+ Reply to Thread

Unhappy Email access gone

I'm very sad - I think Verizon finally figured out that I do not have a National Access plan and cut off my ability to download my email.

I got my 7135 in late December, and wasn't having any problem downloading and sending email (via Eudora / Fastmail) until a couple of days ago. Well, now when it tries to sign on I get the 'Service Connection Progress' window that says 'signing on' for a while, then my phone beeps loudly and I get an ERROR: PPP timeout (0x1231) message. Whatever that means...

I'm hoping someone can tell me that I simply hosed up a setting somewhere, because upgrading to a National Access plan with minutes even close to my current minutes would be an additional $20 or so a month. Waaahh!

Any suggestions?

Thanks a bunch!

-Karyl

You may want to check your Network settings in PDA Prefs. After my phone soft resets, one of the numbers in my script changes and I have to change it back. I had similar errors before I figured this out.
    ---------------
    The same thing we do every night, Pinky...

Thank you so much!! It was a problem with the script. I goofed - I searched the FAQ and found script info (which matched what I had in my settings) but I was looking at the high-speed network connection script, not the qnc.

Of course, this is after I called Verizon (who said I was fine with my calling plan - using minutes for data) and they had me do a hard reset which didn't help at all...

-Karyl

Originally posted by karylr
    ... and they had me do a hard reset which didn't help at all...
    Has a hard reset ever helped anyone with anything at anytime?. I've done hard resets with my palms and PC a couple of times in my lifetime and it has NEVER helped. I can't recall any stories of anyone ever saying, "Wow, that was it. Wiping out all my data really did the trick." This suggestion is right up there with, "Why don't you try re-booting, again." on the "I-don't-know-what-else-to-tell-you-to-do" scale.

In the PC world...

A reboot is a common troubleshooting step. And yes it has helped me at times, and others that I have helped. A reboot clears the RAM and it allows new settings for users to take effect, etc.
    Any techy would say that a reboot maybe the last resort because you want to solve the root cause of a problem, but it has been known to help in many cases. In some cases it is the first thing to do!

A techy and customer support person at heart and at times practice,
    Vernon

Originally posted by Shea
    Has a hard reset ever helped anyone with anything at anytime?. I've done hard resets with my palms and PC a couple of times in my lifetime and it has NEVER helped. I can't recall any stories of anyone ever saying, "Wow, that was it. Wiping out all my data really did the trick." This suggestion is right up there with, "Why don't you try re-booting, again." on the "I-don't-know-what-else-to-tell-you-to-do" scale.
    Actually that was how I got my portable keyboard working again. I had thoroughly corrupted the drivers. The tech had me do a hard reset and then a crash reset. Got rid of the bad data. Not very often that it's effective, but every once in a while...
    ---------------
    The same thing we do every night, Pinky...