+ Reply to Thread

Question Upgrading firmware - Alltel phone on Verizon

I have an Alltel phone (given to me in December) that I have activated on Verizon's network. All of the PDA functions seem to be working just fine, but some of the phone functions are not working right. I can check voice mail and check email just fine, and all my calls seem to be going through just fine, but I can't update my PRL by dialing whatever the number is (can't remember it offhand), can't check my minutes using *646, and when I log on to Verizonwireless.com to check my minutes it doesn't seem to be recognizing any of my mobile-to-mobile calls correctly (it said I had NO mobile-to-mobile calls at all last month, and I call my husband on his cell phone at least once a day, and my kid sister is on Verizon, among others...).

Verizon tech support told me to go into a Verizon store and have my phone 'flashed'. When I got there, I was told that the only software they 'flash' is the PDA software - not the phone software, and that they have 'fried' several Alltel phones when they attempted to flash them with Verizon software. The number I was given was two out of five attempted were fried - not a very good success rate!

The woman in the store told me that I should contact Kyocera directly. I was under the impression that several people on this board had successfully updated an Alltel phone with Verizon firmware. Am I mistaken? Has anyone had a phone destroyed this way?

I'd really rather not risk losing my phone - I don't have the $$ to replace it, and I believe it is out of warranty. And if not, would the warranty even cover something like this?

Any suggestions or personal experiences would be greatly appreciated!

-Karyl

Where are you located?
    ---------------
    The same thing we do every night, Pinky...

I'm in Phoenix...

-Karyl

I have an Alltel phone with the original software. #646 works just fine. (Note its #646 not *646 !)

Well, I have an original Alltel version and it updates the PRL with no problem. Something may have gotten corrupted. You could backup your info and try a hard reset or a crash reset (someone recently posted a how-to on that one) and see if that works. If you've already tried that, Phoenix is a big enough city that there should be more than one store that can do upgrades. I would call around until you find one that does a better job at upgrading if you want to go that route. Even if I had a Verizon version 7135 I wouldn't want someone who had a 40% failure rate getting their grubby little paws on my precious.
    ---------------
    The same thing we do every night, Pinky...

Firmware, alltel to vz

Try another store with tech support on hand, theres no reason a phone would fry, also consider this, it installs grafitti2, which takes some getting used to.

Good place for Bill Gates SilvrDrgn's Avatar

Re: Firmware, alltel to vz

Originally posted by phnguyk
    also consider this, it installs grafitti2, which takes some getting used to.
    Correct. Going back to Graffiti 1 is next to impossible without buying some third party software like Jot or TealScript. (I use TealScript.)
    Michael

Thanks for the info! I didn't realize the bit about Graffiti2 - I might just have to pay for fitaly stamp (I've been playing with the demo version for about a week).

Right now I'm off to call Verizon tech support again... I had a problem with my mobile-to-mobile calls not registering correctly, and they told me to switch my roam option to 'no roaming'. Since then I can't get a signal, even after switching back to 'automatic'.

This all may be moot - I'm considering switching to Alltel if Verizon can't get this straightened out.

-Karyl

I just had mine converted from Alltel to Verizon, but not without pleading and crying at the local VZ store, whereupon they sent it to Ky and they did it - no frying done. Phone powers up with the fancy Verizon Wireless banner now and the whole POS works just as bad as all of the other people on here complain about.

This was a big mistake and as soon as I can find a phone to switch to I am out of here.

beware of switching from verizon to alltel because of technical support.
    i switched from alltel to verizon for that very reason (and the fact verizon has stronger coverage in this city as far as being inside buildings etc).
    alltel does not support this phone and will not sell you insurance. if you have problems they make you send it off to kyocera for 2 weeks for help.
    i too live in phoenix and im telling you the grass is not greener on the other side.
    Alan

When I couldn't get my Alltel phone flashed by a local vzw store they had me call "wireless data services"...a division of CS who promptly filled out a replacement order with no real questions...my problem wasn't voice-service related, though...the phone wouldn't make any data connections at all.

Matt
    Chicago

Re: Upgrading firmware - Alltel phone on Verizon

Originally posted by karylr
    When I got there, I was told that the only software they 'flash' is the PDA software - not the phone software, and that they have 'fried' several Alltel phones when they attempted to flash them with Verizon software. The number I was given was two out of five attempted were fried - not a very good success rate!

-Karyl
    If they are only flashing the palm side without the coresponding phone side flash, it is no wonder they think they are frying 40% of them. You need to do two flashes to upgrade a 7135, both the palm and the phone. It is very likly that the latest palm side flash is not compatible with the original phone side that Alltel released with (VZW released with a later firmware version, that may not have as much problem with mis-matched firmware loads).

Alan

Its no wonder that Alltel won't "support" the phone when they do goofy things like that!
    mg
    Luck is where opportunity meets preparation.

Well, this might be a moot point for me... After some time on the phone with VZW tech support my phone quit being able to get a connection - it showed 'searching'.

Kyocera tech support told me to have Verizon flash it - which Verizon flat out refused to do. So I got an RMA# from Kyocera, and they should be receiving it today if my UPS tracking info is correct.

Hopefully all will be fixed when I get the phone back!

-Karyl