+ Reply to Thread

Post Using an external GPS with a 7135

I have loaded the Fugawi Palm Based GPS mapping software and I need to find a GPS that will work with the 7135 and Palm 4.1.

I have a TripNav 200 USB that doesn't work because it frequires a driver for the Virtual Comm port interface.

Any exeprience would be appreciated

John
    johnh@canada.com

Not sure if this is what you are looking for, but this is the best discussion with all that you need to make it work that I have seen. I'm actually ready to do this so I'm shopping.

Hertz NeverLost functionality w/7135?

Thx for the info

I have borrowed a Garmin eMap with a DB9 serial interface. It is NMEA compliant, so, I'll post next week whether my 7135 was recognizing the serial inout from the eMap.

Thx for your help

Cool hope it works out, post pictures of how it looks if you could.

thanks
    e

I have used mine with my Garmin eTrex Legend. You need a null modem and gender changer to connect between the serial cable of each device (~ <$10 at radio shack).

Alan

My Garmin GPS V worked just fine with my Kyo using Mapopolis software. I had to get a null modem gender changer and connect it to the docking station's serial port.

I bought a RadioShack DigiTraveler which is a receiver only, no screen or any buttons. It came with cables for iPaq, Palm m series, and regular serial. It also came with DeLorme Xmap software for Windows, Palm and PocketPC.

Due to the 7135's very special interface connection, I had to get their $40 OEM Serial Data cable. I made a custom adapter cable to go from the 7135 data cable straight to the DigiTraveler by clipping a 4-wire phone cord and connecting it to a male DB9 connector, and wiring it like a null-modem adapter and gender changer in one. Plus, I made it about 6 inches long, so I only have about 4.5 ft of cable total.

Unfortunately during the testing and rewiring of the custom cable, I think I smoked the 7135 serial data cable. You see, it has an Integrated circuit chip in the DB9 end of the adapter, so there's no getting around it or making it shorter. I had it working briefly though, and the regular cradle works the same.

I used it with the cradle in the car a few times, with the receiver on the dash. The 7135's processor is a little slow, and the display is a little small to be useful in the car, but it is a neat gadget nonetheless.

-Andrew

what is the wiring diagram for a custom digitraveler to 7135 connector? The null modem and gender changer are very awkward.

Thanks,
    Dave

Acap--

I saw this post from another thread, would you have had better success with this setup:

Glenn...if you can still find a Radio Shack DigiTraveler (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...2&category=4668), that's the cheapest GPS you'll find....works great with my Kyo 6035 and TripPilot.

You'll need the Kyo Data Kit with Null Modem along with a DigiTraveler adapter (http://www.twstore.com/gpsdigipc.html).

I bought my DigiTraveler on EBay for around $42...

Since I don't have a Kyo 7135 with SDIO, I can't keep maps on my Kyo 6035. You can use the included XMap (Delorme.com) software that comes with the DigiTraverl if you want to use your SDIO.
    Understanding is the comprehension of knowledge; wisdom is the application of knowledge.