+ Reply to Thread
    just went from 7135 to 6315.

choosing network for web clipping

I want web clipping pqa's to use Q2Net and not 3G/EN.

I don't want to lose any more minutes to "dormant packets".

But I can't find anywhere to choose the network for web clipping.

Any ideas ?

Thanks.
    The more I learn, the less I know.

That's under preferences... network connection. YOu won't be able to chose the network for just web clipping.... you'll have to reset it every time you want to switch.

However, you are going to end up using more minutes because the Q2Net will take longer to download and won't auto disconnect ever. So you'll have to end the call manually. If you just end the call manually with EN, you 'll use less minutes total, get it?

And all of this actually assume you are losing minutes when in dormant mode, which I know is definitely NOT the case with myself and other experienced Verizon users.

So you can make the change, but it's only going to be for the worse either way.
    Peter L.

just went from 7135 to 6315.

choosing network

Hi.

Thanks for the reply.

The reason I want to avoid the EN is because I have been told by Verizon that dormant packet mode does come out of my minutes.

Also, EN is not noticeabley faster in my area ( Long Beach, CA outside Los Angeles ). It is supposed to be faster using the phone as a modem for a laptop, but I have never experienced the browser or a pqa gaining any speed using EN over Q2net. And I've checked it many times.

I may delete the EN network from my phone if I don't find a way to do it in the options or programming areas.

I appreciate your response.

kirk
    The more I learn, the less I know.

I believe you are mistaken about the 'dormant packet mode'. I've just (in the last half hour) switched from Q2net to EN after getting the kind Verizon tech-girl to set it up for free (using my minutes). I notice that in 'dormant packet mode' there is no phone connection -- look at the top display -- rather than "Data Call" it shows the not-in-use signal strength and time -- the phone is off-hook. When there's a switch back to high speed the phone dials out and connects. I'm pretty sure they're not charging you for minute that the phone isn't even connected . . .

Oh, by the way, I'm not noticing a great speed increase either. Avantgo still takes 15 minutes to synch if I don't use the cradle with either Q2net or EN. Some web pages seem to load slightly faster, but nothing dramatic.

I concur with the general opinion that dormant mode is not counted. Minutes PLUS consistantly counts a slightly higher number of EN minutes than VZ ever has charged me, even though I've set it to not count dormant. If I let it count dormant, it's MUCH higher than my billed amount. So, unless different reps are setting up things differently, I don't think they count.
    There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those who understand binary, and those who don't.