+ Reply to Thread
    CJK

Insurance for 7135

Does anyone know if Verizon will insure a phone that is purchased new in the box (or used) on eBay? I would like to get a 7135 without the interminable wait that is happening right now, but with the cost of the phone, I don't want to do it if I can't insure it through Verizon.

I asked Verizon for an update through their website, and this was the response:

"We were hoping to receive new batteries for the Kyocera 7135 by the end of January. This did not happen. We can only say, that Kyocera is working to get them to us as soon as possible. Once they are received, we will again sell the phone."

However, reps at my local store are telling me that they don't know if they'll ever see that phone again. They tried to sell me on the Samsung i600, but it won't synch with my programs at work.

Kyocera is no help on an update:

"Thank you for contacting Kyocera Wireless Customer Care. We apologize for the inconvenience you are experiencing.

Verizon Wireless recently chose to temporarily quarantine many unsold Kyocera Wireless 7135 Smartphones due to a recently discovered issue with some of the batteries. The phone's themselves have not experienced any failures and Kyocera Wireless is working with Verizon Wireless to ensure that the batteries in question for unsold units are replaced. We currently estimate that the Smartphone will once again be available within next month."

I received this same message (grammatical errors and all) on January 13 and January 28.

New batteries have been going out, someone has even received a replacement 7135 and I believe I have read that people were able to insure the phone even if purchased from a private party.

Try a few searches in this forum.
    My sordid past:

Kyocera 6035, Kyocera 7135, Samsung i700, iPAQ 6315, iPAQ hx4705, Motorola a630, BB 7100t, iPAQ rx3115, JAM 850, BB 8700g, Samsung i320 (just for fun), imate KJAM, TMO SDA, MDA, TMO Wing

CJK
    I gave it a shot, and couldn't find anything about insuring a private purchase phone. I called my local store, and they just told me that they would activate the phone, but that there are "software issues" so the phone would be entirely my responsibility (meaning it wouldn't be insured).

Cocked, Locked & Loaded RedDog205's Avatar
    Try contacting Lock/Line directly.
    Nothing is idiot proof. There's always a smarter Idiot.
    http://www.danasoft.com/sig/reddog205.jpg

Kyo to Treo, Con-vergin' MUGlover's Avatar
    I have a 7135 from Verizon and the insurance is charged on my monthly bill. Perhaps you want to call the insurance company, which apparently does not use uppercase letters. Their name is lock\line and the number is 877-646-7874. I'm sure they won't give you the form letter about the batteries. Good luck.

[edited the direction of the slash - posted same time as another]

I bought the 7135 from Alltel way back when and have had the phone insured through Verizon. I say through because it is actually another company that does the insuring but Verizon charges the fee on my monthly bill. I know it works as I have used the insurance one time when I messed up the firmware trying to do a self upgrade. Since in other areas it has depended on which tech you talk to at Verizon, assuming you have them, just keep calling to you get one who will do it for you. With a $500 phone I thought it would be wise to have some insurance (not to mention I take it with me canoeing) and it has paid off.

CJK
    Thanks to those who suggested contacting lock\line. Here was the response I got:

(My question): I am a longstanding Verizon customer, and carry insurance on two phones at present. I believe the coverage is through your company (my phone is in the 814 area code, if that helps). I want to purchase a different phone, but my local store does not have any available. If I purchase a phone off of the Internet, can I still arrange insurance coverage through your
    company? The phone would either be new in box or slightly used.

(The reply): Yes, you can have those phones insured. Once the phone is activated simply call 877.646.7874 and we will complete a test call on that phone. Once the test call is completed the insurance can be added.

Thank you,

Jacob R Rasdall
    lock\line, LLC
    Compliance Coordinator

Cool. Now I'm going shopping.

Originally posted by CJK
    Cool. Now I'm going shopping.
    Good for you!! It's definitely a phone I wouldn't go without insurance on.

I actually purchased my 7135 on ebay, and called a week or two later to VZ cust service and they set up the insurance for it. I did have to call Insurion (insurance for my area code) and they set it all up. My phone was slightly used.. but I still paid about $500 for and wouldnt want to go without insurance.

Just make sure they are a good seller on ebay.

Bill
    NEW TOY?! Gotta have it!!!

I called lock\line for insurance on my 7135 through Alltel, and their phone message states "Please note that the Kyocera 6135 and Kyocera 7135 cannot be enrolled in the protection program." Any other companies out their that I could go through? Privately, maybe?

By the way... what are people paying per month for insurance on their 7135s? I bought mine from someone on this Forum and don't currently carry insurance.
    Peter L.

I just this minute insured mine with Asuian by calling Verizon. The rep placed the order in the system while I was on the phone with him, and gave me the toll-free number to Asurian to follow up with them in a couple of days to make sure it made it into the system. $4.99/month.

By the way, I purchased my 7135 on EBay last week and activated it on Verizon. I had them flash me to the latest firmware (MZ 1.0.44 SZ 1.0.29 PRL: 50143) and have had absolutely no problems with the phone. The insurance plan is a $50 deductible.

CJK
    I just got an e-mail back from lock\line:

Yes, the wireless insurance program includes the Kyocera 7135.

Thank you,

Jacob R Rasdall
    lock\line, LLC
    Compliance Coordinator
    (913) 676-9195
    JRRasdall@DSTSystems.com

"No" from lock\line on Alltel

I've just had confirmed by lock\line that, for a 7135 on Alltel, they do not provide insurance. How should I work this? Is there any "private" insurance I can get? ANybody been successful putting on renter's or homeowner's insurance? Or should I just sock away $500 and act as my own insurance (assuming I can *get* $500...)
    Jay