+ Reply to Thread

Help accessing Microsoft Outlook e-mail wirelessly...

Perhaps a dumb question, but a search turned up little:

I've never actually accessed my business e-mail server (Outlook 2000, with "SSL" encryption) from my 7135. Of course, the phone synchronizes the inbox when I HotSync, but I can't figure out how to use any of the included programs to access our e-mail server wirelessly while on the road.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

TIA!!

I am using Eudora and Pocket Mirror to sync with Outlook.

From my understanding of how email and Outlook work, Outlook actually goes to your server to pull the email (to to Tools, Accounts, Servers). You need to set up an email program on the phone to do the same thing. You don't actaully go to Outlook to get your mail.

The problems that I've had doing this are:
    1. My company has a VPN (security) that I can't seem to find a way around using the phone to try and access the server wirelessly.
    2. I have yet to find a program that syncs all my various email folders in Outlook, so even if you can get them, you can't actually file them.

Right now I have to live with the syncing of my [work] email instead of getting it wirelessly. My non-VPN-required [personal] email account works fine from Eudora when I access it wirelessly, but again, has nothing to do with Outlook.

I hope this was helpful.
    Release the Hounds!

Resident Curmudgeon
    The Premier version of Snappermail will gleefully connect to a POP3 mail server with SSL. You'll need to confirm with your company's e-mail administrator that they've enabled POP3 on the Exchange server.

There are also several other email clients that will do this, but I'm not familiar with them.

-PatP

Originally posted by PatP
    The Premier version of Snappermail will gleefully connect to a POP3 mail server with SSL. You'll need to confirm with your company's e-mail administrator that they've enabled POP3 on the Exchange server.

There are also several other email clients that will do this, but I'm not familiar with them.

-PatP
    Thanks!

Unfortunately, our admin has DISABLED POP3 on our server.

Any other suggestions - MAPI, or IMAP, with SSL?

Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

TIA

Resident Curmudgeon
    Hmmm... Is your email administrator willing to work with you to get your mail to you, or are they completely averse to the idea? If they aren't willing to cooperate, the best you can probably do is to sync more information to your phone, since you probably can't receive mail remotely without their assistance. There are a number of more sophisticated conduits for mail, and there are at least two "Outhouse like" email products for the Palm platform.

Mail is a very touchy subject in some environments. Decisions are made using the "mating elephants" model: at a high level, with lots of bellowing and trumpeting, and you really don't want to get caught in the middle of it. If this is your case, I believe I'd stay WAY clear of the process!

-PatP

Hmmm... Is your email administrator willing to work with you to get your mail to you, or are they completely averse to the idea?

Mail is a very touchy subject in some environments. Decisions are made using the "mating elephants" model: at a high level, with lots of bellowing and trumpeting, and you really don't want to get caught in the middle of it. If this is your case, I believe I'd stay WAY clear of the process!

-PatP
    Loved the mating elephants analogy!! As for email being a very touchy subject, it's only going to get worse. As long as there are folks out there hell-bent on bringing companies' email systems to their knees just for fun, any email administrator not taking every effort to protect the system (granted some of the efforts I've seen are a bit ridiculous) will likely find themselves without a job when a catastrophe strikes. Not something I'd risk my job over so someone could have email access from their phone.

InboxtoGo wireless will run a little program in the background on your desktop that automatically forwards your email through their servers to your phone.

When you run InboxtoGo on your phone and retrieve new mail, you are actually just going through their servers. When you send mail from your phone, it will backtrack through their servers again, contact your desktop and essentially send the mail through your desktop.

So the mail admins at your company never even know about it. It does require that you probably have admin rights on your local machine (so that the InboxtoGO program can run and access the internet OK), and that you have a certain level of trust in using THEIR servers (for instance, this wouldn't exactly fly at a secure DOD research facility!).

I've been using the demo version for a week now and it works well. The server is updated with your mail about every 15 mins.

It supports XLS and DOC attachments. The premier version supports PDF and PPT attachments I believe, but that's not avail for free demo.
    Peter L.

Also... there is another similar product call Symmetry Pro (or something like that). This was not as stable as InBoxtogo, and the desktop client often crashed, leaving me without any wireless email conduit. YOu could try it but it wasn't nearly as good as InBoxtoGo.
    Peter L.

Originally posted by plyons10
    InboxtoGo wireless will run a little program in the background on your desktop that automatically forwards your email through their servers to your phone.

When you run InboxtoGo on your phone and retrieve new mail, you are actually just going through their servers. When you send mail from your phone, it will backtrack through their servers again, contact your desktop and essentially send the mail through your desktop.

So the mail admins at your company never even know about it. It does require that you probably have admin rights on your local machine (so that the InboxtoGO program can run and access the internet OK), and that you have a certain level of trust in using THEIR servers (for instance, this wouldn't exactly fly at a secure DOD research facility!).

I've been using the demo version for a week now and it works well. The server is updated with your mail about every 15 mins.

It supports XLS and DOC attachments. The premier version supports PDF and PPT attachments I believe, but that's not avail for free demo.
    See? THIS is what makes this site such a GREAT resource. I'm not certain that Inboxtogo is the proper fit for me, but a demo will answer that question nicely.

A BIG Thank you for your help!

Oh, and LOL re: PatP's "elephant" analogy.!

Resident Curmudgeon
    Just be very carefull to get clearance to use this. I know that forwarding email that could contain either client or NDA information is grounds for termination where I work, so needless to say no one does it.

While your admin might not be aware of it, somebody will eventually find out, and I wouldn't risk my job to get email via my phone!

-PatP

Just be very carefull to get clearance to use this. I know that forwarding email that could contain either client or NDA information is grounds for termination where I work, so needless to say no one does it.

While your admin might not be aware of it, somebody will eventually find out, and I wouldn't risk my job to get email via my phone!

-PatP
    Good advice, of course. I spoke to the admin yesterday (an understanding sort) and was assured that if I chose a program, they would check it out before I purchased it to make certain that it wouldn't pose any issues for him/them.

Thanks again for the help. I have a BUNCH of programs to demo now to see which one I like best.

Can't you just create a Rule in Outlook

Instead of using another program that you have to install... what I do is create a Rule in Outlook.

I tell the rule to forward messages (either from a certain person or from everyone) to:

Either my POP mailbox to retreive later, or to my SMS address on my cell phone (if I am waiting for an important message)

Only caviot is: Outlook must be up an running for this to work. I just launch it in the morning, do a CTL+ALT+Delete and lock the machine up.

It works well....

There is also a limitation in the number of charichters for SMS, but it is a good "alarm" to tell you that the email came. Of course, the original email is still in your inbox.

-Patrick

Re: Can't you just create a Rule in Outlook

Originally posted by pkaine
    Instead of using another program that you have to install... what I do is create a Rule in Outlook.

I tell the rule to forward messages (either from a certain person or from everyone) to:

Only caviot is: Outlook must be up an running for this to work. I just launch it in the morning, do a CTL+ALT+Delete and lock the machine up.

-Patrick
    Thanks - I had already thought of that possiblity, but I'm not sure how to write that rule. I looked around Outlook's "Help" a bit, but didn't see anything specific.

The one problem with that method is that if I reply, the return e-mail address would be my personal one, which I don't necessarily want all my business contacts to have....

Originally posted by Shea
    The problems that I've had doing this are:
    1. My company has a VPN (security) that I can't seem to find a way around using the phone to try and access the server wirelessly.
    Mergic makes a VPN client. They have a trial version that you can download and check out. I use it to connet to my Microsoft VPN via PPTP and then I'm on the company's internal network and I can use Mobil Mail's IMAP client to snag my Exchange Inbox.

Mergic is at Mergic Web Site

jacques

Hi. If you don't mind - can you show me how to setup
    IMAP in Mobile Mail. I would like to do the same to pull my
    Corp mail. I can login directly to the Domain - just need to
    understand how to setup Mobile Mail. Thanks so much.

Originally posted by myDrPC
    Hi. If you don't mind - can you show me how to setup
    IMAP in Mobile Mail. I would like to do the same to pull my
    Corp mail. I can login directly to the Domain - just need to
    understand how to setup Mobile Mail. Thanks so much.
    Not a problem. If you can get directly to the server your company uses for email great, if it's on a VPN you'll need to use a client like Mergic .

Once you are on the network with the server, start Mobile Mail.

Do menu->options->Setup Wizard

Make sure your network preferences are correct to do this wirelessly I assume.

for the ISP: entry choose "Other", then hit next

Enter a name for the server, this is just so your recoginize which account your using

Then your name, again just for you.

your email address, then next

Name of incoming mail server: you should be able to get this from your network admin. It can be a name or IP address. In my case I went with the IP address of the exchange mail server on our corporate network.

Mail Type: IMAP4

your mail server username and password: these should be what you use internally to sign onto exchange server.

Finish

Then you do a sync->Get new mail->quick sync and you should be all set.

I probably made this more confusing than it actually is, but without screen shots it's a little tough to convey.

Let me know if you have any problems.

jacques