+ Reply to Thread

It is possible to store MP3s in the internal memory?, i have a kyocera with no SD :(

I want to know if it's possible to listen mp3s and save my music in the internal memory.

I bought my phone outside from US and i didn't notice, but it doesn't come come with the SD memeory card.

I can't even beleive that videos don't support audio either.

i want to shot my self on face.
    Last edited by underp; 02-18-2004 at 10:26 PM.

Negative. Palm OS 4.x only supports PDB/PRC files in the internal RAM.

is not possible to listen the audio of my videos either ?

how is that possible ?

Resident Curmudgeon
    At least as far as I know, all of the Kyocera 7135 phones come without an SD card. You simply troop down to your favorite store (even Wal-Mart carries SD cards) and pick up the SD card of your choice. FWIW if you are like everyone that I know, then buy the largest card you can comfortably afford... You'll be amazed at just how much stuff you'll want to put on it!

-PatP

Originally posted by underp

how is that possible ?
    The Palm OS does not support anything other than PDB and PRC files. Since the 7135 MP3 player, plays native MP3 files, you have to use an SD or MMC card to house them.

Now, if you can find an audio program for the Palm, that converts audio files to a PDB, then you can load them into the internal memory. However, I do not think this exists (at least not a good one), nor would you find this worthwile considering that you only have 16MB of internal memory to share between applications and user data/files. An average MP3 file @ 128kbps is 1MB per minute of music. So you might fit 2-3 songs on the average 7135 loaded with applications and data.

The same goes for video. Some applications like Fireviewer, will convert videos to a PDB format, and those can be loaded into the internal memory. Again, the space is limited, and if MP3's take up 1MB per minute on average, a video is going to be far worse.

Your only real option here is to invest in a SD or MMC card of at least 128MB. 128MB will house most any album @ 128kbps (or even 160kbps). Details on the the rest of that process (loading MP3's, converting, etc) can be found by searching the 7135 forum.

I know this thread is about loading MP3's to the 7135 and the related issue of using SD cards. But I just want to stick my nose in and remind everyone that if your reluctant about invesing in a SD card that they are useful for more than just saving MP3's. Such as:
    -Storing backups of the phone- worth the price of the card if you ask me.
    -Storing data files, Docs, utilities, pics, movies, etc, and yes MP3s.
    -storing files for general usage that may not be related to the Palm, I use mine as a transfer media between computers for example.
    -Storing apps that can be run from the card thus freeing up Palm RAM
    -Transfering apps to the PDA w/o the need to sync

Just to name a few. I think they are an integral part of the phone and I don't konw how any semi-serious 7135 user could get along with out one. OK I'm getting off my soap box now.
    mg
    Luck is where opportunity meets preparation.

A 7135 and D7A-G in a Civic Hybrid! KB2PMD's Avatar
    Well, here's an interesting thing one could do, and it would certainly verify whether or not the problems 7135s have playing higher-bitrate MP3s, with type 'MP3P' and creator 'demo' (or, did I get that backwards? I can't tell from here).. then, go into the original MP3 player that came with our phones, go to the about menu and then demo. It would only be for one song, but would certainly answer the question as to why we can't play higher-encoded mp3s.

Ok, I got it! Create a high-bitrate (160kbps+) mp3 using the MP3 maker, set the type to 'demo', renname it in windows to LIGHTSOLO.pdb, and hotsync it to the Palm!

I'm going to try this today, see how it works...
    Last edited by KB2PMD; 02-20-2004 at 09:39 AM.
    If you haven't already, please vote on a bluetooth voice AND data adapter for the 7135 (that plugs into the serial port, leaving your expansion card slot free!)

Originally posted by KB2PMD
    Well, here's an interesting thing one could do, and it would certainly verify whether or not the problems 7135s have playing higher-bitrate MP3s, with type 'MP3P' and creator 'demo' (or, did I get that backwards? I can't tell from here).. then, go into the original MP3 player that came with our phones, go to the about menu and then demo. It would only be for one song, but would certainly answer the question as to why we can't play higher-encoded mp3s.

Ok, I got it! Create a high-bitrate (160kbps+) mp3 using the MP3 maker, set the type to 'demo', renname it in windows to LIGHTSOLO.pdb, and hotsync it to the Palm!

I'm going to try this today, see how it works...
    Sorry won't work -- That file is in ROM not RAM.

It shouldn't matter.. the MP3 player makes a standard API call looking for a particular file with creator/type and name, and the function returns the starting address... while I can't verify that (I no longer have the MP3 player), I'm rather sure it will work.
    If you haven't already, please vote on a bluetooth voice AND data adapter for the 7135 (that plugs into the serial port, leaving your expansion card slot free!)

LIGHTSOLO.PDB

You can not have 2 files with the same name, type and creator on your palm. Since this file is in ROM you will first have to remove it using jackflash/sprat before you will be able to hotsynch you own file to the palm.

Actually, you can, for example, if you had an updated DateBook program installed in your RAM, overwriting the one in the ROM, when you try to run the application, it will run off the RAM first.

Originally posted by underp

how is that possible ?
    I use Kinoma Player 1.5.1.1, which works fine, with audio. You can only see so much in 160 x 160 pixels, but there are a few small movies I like to keep with me. Kinoma translates the desktop video (mpeg, for example) into a .pdb so it can be stored internally as well as on an SD card, but even a few minutes of video takes up a few Mb, so you'll want an SD card anyway.

http://www.kinoma.com .. Version 2 is out now, and the 7135 is on its compatibility list, but I haven't used it personally so I can't comment. Version 1.5 works great though.

-jason

sci
    Back on topic. Heres a though that will let you play MP3's from your phone without an SD card. I'll warn you there are a couple of compromises, mainly you'll just be able to play one song at a time, you can have as many songs on the phone as memory allows but you have to tell it to play each song independantely. Oh you probably won't be able to take calls while you do this either.

Using the MP3 to ringer conversion tool that came with the phone simply convert the songs of choice into "ringers". They will be converted to .pdb files. load them onto the phone. To play them go into the Prefs Phone/Incoming Calls display and select it as your ringer type. When you switch ringers it plays the ringer selected so you can listen to it that way. When the songs over simply select the next song/ringer you want to listen to. When fininshed reselect your standard ringer type and thats it. What do you think?

OK sci... sure.. you could do that, but technically (hey... it's all technical, isn't it), you're not playing an MP3 anymore, are you?
    Peter L.

sci

Talking

Details, details, your killing me with them.