+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Kyocera 7135 R.I.P.?

Since it has been so long since the 7135 disappeared should we all consider it gone for good with all the rumors floating around that the Treo 600 or Treo 610 will be released to Verizon in the near future. It is sad that Verizon does not have a single Palm based phone available to the public. Verizon needs to wake up and provide the consumer with more choices in a timely manner. If nobody is a believer in the Treo 600/610 then what is the next Palm based PDA coming to Verizon other than the 7135 coming back from the dead with its totally outdated software, slow processor speed, and horrible battery life?

Re: Kyocera 7135 R.I.P.?

Originally posted by nittanyjack
    If nobody is a believer in the Treo 600/610 then what is the next Palm based PDA coming to Verizon other than the 7135 coming back from the dead with its totally outdated software, slow processor speed, and horrible battery life?
    I don't see how anyone can knock the 7135 as being outdated or slow when there is nothing else available (from ANY manufacturer) that even comes close to offering all the features and abilities of the 7135 in one package.

Personally, I've never had an issue with the battery life or software and my unit has always been very stable. The 7135 is beautiful and functional. I do wish the processor was a little snappier but that will come with the next iteration, I'm sure.
    -Data Rox

My 7135 is still here, did everyone else lose theirs suddenly?
    My sordid past:

Kyocera 6035, Kyocera 7135, Samsung i700, iPAQ 6315, iPAQ hx4705, Motorola a630, BB 7100t, iPAQ rx3115, JAM 850, BB 8700g, Samsung i320 (just for fun), imate KJAM, TMO SDA, MDA, TMO Wing

I think the Kyo has mainly been a victim of timing and marketing, or should I say lack of.

Verizon just seems very non-thrilled about the 7135. They also seem very nonchalant about Treos. I don't have years of experience with VZW, but they seem to be fantastic on some things and painfully slow on others. Good, "early adopter" handsets seems to be others.

The 7135 is great, don't get me wrong. VZW just doesn't seem to recognize its greatness (and all sorts of reviewers), and apparently isn't interested in pushing it. Meanwhile, there aren't loads of other options for interested buyers. There are downsides to the Kyo imho, but like others there isn't anything "better enough" to induce me to give up on the 7135. The positive outweigh any negatives, and nothing on the horizon appears to beat my beloved Kyo.

There are rumors of a Verizon Treo in March, btw.
    Last edited by theharmonyguy; 02-09-2004 at 04:12 PM.
    >thg.
    I want an MPx with PalmOS supporting EV-DO on Verizon!! Is anybody listening?? :splat: 8)

"An inconvenience is only an adventure wrongly considered." - G. K. Chesterton

back
    If it doesn't take pictures, it ain't s--t! in today's Janet Jackson/Justin Timberlake culture.
    Palm M515>Kyocera 6035>Kyo 7135>Treo 650>Treo700W>Treo 700P>Palm Centro Verizon

gone already? - seems like we hardly knew ye

Originally posted by ekaxel
    If it doesn't take pictures, it ain't s--t! in today's Janet Jackson/Justin Timberlake culture.
    Personally, all these silly add-on cameras with a 640x480 resolution, no zoom, no flash and VERY mediocre results just don't interest me one bit. Neither does Janet Jackson or Justin Timberlake. I guess I'm showing my age...
    Dave

back
    I am older than you. I am not interested in the pictures/doodads etc. either!
    Palm M515>Kyocera 6035>Kyo 7135>Treo 650>Treo700W>Treo 700P>Palm Centro Verizon

This forum makes a difference

Without this forum, I probably would have ditched my 7135 within my first few months (last Spring), since the default help-desk response of "it must be a third-party app that is causing your problem -- try a hard reset and then try to figure out which third-party app is causing the problem -- have a nice day" would not have worked for the long run.

The skills and experience brought together "under one roof", here, has been invaluable to me (it's also gotten me into a little trouble when dabbling in things better left for some of you experts out there, but that's my own dang fault.)

So, since this forum DOES exist, I would count myself among those who is quite content with my 7135 (of course, there's always room for improvement.)

dL

Re: Re: Kyocera 7135 R.I.P.?

Originally posted by Data Rox
    I don't see how anyone can knock the 7135 as being outdated or slow when there is nothing else available (from ANY manufacturer) that even comes close to offering all the features and abilities of the 7135 in one package.

Personally, I've never had an issue with the battery life or software and my unit has always been very stable. The 7135 is beautiful and functional. I do wish the processor was a little snappier but that will come with the next iteration, I'm sure.
    Is Kyocera even working on a new version. I have heard nothing on this topic.

Re: Re: Re: Kyocera 7135 R.I.P.?

Originally posted by nittanyjack
    Is Kyocera even working on a new version. I have heard nothing on this topic.
    None of us have. If they are working on a new pdaPhone, they are keeping it extremely well under wraps. Personally I have resigned myself that my next pdaPhone (hopefully purchased within the next 6 months) will be manufactured either by Samsung or by Palm One (previously HandSpring).
    Dave

Yeah, but we haven't heard much from them either . . .

I personally like the idea of a digital camera being a part of my convergence device. However, I mean a real camera - not a 640x480, no-flash, mediocre-quality "camera". Zoom would be best, but not a must-have. (And I'm college-age, btw.)
    >thg.
    I want an MPx with PalmOS supporting EV-DO on Verizon!! Is anybody listening?? :splat: 8)

"An inconvenience is only an adventure wrongly considered." - G. K. Chesterton

I'm quite happy with my 7135 as well. The newer offerings come up short or require too much compromise for my liking.

1. aren't offered on VZW -- I need the coverage for calls AND data
    2. don't have swappable batteries
    3. aren't clamshell
    4. aren't Palm OS
    5. are low res

Frankly, if VZW offered a spiffy bluetooth phone, I might unconverge.
    iPhone 4S BB8830/Treo700wx/Treo700w/ XV6600/Treo600/Kyo7135

Re: Re: Re: Re: Kyocera 7135 R.I.P.?

Originally posted by dwdod
    None of us have. If they are working on a new pdaPhone, they are keeping it extremely well under wraps.
    Perhaps that's because they don't want to slow down the momentum of the 7135

I hope that they get back on the horse, but I'm not optimistic.
    Please visit my picture site: Robert-O-Rama :)

It's a PalmPhone.

IIRC, Verizon has signed up to offer MS Smartphones.

I think the 7135 is the end of the line as far as Palm Phones on Verizon.

They can introduce a Treo and prove me wrong, but, ....

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Kyocera 7135 R.I.P.?

Originally posted by Robert K.
    Perhaps that's because they don't want to slow down the momentum of the 7135

I hope that they get back on the horse, but I'm not optimistic.
    Very Nice, Robert! I have been waiting for you to chime in on this topic. I hope you are enjoying your Treo 600 on the dark side. I at least hope you use your Kyocera 7135 once in a while unless you have already sold it.

Yeah, but...

I am very happy with my 7135 but I agree with the previous
    post that without this forum I would have given up a while
    ago. Being a techie and early adopter made me persevere
    with the 7135 to the point where it is now indispensible to
    me.

That said, there is at least one better offering than the 7135
    in my opinion. The Samsung i500, offered by Sprint, seems
    to be a better tradeoff of size with almost all the functionality
    of the 7135 except the SD slot. I would definitely move to the
    smaller form factor (with essentially the same size screen) if
    all I had to give up was the SD slot.

In my mind, both Kyocera and Verizon are asleep at the wheel
    when it comes to smart phones (Sprint may be also, I just don't
    have personal experience).

Just one opinion.
    Mike

Originally posted by joeberk
    IIRC, Verizon has signed up to offer MS Smartphones.
    Kyo is still 10 times better than that MS 'Smart' Phone

Originally posted bydlandau
    The skills and experience brought together "under one roof", here, has been invaluable to me
    I agree, Kudos to the entire pdaPhoneHome team for getting us all through this (FAR better than VZW tech support)
    Last edited by Rstyle; 02-10-2004 at 09:04 AM.

Post New Release Time Frame.....

Hello All,

An update which was received from Kyocera CS... 7135's are scheduled to be back on the market by months end. I have written back to find out if Verizon will be carrying them as well.

Will let you know what the response is to that question.

Thanks and looks promising. As I refuse to start service until I can get this phone! That is until my firm forces me to make an alternate choice.

SS

Aaron T.
    In my opinion, the technical support staff needed to assist seriouse users of the 7135 is always going to be a problem. Verizon and Kyocera really can't offer quality assistance on the device, (too expensive to train? Too afraid to release more than cursory info on the OS and other related issues?) Who knows, but I sincerely believe that many of the users on this board are far more knowledgable about the 7135 than ALL of the Verizon staff I have spoken to, (hell, I still get oohs and aaaahs when I walk into my local Verizon store with my 7135, and I live in metropolitan Los Angeles). And as for most of the Kyocera technical support, not much better. Once, I had to have a Kyocera tech transfer me to another more knowledgeable support person because he admitted to having never used the phone). I don't expect this to change as combination devices get better and better at what they do. The end user is going to have to really learn how to do it him/her self.

But that's okay. . .I've been initiated, and I'm in for the long haul.

Power user in training,

T.
    Last edited by nuhippie; 02-10-2004 at 10:48 AM.