+ Reply to Thread

stowaway keyboard

Hi! Can the stowaway keyboard users tell me if it works for email or i guess while the "phone / modem" is in use? Also, is there a certain "port" setting that allows this? The serial port is used by the phone and I think most other keyboards but I thought this one worked while the phone was in use.

Thank you,
    Mark Greene

Good place for Bill Gates SilvrDrgn's Avatar
    I use my stowaway keyboard to write Emails in SnapperMail. Though, that's while it's offline. I've never tried using the keyboard while the phone/modem was actually online and connected to my provider. It should work while on a voice call. On data calls, I would assume it depends on what program you're using during the data call.
    Michael

Thanks!

I just did a test for you. The stowaway keyboard does work while on a voice call. I was typing a memo in peditPro with it while having my 7135 connected to my office desk phone on a voice call.

Data call test - I put WebPro online to surf a web site. I loaded up Yahoo.com just for the heck of it. While the data connection was active, I typed some stuff into the search box on the main Yahoo site using the stowaway keyboard. So it appears to work while online with data calls, too. There are slight pauses in it's responsiveness when the modem goes into and out of dormant mode while on an Express Network connection.
    Michael

I reallly appreciate the help. I found a great keyboard called the fx100 and took it on a trip and could not get it to work with email while surfing.......the company said if kyo could do it, they could so I am hoping for some new driver from them.....
    if you want to see it is man-machine.com

thanks again, really helpful

I was under the impression that only the Kyocera keyboard would work while on a call.
    My sordid past:

Kyocera 6035, Kyocera 7135, Samsung i700, iPAQ 6315, iPAQ hx4705, Motorola a630, BB 7100t, iPAQ rx3115, JAM 850, BB 8700g, Samsung i320 (just for fun), imate KJAM, TMO SDA, MDA, TMO Wing

No problem. You're welcome!
    Michael

I guess since it is the same way to connect the board, the tech told me if theirs can then we can make ours..... not sure if they can but I could not get the sotwaway to work at all and it was a lot heavier and bigger than this one to boot.... i f I hear something new I will certainly post it.

Mark

Originally posted by SilvrDrgn
    I use my stowaway keyboard to write Emails in SnapperMail. Though, that's while it's offline. I've never tried using the keyboard while the phone/modem was actually online and connected to my provider. It should work while on a voice call. On data calls, I would assume it depends on what program you're using during the data call.

Bump, is the stowaway keyboard you are referring to - the same one that Kyocera is selling at their website?

Anyone have input on the best one? I don't plan on using it all the time - but on business travel - it's nice.... also like to use Verichat - and it's tough to grafitti, etc.

Thanks

-Patrick

Originally posted by pkaine
    Bump, is the stowaway keyboard you are referring to - the same one that Kyocera is selling at their website?
    Yes, the stowaway keyboard I use is the same one that Kyocera sells on their web site.
    Michael

SilvrDrgn,

In an earlier post you said "while having my 7135 connected to my office desk phone on a voice call". How does one connect a 7135 to a desk phone? Are you saying there is a way to place voice calls without going cellular?

Thanks,

Dale

Originally posted by dcscott
    SilvrDrgn,

In an earlier post you said "while having my 7135 connected to my office desk phone on a voice call". How does one connect a 7135 to a desk phone? Are you saying there is a way to place voice calls without going cellular?

Thanks,

Dale
    No. I mean that I called my office desk phone (while sitting right next to it) from my 7135. "Connected" in the sense that I was making a standard voice call from the 7135 to my desk phone.
    Michael