+ Reply to Thread

Question Where's the MapQuest PQA?

I read some old posts on this forum last night discussing favorite apps on the Palm/Kyocera 7135. One that piqued my interest was the the MapQuest PQA. (I first had to learn what a PQA was--Palm Query Application.) I went to MapQuest.com, read about it, saw a demo of it, but I'll be darned if I could find a place to download it!
    Later on, I read some posts here that seemed to indicate that this PQA may not work anymore. Can somebody tell me if MapQuest PQA is still working, and if so, where I can download the app?
    --b1rdd0g

Still Cruising After All Of These Years

Attached Files
    I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy

Thanks Schavlan!
    --b1rdd0g

Dang. Mapquest.pqa seems to only track US addresses, not Canadian. Not too useful here in Vancouver but at least we have the best bud in North America.

I am not familar with pqa's such as thiss, and this one seems to be in black and white and therefore presumably an old application.

Can anyone who uses these name some of the more useful ones?

Purged, Merged, and Converged
    A lot of PQAs are no longer supported. I believe the MapQuest PQA is in that list; I had enough trouble with it that I deleted it from my system.

However, MapQuest does provide screens optimized for wireless devices. Here's the entry point, just add it as a bookmark in Eudora:

http://wireless.mapquest.com/Palm/v3.0/index.html

USA maps only, unfortunately.

Purged, Merged, and Converged
    The attached file contains three PQAs that still work or at least still worked a month ago when I tested them on the 7135. They are:

The Weather Channel
    Merriam-Webster Dictionary
    Free On-Line Dictionary Of Computing
    Attached Files

Thanks Kdean. The lack of Canadian maps is a bit of a deal killer. Also, when I loaded the url in my 7135, the web page came up incomplete and consequently unnavigable.

I used to use tons of them, but the only two I still use (or for that matter ... even keep on my phone) are ESPN's PQA and the USGA GHIN Handicap Lookup PQA.

Hey folks... Ironic that this question should have come up when it did; I had just been wondering why I hadn't loaded Mapquest off of my old 6035 onto my 7135, so I recovered the old file from an ages-old backup and loaded it last night. My first time testing last night came up empty, giving me some sort of "no response from host" message. Just to be on the safe side, I tried it again after having read this thread, and POOF!, it worked just fine. I still find the estimated driving times humorous, but the directions are quite sound and it came back to me quite quick. That's using 1X, btw. Hope that helps!

I use Directory Assistant and it does lookups as well as linking you to MapQuest through the Kyocera's built in browser so you get the maps in color as opposed to the ones the old PQA did.
    In every belief is a lie.