+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Cool Added Power & Hang-up Switch to Car Kit

I solved my biggest complaint about the 7135 Car Kit: There is no way to hang up a phone call. Others have also complained that there is no way to turn it off while plugged into a hot socket.

I discovered that while I was in a call, if the power was interrupted to the car kit, the call would be ended. So I added a small switch that turns off the power. Voila! Now when I get someone's voice mail, I can easily hang up the call whenever I want.

In my car the power goes off to the lighter socket when the key is off, so I wasn't really concerned about a permanent power switch. I therefore installed a tiny normally closed, momentary open, push switch right into the case of the car kit. I cut the power wire inside the case, and inserted the switch into the hot lead. It works great.

A couple of words of advice, though, and some hints.

If you do decide to open the case know that you are voiding your warranty.

As you open the case, three things are likely to fall (or fly) out: Two springs that hold the mounting clamp, and the small clear plastic clip over the LED. Neither are hard to replace, but don't lose them.

There is not much room in the case to mount the switch. The only place I found is on the right side just below the LED. There is an empty area there that is just big enough. Be sure you put some electric tape over the speaker, or you might short out the switch wires.

An easier approach would be to cut the wire outside of the case. You could then also run the switch anywhere you wanted. And the most conservative approach would be to buy a cigarette lighter socket and plug and put the switch between them. This way you wouldn't have to open the case or cut wires on your car kit.

Anyway, with the addition of this switch, my Car Kit now meets all my needs. Though it would be nice to have a holder that the phone just slides into, like the home charger...

Daryl

Might you have pictures or diagrams for this mod?
    Nothing lasts forever, except true love. If it does not last, it wasn't true....

Sure, but it may take me a couple of days.

OK, if I can figure out how to do this, here's a picture.

The switch is a Radio Shack 275-1548.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Added Power & Hang-up Switch to Car Kit-carkit.jpg  

you've got WAY too much time on your hands there buddy!

"Anyway, with the addition of this switch, my Car Kit now meets all my needs. Though it would be nice to have a holder that the phone just slides into, like the home charger..."

I also believe it would be nice to slide the phone into a holder(hot sync craddle like) where the car kit connector is already sitting/waiting to be mated with the phone. One hand operation. Anybody ??

Originally posted by rahoma
    "Anyway, with the addition of this switch, my Car Kit now meets all my needs. Though it would be nice to have a holder that the phone just slides into, like the home charger..."

I also believe it would be nice to slide the phone into a holder(hot sync craddle like) where the car kit connector is already sitting/waiting to be mated with the phone. One hand operation. Anybody ??
    Yup I made one. and just as you describe. The HF connector is held in position so that when the phone slides into the "holder" it snaps into the connector. It's very convenient. I'll see if I can post some pics of my creation.
    mg

I like convenient! Can we replicate? This souds like the one handed operation I've been looking for.

MGuzzy,
    "Yup I made one. and just as you describe. The HF connector is held in position so that when the phone slides into the "holder" it snaps into the connector. It's very convenient. I'll see if I can post some pics of my creation."

Would definitely like to see a picture. I’m sure there are others out there that would like to build/buy a car cradle like your talking about.
    rah

Originally posted by MGuzzy
    Yup I made one. and just as you describe. The HF connector is held in position so that when the phone slides into the "holder" it snaps into the connector. It's very convenient. I'll see if I can post some pics of my creation.
    mg
    I'm sure it will be a limited production run... Please put me in the order queue.

-Quick

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Quick
    [B]I'm sure it will be a limited production run... Please put me in the order queue.

MGuzzy,
    I think we need to start a back-order list....what do you say?
    rahoma

Would love to see that picture....I'm still using a "universal" holder. I think "universal" means anything BUT a 7135. Its really fun to try to shoehorn it into the holder when I get in the car. I'm just waiting to snap it in half...

Originally posted by thefred
    Would love to see that picture....I'm still using a "universal" holder. I think "universal" means anything BUT a 7135. Its really fun to try to shoehorn it into the holder when I get in the car. I'm just waiting to snap it in half...
    Yea, I would like my "hot shoe" holder constructed
    with a ProClip please .

-Quick

mg
    Mr. MGuzzy,
    We are starting to que up.
    A detailed description or a picture please....

rah

Well it isn't much really, at this point. At this point my project seems to have stalled at the quick and dirty "proof-of-concept" phase as I havent' had time to make a nicer one yet. But what I did is take a piece of 2x4 and traced my 7135 w/ the connector attached. I then used a router (the wood working kind for all you techno-geeks out there) to make the slot for the phone and the connector. The whole thing is mounted on a post using a hole in my dash that I've used for mounting every cell phone I've had. The connector is snug enough to keep the buttons depressed so the connector's latches aren't engaged on the phone. See attached pics! My nicer concept will be made of from a block of plastic and be mounted on a goose neck. Though the advantage of this design is the nice wood grain!
    mg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Added Power & Hang-up Switch to Car Kit-camera-cradle.jpg  

My block of wood

Here's my block of wood... er cradle without phone
    mg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Added Power & Hang-up Switch to Car Kit-block-o-wood.jpg  

Re: My block of wood

Here's my block of wood... er cradle without phone
    mg
    errr... ummm... please dequeue my order.

[pssst, <----- that guy has a 2x4 bolted to his dash... ]

I'm sure it's just the prototype for proof of concept

-Quick

Re: Re: My block of wood

Originally posted by Quick
    errr... ummm... please dequeue my order.

[pssst, <----- that guy has a 2x4 bolted to his dash... ]

I'm sure it's just the prototype for proof of concept

-Quick
    :$30k luxury vehicle.....$500 Smartphone.....
    Dash mount to integrate it all together.....$$$ priceless !

Hey....I like the concept !

Hey guys!
    I knew you'd give me Sh*t if I posted my working idea. But hey I had to start somewhere. Actually it allows me to tweak it while i'm on the road. I would have been less inclined to draw notes on a piece of mahagony! Anyway ... next free weekend I have I'll work on rev two, and I'll have to consider sharing it with you ungrateful bastages!
    Luck is where opportunity meets preparation.

Daryl,

When you where in there, any indication that the wiring might accomodate stereo output? I'd gladly hack a stereo 1/8 jack into my hf if there was the possibility of getting it to a stereo output.