+ Reply to Thread

Verizon has discontinued the 7135?

My mom's 7135 was stolen this weekend, luckily she has insurance.

She's on the phone right now arguing with Verizon and the insurance company though because they say that the 7135 has been discontinued! What's with that? Has anyone heard of this? I must admit, I haven't been active on these forums since the old days of smartphonesource.com so I'm not up on all the gossip here.

We've made a large investment into the 7135 and if Verizon has in fact dropped it then we're going to have a real problem. At the very least we need to replace her 7135 with another Palm OS smartphone, but I can't find any others on Verizon's web site and they no longer have any mention of the 7135.

Does anyone have any insight into this? Shouldn't the insurance company have to replace the phone with the same model even if the cell carrier doesn't provide it anymore?

Thanks,

Matt "Cool Cat"
    Sorry, but I no longer make 7135 headset adapters.

Good place for Bill Gates SilvrDrgn's Avatar
    I would say regardless of the 7135 status with Verizon, the insurance company has to replace it with something comparable at the very least. That's what she's paying the insurance premium amount for!
    Michael

There will come a time for all phones that they are no longer available even through insurance. I am surprised it is this early for the 7135, but all they have to do is replace it with a like model.

She might want to call back and talk to a second rep.
    My sordid past:

Kyocera 6035, Kyocera 7135, Samsung i700, iPAQ 6315, iPAQ hx4705, Motorola a630, BB 7100t, iPAQ rx3115, JAM 850, BB 8700g, Samsung i320 (just for fun), imate KJAM, TMO SDA, MDA, TMO Wing

Re: Verizon has discontinued the 7135?

Originally posted by coolcat
    My mom's 7135 was stolen this weekend, luckily she has insurance.

She's on the phone right now arguing with Verizon and the insurance company though because they say that the 7135 has been discontinued! .

Does anyone have any insight into this? Shouldn't the insurance company have to replace the phone with the same model even if the cell carrier doesn't provide it anymore?
    Its the battery recall thing... huge thread(s) on this. Last I've heard (on here) is that they should be available again any time now.

At to the insurance. I assume you have the add-on insurance? If so, they are 3rd party and not VZW. I would think you could argue that you insured a 7135. It has nothing to do with whether VZW currently carries it or not. If they have them (for any other carriers) you want a 7135 replacement. I'm pretty sure others (here?) have received replacement 7135s from insurance even during the battery recall.

Note: I believe your insurance wording will state something to the effect of "same or equivalent". Certainly we don't think there is an "equivalent" but you may not have a legal recourse there. At least you could argue that "equivalent", at the very least, would mean a Palm smartphone -- Treo, etc. It only has to be CDMA to work on VZW.

good luck,
    -Quick

Verizon may never carry the 7135 again, but it has not been discontinued as far as Kyocera is concerned. The insurance company can always get the phone through them and you can have it activated on Verizon.

I asked customer service at Kyocera when they were going to kiss and make up with Verizon. They responded that I should be patient and Verizon would have the 7135 available again. No time frame! I'm a 6035 user who's contract is up and I WANT A 7135!!

MEL
    Here's THE thing (for me). Why should any consumer suffer the time and research to fix SO MANY different OS and application problems, spend "fix it" time or deal with anything but 100% service satisfaction!!! The hell with Kyocera. I purchased and used the 6035 and 7135 from the time they came to market. I loved the form factor -- and functionality WHEN IT WORKED!! My experience -- lack of a superior product across all forms and functions, system stability and product/service provider superior support does NOT warrant my continued investment in time and capital. Screw em. I'm switching to a product that understands all of this -- if there is any in this decade.

Koodos to Kyocera for being the first (as far as I know) to develop a wonderful concept and bring it to market. Too bad they did not understand what it took to make their product a worthy and long term competitor. RIP.

In my humble opinion.

Originally posted by MEL
    I'm switching to a product that understands all of this -- if there is any in this decade.
    So Mel...are you just venting here, or are you REALLY switching? And if so, pray tell, what are you switching to???
    Dave

I was seriously thinking of switching a couple of months ago, but there was nothing to switch to! I'm locked into Verizon (actually, by choice - it's the best reception in my area). I looked through every nook and cranny of Verizon's store and website, but didn't see any Palm OS PDA that is at all comparable to my Kyocera.

Yeah, Matt -- with all due respect, what will you switch to?

Barb

MEL
    Since you asked, Dave, that was a moment of ventilation. I will switch though, when a worthy 7135 competitor is availalbe. Come to think of it, if the 7135 is no longer available to purchase there is no such thing as a competitor -- only historical alternatives. That's why I'm prepared to wait until my 7135 no longer works, takes too much re$ource to support or a replacement smartphone comes to market. When a replacement does become available I will be a much MUCH more informed evaluator thanks to Kyocera and this forum.

CJK
    I have been waiting. And waiting. And waiting. I have contacted Kyocera, which originally said that the phone would be available again at the middle of January, then at the end of January, then at the end of February. Most recently, they're telling me they can't give a release date, and refuse to speculate about it any more. Verizon has done the same. The manager of my local Verizon store told me last night that he honestly thinks it's a good bet that Verizon will not carry the 7135 any more. So I ordered a Samsung i600. He told me that if the 7135 comes out in a "reasonable" amount of time (the next few months) and I am unhappy with the Samsung, he'll swap them for me. About time I get some customer service from a company I pay more than $2,000 per year.

Had A Terrible phone/ground incident with my 7135 last week and called the insurance company Lock/Line in my case. they took my info and the next day recieved a "new" 7135I-B FedEx overnight with no problems. incedently my old phone was not the 7135I-B. People have said that they are physically different. They are NOT! exactly the same, exept for the antenna to which I kept the old one. Had them both for a week before I returned my old . one to compare. Never got any indication from the insurance company about it being discontinued. recieved it on 2-10-04.

Discontinued?

I see Alltel has the 7135 on its site.

DrJ
    I found out today that there is at least one Alltel retail store in our city that has them in stock and is selling them again (I didn't check all of the Alltel stores, but I would assume that if one is the rest are also.)

Never Forget 9/11/01 kerryclair's Avatar
    So CoolCat - what happened with your moms phone? Did Verizon work it oout with you, or cough up a refund on your insurance premiums?

Hi All, new here, I just bought my 7135, brand spankin new, never taken out of the bags on Ebay to replace my trusty 6035 even though that phone worked great. Yesterday I called the Verizon customer service number and asked for insurance for my phone and it was offered right away for $3.99/mo., but the really odd part was he said he could see it was activated the previous day and asked if I purchased it from Verizon. Even though it wasn't bought through Verizon the insurance went through. I just thought I'd share that with everyone.
    Last edited by Hotrod 37; 02-20-2004 at 10:59 AM.

Hi HotRod,

I remember bidding against you when I bought my 7135 on EBay

Glad to see you finally got one. Hope all is well with it.

I had a digitizer problem with my 7135. Called Verizon Wednesday and received my replacement yesterday (Thursday).
    David Irwin
    MCSE, CNA, A+

It turns out that the insurance company was having phone troubles at the worst time. They weren't answering at all, not for Verizon or us. When my mom finally got to talk to them they agreed to replace the 7135, but they didn't have any in stock. They said it will take 7-10 days for their order to come in before they ship one out to her. She's back to her 6035 until the new 7135 arrives. The real bummer is that she also lost the SD card that was in the phone, no insurance on that. Thankfully she's been following my advice and she had a backup HotSync from the day that the phone was lost. Verizon was trying to get her to switch to a Samsung phone, but they're all crappy Pocket PCs, NO THANK YOU! We DO NOT do Windoze! In any form.

Later,

Cool Cat
    Sorry, but I no longer make 7135 headset adapters.