+ Reply to Thread

US Cellular switch-over to Verizon

Howdy,

I'm considering buying a particular 7135 that is currently on US Cellular and bringing to over to my Verizon service. The seller has the unlock code, and I've called Verizon with the ESN # and customer service says they forsee no issues.

Has anyone else done this? Does this sound like it'll work fine?

Thanks!

Re: US Cellular switch-over to Verizon

Originally posted by RalphEBurns
    I'm considering buying a particular 7135 that is currently on US Cellular and bringing to over to my Verizon service. The seller has the unlock code, and I've called Verizon with the ESN # and customer service says they forsee no issues.
    Has anyone else done this? Does this sound like it'll work fine?
    *Many* have brought 7125s from other providers to VZW. I believe the steps would go as follows:

1) Activate the ESN with VZW. Call customer service to do this. It should be free? If you are establishing a new account with VZW there may be a $35 charge?

2) Reset the unlock code to 000000. I believe that this may be necessary for the VZW Over The Air programming (OTA) to work.

3) Do *228. If your ESN is activated this should get you into VZW OTA.
    3a) select option 1) Programming your phone. This downloads your VZW phone number and some other configurable values (note: this does not do anything like download firmware).
    3b) select option 2) Download the latest Preferred Roaming List (PRL). I think this is included in step 1 but it can't hurt to do it again.

Worst case, and you may want to do this anyway if you have old firmware, you go to a VZW store and have them flash it and do the OTA stuff. Make sure the store has a tech who does this and has done it a few times already -- seems there is a bit of a learning curve there.

good luck,
    -Quick

Re: Re: US Cellular switch-over to Verizon

Originally posted by Quick
    *Many* have brought 7125s from other providers to VZW.
    oops... I know I have a 7135...

Gracias. I will follow your formula when task comes to hand.

Hey Quick, et. al.,

I'm stuck on Step #2 above. I enter the lock code to get into manual programming, but have no idea how to reset the lock code to "000000".

I do have the phone activated on VZW, but the phone is still running US Cellular type of firmware... I call in and out, but have no features of course...

I do have the service software and previously flashed my 6035... perhaps the same progam will flash the 7135 if I can gt ahold of the PRL, etc...

Ralph

Originally posted by RalphEBurns
    Hey Quick, et. al.,

I'm stuck on Step #2 above. I enter the lock code to get into manual programming, but have no idea how to reset the lock code to "000000".

I do have the phone activated on VZW, but the phone is still running US Cellular type of firmware... I call in and out, but have no features of course...

I do have the service software and previously flashed my 6035... perhaps the same progam will flash the 7135 if I can gt ahold of the PRL, etc...

Ralph
    What happens when you dial *611? Do you get VZW customer service? If so, what happens when you dial *228? Do you get VZW OTA programming. Does option 1 work? option 2?

How familiar are you with the manual programming part?

-Quick

If I dial *611 of *228 I connect to Verizon... but if I try option #1 or #2 they fail.

I just spend the last hour at the Verizon store, raging incompentence (spelling), and the last 1/2 on the phone with Wireless tech support.

I can navigate thru manual...

Ralph
    Last edited by RalphEBurns; 02-19-2004 at 07:48 PM.

Yo, thanks for the help... I'll try at the store unless someone can send to me an KWPST for the 7135 & the Verizon PRI version. (Please :o) )

Ralph
    rburns@ascent-design.com