+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Almost on a 5th phone - HELP!

Always something new with the amazing 7135... If this has been discussed already, please let me know, but I've already done a search, and had no success.

Some background: I'm currently on my FOURTH 7135, and I've had no problems with this one since I got it about three months ago... until last night.

I was talking on the phone for about 30 minutes. After I finished, I closed the phone for about one hour. When I re-opened it, attempting to use the Palm features, here is what I encountered:

1. The stylus position was suddenly off (to the left) by about half an inch. (This was the first time I've ever encountered this.)
    2. I manually entered the digitizer feature from the preferences, and attempted to re-calibrate the digitizer.
    3. I was ABLE to get past phase 1 - the screen digitizer.
    4. I was UNable to get past phase 2 - the grafitti area digitizer. No matter how many times I click the "top left corner" and "bottom right corner" of the grafitti area, it prompts me to do it again and again and again... FOREVER!
    5. Soft reset: automatically prompted back to digitizer where points 3. and 4. (above) are duplicated.
    6. Hard reset: automatically prompted back to digitizer where points 3. and 4. (above) are duplicated.
    7. Cradle reset: automatically prompted back to digitizer where points 3. and 4. (above) are duplicated.
    8. Leaving the battery out for hours and trying points 5. or 6. or 7.: automatically prompted back to digitizer where points 3. and 4. (above) are duplicated.

Sorry to state the obvious, but I've never dropped it, or banged it up, or gotten it wet. This is quite a different problem from my previous (and as I understand, typical) 'black screens of death,' which resulted in my having to get new phones, and I'd really like to avoid getting a FIFTH 7135, so ANY help would be appreciated. Thanks so much!

If you are on Verizon, here is a long shot for you:

From the phone screen, as if you were dialing a number, enter 111111 (that is six ones). Use the up/down button to go down to options and select it with the OK button.

Choose Service Interface. Choose Reset.

You should not lose any data, but be sure to be backed up in case. This is sort of like doing a soft reset, but there are some diagnostics that are run that may put you back on track.

leucadian: Thanks very much for your suggestion! However, two problems here:

(A) I cannot get to the phone screen. ANY time I try to power up the phone in ANY way, I am FIRST prompted into the digitizer, where the fatal cycle (mentioned in my previous post) continues without end.
    (B) I'm not on Verizon, but because of problem (A), I guess it doesn't really matter.

Thanks anyway, though! If anyone else has any tips, I'm all ears!

Good place for Bill Gates SilvrDrgn's Avatar
    Have you followed the "crash reset" procedure ???

It's basically the same thing as a hard reset, but with a minor difference. Take out the battery. Then hold the reset button with the stylus for a minimum of 60 seconds. Hold it longer if you want to be "absolutely sure". This will drain the internal backup power source. Next, hold the backlight button down and insert the battery at the same time. This should initiate another hard reset. Press the "up" button (above the OK button) to answer yes to the clear all data prompt.

Hopefully that will work for you. If it does, remember that your internal backup power source is now drained. It does not get charged from the main battery. The main battery must be in a completely charged up state first. In order to recharge the internal backup power source, you must plug the phone into a powered cradle, a travel charger or a car charger for a while. I would recommend at least an hour for that. Remember, the main battery must be completely charged first. So, if it's charging when you plug in the 7135, you'll have to wait another hour after the main battery charging gets done.
    Michael

SilvrDrgn: Thanks for your input. Actually, I have also tried the "crash reset," and unfortunately, I'm still having the same problem. The future looks grim for me, doesn't it? I guess I'm probably headed for another phone. Thanks anyway!

Good place for Bill Gates SilvrDrgn's Avatar
    Yep, I think you're going to have to go for phone #5. Sorry.
    Michael

Oooooooooffffff!!! Five times! Whoever heard of such madness? Can't wait for the Samsung SGH-i530. Thanks to everyone for the help.

Out of curiousity (and prevention), what apps do you have on your unit? Any recent installs? Using any hacks? As a newbie, I'm trying to avoid consistent problems without impairing the usefulness of a converged device. (Not implying that you are mismanaging your device - only looking to avoid having to get 5 phones!)

Thanks for the feedback.

trcarlsson: No problem with the feedback. I haven't been using any hacks, and very few 3rd party applications; just a couple of games, and that's it. And for over three months, I didn't have any problems with this phone, until last night.

Wish I could give you some advice, but I guess I've come to learn this: Add a lot of hacks and 3rd party apps, your 7135 might screw you; add NO hacks and NO 3rd party apps, your 7135 still might screw you. Either way, Kyocera and their so-called customer service department will ALWAYS screw you (as I've learned today, after waiting on hold for over 80 minutes, only to be told that they probably won't be able to get me a replacement phone until next week. Thanks, Kyocera.)

Sorry to be such a pessimist, but I'm really starting to hate the Kyo Corporation.

...Especially after one of their customer service reps made HEAVY RACIST comments to me a few months ago on the phone (more about that, upon your request). That should have spelled the end of my relationship with that company, but unfortunately, with no comparable product (in Canada), and no refund being offered to me, I'm at the mercy of Kyo until something better comes along and I have the money to buy it!

Good luck with yours! And wish me luck on my fifth! By the way, anybody know if companies like Samsung offer better customer support? And do SPH-i500 or Treo 600 owners encounter as many problems (technical and/or customer support) as us 7135 people do?

Originally posted by Steve Flow
    ...Especially after one of their customer service reps made HEAVY RACIST comments to me a few months ago on the phone (more about that, upon your request).

Good luck with yours! And wish me luck on my fifth! By the way, anybody know if companies like Samsung offer better customer support? And do SPH-i500 or Treo 600 owners encounter as many problems (technical and/or customer support) as us 7135 people do?
    Sorry to hear you had such issues with Kyocera... if subjected to that by a customer service rep, I try to get ahold of a superior to discuss. Not always easy or worth my time, though....

As for the questions on the other devices, you might try the forums for those. I've heard 2nd hand about lots of issues, but never looked into any, as I wasn't considering any other device. I may have to some day, but I certainly hope not.

Just on the face of things, if you've had problems with so many phones, I'd assume that there is something wrong on your end that you may not be aware of.

It doesn't sound like there is anything wrong with your software. I applaud your eschewing hacks.

It may be something in your environment that you have no control over.

Do you live near power lines ? Do you drive near power lines or the pantagraphs from commuter trains?

How about a static electricity discharge from walking across a carpet ?

Do you use OEM Car and Home chargers ? Sometimes third party chargers can screw things up.

Is it particularly humid in your area. Do you leave the phone near any extreme source of heat or cold ?

Maybe you get power spikes in your house when you try to charge the battery ?

I'm not sure that I'm being helpful. And, as I said, it may be something that you are totally unaware of, it just seems to me that if FIVE phones go bad in the same environment it points to the environment, not the phone.

But I could be wrong...................
    Last edited by Schavlan; 02-18-2004 at 07:56 AM.
    I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy

On the same note how about the sync cradle I assume you get a new one with the replacement phone, Or perhaps the computer your syncing with or its ports. Just some thoughts as well.
    mg

rfreschner: I guess I wasn't entirely fair to Kyocera. After one of their agents made the racist remarks that I mentioned, I certainly did contact a supervisor (but, as you suspected, had quite a headache in attempting to do so). A month later, I received a (pretty insincere) apology letter from the original agent who had made the comments. Not quite enough, if you ask me, but better than nothing, I suppose. And thanks for the tip; I'll be sure to check the other forums. Believe me, I would rather not give up my 7135 (at least, not until the Samsung SGH-i530 is available and I have a bit more money to get it), but I'm starting to feel like I need to draw the line. I just don't feel right continuing to support Kyocera when they treat their customers this way.

Schavlan: Thanks for the suggestions. Actually, only FOUR phones have gone bad, and I'm about to receive my fifth (fingers crossed). And I definitely thought it might have been an environmental problem after the first three phones, since each of them died in rapid succession in the EXACT same way: 'black screen of death.' Funny, but every time one of those ones died, I contacted Kyo tech support right away once I received my new one. Together, the Kyo tech and I tried to determine any environmental/computer factors that might have contributed to the deaths of my previous phones. For the first two replacements, Kyo tech could find no problems. Ironically, though, for the third replacement (my fourth phone), it was the racist tech agent who helped me determine a problem: she suggested that if I created a new HotSync ID, I would never experience this problem again. Sounded like a long-shot, but she was right! Never had the 'black screen of death' again after that. Instead, this NEW problem is entirely different from the previous ones. The digitizer problem seems completely unrelated; after all, the phone still powers up this time, while the other times, it was totally dead. Anyway, in answer to your questions: no power lines nearby or in my line of commute, only using genuine Kyocera chargers and parts (even the leather case! ), it's very cold here in Toronto right now, but no colder than previous winters with my old Palm V, there's always a possibility of power spikes, but no other equipment here is affected. So, for the first three, it was likely a corrupt file in my old HotSync ID that caused 'black screens of death,' but since that's been corrected, it seems that this digitizer problem is strictly coincidental, unrelated to my environment or computer. But you never know, I could always be wrong! Thanks for the help, though.

MGuzzy: Good suggestion. I've never switched the HotSync cradle, so I'll try that with my next phone. The computer I'm now syncing with is only a month old, but I don't see how that could create digitizer recognition problems.

Any suggestions on how to prevent another problem once I get my new, fifth phone? Or do you think this digitizer problem is strictly coincidental, as I suspect?

Thanks again!

Last longshot here: You mentioned that the digitizer was off to the left by a half an inch. Have your tried to push the geographical limits of the graffiti area? In other words, the reason you are not able to get past digitizing that area is (theoretically) that when you attempt to input your taps in the designated spots (Contrast & 123 spots), the grafitti pad is not recognizing your entry as a valid place on the pad (i've noticed this when i've missed while trying to digitize one handed in a car when i've missed the dots - no comments on safety). So, have you tried to use a spot to the left of the contact dot (but not so far as to hit the home button) and the the 123 dot?

trcarlsson: Thanks for the suggestion. I had already tried a number of "alternate" contact points on the grafitti area, but I decided to try it one last time, right now, exactly the way you suggested. No luck, unfortunately - right back into the vicious loop described in my original point 4.

Thanks anyway, though! Nice to see that there are so many concerned 7135 people!

sci
    If you use them did you try taking off any screen protectors, both main screen and graffiti area?

Used both. Took off both. No success. Good suggestion, though. Thanks!

I have a different problem history, but I'm now on my third phone, contemplating a fourth.
    1. The phone function went spastic, couldn't see the network anymore (Verizon).
    2. The "zero" key stopped working altogher.
    3. The "zero" key is beginning to work inconsistently.

It's not that I place a lot of calls to the operator, either. I've actually had to change my passwords and speed dials to eliminate the zero. Grrrr. I actually like the phone a whole lot -- when it's not giving me trouble. Durned good thing they have decent service.

Originally posted by mikewillnot
    I have a different problem history, but I'm now on my third phone, contemplating a fourth.
    1. The phone function went spastic, couldn't see the network anymore (Verizon).
    2. The "zero" key stopped working altogher.
    3. The "zero" key is beginning to work inconsistently.

It's not that I place a lot of calls to the operator, either. I've actually had to change my passwords and speed dials to eliminate the zero. Grrrr. I actually like the phone a whole lot -- when it's not giving me trouble. Durned good thing they have decent service.
    My whole keypad/hardware buttons failed, then started working, then failed and now they are responding spastically. I am pretty much done with this phone....

Fortunately, none of my previous four duds ever had keypad trouble. I guess that's something for me to look forward to on the FIFTH!