+ Reply to Thread

7135 as modem for Tungsten?

I haven't visited this group since I had my i300 a couple years ago. Has anyone been able to hook a Tungsten to a 7135 & have the Tungsten use the 7135 Fax Modem app to logon to the web? I'm sure a driver would have to be written to do this. I searched this forum, but I didn't see any mention of this anywhere. Can it be done with a bluetooth card? I'd love to be able to use the T3's high-res screen in landscape mode with the 7135 as a modem.

I think www.gomadic.com might have a cable like that - I have a T3 to VX6000 cable, so go look...
    Larry Ganz
    http://www.jesusreigns.org
    John 3:16

Yep, here it is http://www.gomadic.com/noname2.html a Tungsten to 7135 cable.
    Larry Ganz
    http://www.jesusreigns.org
    John 3:16

Thanks! Now I hope the connection is as easy as hooking up to a PC.

You HAVE to be joking!

I bought the 7135 so as not to have to carry a phone, a PDA and a pager.

And you guys want to connect a PDA to the 7135 and use it as a modem?!

What's the point?

If anything, tell Kyocera you want a 7145 (?) with a 320x320 screen and a 200 MHz StrongArm processor.

Not meaning to be rude, but come on....
    Answers yield more questions...

Yes, I know it may sound strange to you, but the 7135 is not enough for me. My old eyes can't read the screen well enough - especially outside or in a vehicle. I find the 33mHz processor too slow for a lot of what I do. The browsers are too limited - I have Blazer, Xiino, Eudora all installed. I use the 7135 with my laptop when I can, but I'd like to also be able to use it with WebPro on the T3 in landscape mode. I'll probably end up hardly ever using it because of the clunkiness of the cable hookup, but I'd at least like to try it. What I'd really like is for Verizon to offer a bluetooth phone that I can hook up with the T3. I know other carriers offer bluetooth, but they have limited access in my rural area, & most only offer digital mode on a bluetooth phone. I need analog that the 7135 has in some areas.

Oh, Tom, I really do understand all of the points you make. HOWEVER, If... IF the 7135 had a 320x320 screen the size of the Tungsten, a 144, 200 or 400 MHz processor which could speed step to conserve power AND a decent browser, that would be the trick.

I'm 48 and my arms are getting shorter too, sir.

My point remains. I called Kyocera and complained about the 160x160 resolution and about it not being the same size screen as in the Palms. The rep told me that many more folks are calling and complaining about the 7135 being too big. Go figure... If they want a little phone, buy a dang Motorola T730. I had a T720 and it was a fantastic little phone. Problem was I was carrying the T720 AND my Palm III. I had hoped the 7135 could take the place of both. I still have my complaint in agreement with you that the 7135 screen is a bit to small, the resolution should be 320x320 with a 'standard' size screen (a 7145 (?) wouldn't need be much larger with the Grafitti area in the bottom section of the phone), a better browser and a faster 'speed-step' processor.

Carrying both a Palm AND a Palm size phone just seems a step backward and counter productive.

I wish we had the variety that the Pocket PC has. They have small smartphones & full pda-size smartphones. I would like a T3 with a phone built in. In fact what I really want is what Larry Garfield over at InfoSync wrote about - a T3 with a bluetooth headset. http://www.infosyncworld.com/news/n/4476.html With that combo I could have my usual T3 with the addition of being able to use the hands-free headset when I want to talk on it & still use the PDA as usual. I don't think I could wear the headset all the time, but I think if it plugged into the T3 for charging & maybe even for storage I could live with that. You know, the Tungsten W had this idea a little bit, but it was hampered by the thumbboard, OS 4.1, & a 320 x 320 screen. I also need analog mode.
    Last edited by tommunch; 02-08-2004 at 01:52 PM.

Well, Tom, you have no idea how much I believe we agree. I just posted a new thread about the various concepts of what folks are wanting.

The best we (I) can hope for is a good basic unit with aftermarket adapters and add-ons for the particular wants of folks using the little guys. That way, the base unit wouldn't be too expensive (lol) and for the folks wanting more utility, they could add the plug ins.

I just wanted to butt-in and say that I too own both the 7135 and a T|T3.

The 7135 was my first Palm OS device, and once I mastered the concept, I was eager to experience the lastest and greatest that the Palm OS offers.

I have a bluetooth access point connected to my cable modem so I really don't have much of a need to connect my T|T3 to my 7135. Maybe with the above info, I just might.
    Browse over to my new forum. http://www.palmfanatic.com

"The wireless telegraph is not difficult to understand. The ordinary telegraph is like a very long cat. You pull the tail in New York, and it meows in Los Angeles. The wireless is the same, only without the cat. " - Albert Einstein

Kyocera 7135 - Treo 600 -> Palm IIIxe - Treo 650 - Tungsten T3

Is it possible to use the infrared port to connect the 7135 to another Palm and have the ability to surf the net on that other Palm?