) for a PQI 256 MB SD and have had no problems in the last 8 months.