+ Reply to Thread

aol "failed to esablish services"

Anybody else have the AOL for Palm client?
    (the one they were charging $20 for).
    I can't sign on any more, getting "failed to establish services" error.
    I was trying to find clean version to use to re-install, but can't get it without paying the $20 again.
    So:
    1. does anybody know where I can download a copy of this (i think it's up to version 3.1)?
    2. is anybody else getting these errors?

I have the new version of AOL for Palm. My question is as follows: Why does it literally take 2 minutes before the aol software actually connects? Is there a setting on the phone that I'm missing?????

AOL Version 3.1

I'm using AOL Version 3.1. I used to get that same error until I did a soft reset. You should be able to find the software at http://aol.com/anywhere/ or call (866) 265-4732. Hope this helps

Why does it literally take 2 minutes before the aol software actually connects? Is there a setting on the phone that I'm missing?????

Im not sure why its taking you 2 minutes. I timed it. It took me about 16 seconds to establish the data connection then about 30 seconds to get online for a total of 45 seconds. I'm with Alltel. Is it taking you 2 minutes including establishing your data connection?

I have AOL for Palm version 3.0 and sometimes it works. I also have AOL Mail version 1.2 which just gets me email only. It dials 777 to connect and it always works.

i used to have the older version and it worked perfectly,then it all the sudden stopped working andi got the failed to establish services message.they told me the old version is for palm 3.5 and below os,and i now needed to get the new version for palm os 3.5 and higher.i paid another 20 dollars because they wouldnt upgrade,now the new version works fine and quickly.the only diff is the new version doesnt have the "my aol" content
    B.Andrew "Andy" Brown,MSW
    Executive Director,Camp Livingston.Inc

interesting. i just spoke to AOL tech support, and they didn't say anything about the new version for palm 3.5 (doesn't surprise me!). Do you have a URL to this new version? Or better still, if you felt gracious enough to email me a copy, I'd be a friend for life (though I'm not sure what value that might have to you!). Please PM me if so.
    Thanks

Originally posted by camplivingston
    i used to have the older version and it worked perfectly,then it all the sudden stopped working andi got the failed to establish services message.they told me the old version is for palm 3.5 and below os,and i now needed to get the new version for palm os 3.5 and higher.i paid another 20 dollars because they wouldnt upgrade,now the new version works fine and quickly.the only diff is the new version doesnt have the "my aol" content

the version i am referring to is 3.1 i will try to figure out how to send you a copy
    B.Andrew "Andy" Brown,MSW
    Executive Director,Camp Livingston.Inc

For a free version that works great, go to http://www.aol.co.uk/aim/palm/

I've never had any delays in connection, and as I said, it's FREE.
    Ron Honey
    7135 Nut

Thanks, Ron.
    That's a good AIM client.
    The thing about the $20 full AOL client is that it also does email.

Originally posted by ronhoney
    For a free version that works great, go to http://www.aol.co.uk/aim/palm/

I've never had any delays in connection, and as I said, it's FREE.