+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Immersed in water and lived

I dropped my phone yesterday into, well, never mind where, and it got a pretty thorough soaking for 2 or 3 seconds.

Removed battery, unscrewed antenna, removed stylus, removed SD card, left SD and headphone covers open and opened flip, then let it air dry overnight.

Seems to be working fine today. Anything else I should do now?

please feel free to see if you can find my phone that I dropped into the east river (NYC) by the ferry terminals about 5 months ago. If it works, it's yours

Drew
    The one who dies with the most toys WINS :-)

mine got wet and I found the procedure to be the same ... take out the batter, give ample time for drying and it might just come back to life.

damn. spoke too soon. now all the numeric keys, plus dial and hangup, and sometimes the app buttons, have stopped responding.

anything else i can do before the funeral?

It is not hard to take apart the case, you just need the right size torx bit for the four screws on the back (and a couple inside the case). The T6 sized bit worked fine when I took apart both my 7135s. Just be careful and you should be fine. As for cleaning the keypad contacts, a light touch with a pencil eraser should do it. I would not try any liquid cleaner, especially not anything corrosive. Really, the only hard part in disassembling the phone is figuring out how the side clips on the casing work. I used to have some pics of one of my phones in pieces, I'll see if I can dig them up.

Good place for Bill Gates SilvrDrgn's Avatar
    When the 7135 gets wet, doesn't it produce some sort of pink "goo" all over the inside of the battery compartment ??? I think that was Kyocera's "wet detector" for when they are sent in for replacements.
    Michael

"cure" for wet phone

Just for future reference - air drying is moderately effective, but here is a technique which will remove all the water possible in a short period of time (and there is no guarantee that damage will not already have taken place, but you at least know you're doing all you can). What's important is that you get it as dry as you can prior to powering it up again:

Insert the phone into a sealed vessel (jar, ziplock bag) with some sort of desiccant such as calcium chloride, magnesium sulfate, silica gel, there are a number of them - find a friend who is a chemist or works in an analytical lab and get a handful of this stuff - they might be available in drug stores or hardware stores or something (try to avoid prolonged contact with skin for obvious reasons). The desiccant need not be in close proximity to the phone, just in the same vessel and the atmosphere sealed. It will draw out all of the liquid water overnight and give you the best chance of having a working phone. Salt will work in a pinch, but is not as effective as those mentioned above. I have used this technique on cameras, watches, and other phones (I once had a Qualcomm that sat in my driveway overnight as it rained for hours - the phone was off, much to my benefit, and after a half a day of drying, it worked fine).

BS

great idea, though too late in my case. easiest way for me would have been some fresh "silica bead" cat litter -- i have it at home.

in the end, my entire keypad now useless.

as an interesting side note, I have figured out workarounds that let me use just about every function of the phone without any hard keys. but i'm going to replace it...

..as an interesting side note, I have figured out workarounds that let me use just about every function of the phone without any hard keys...

Gellmanb...
    Thank god for Takephone Huh!

Originally posted by JigSawMan
    .... I used to have some pics of one of my phones in pieces, I'll see if I can dig them up.
    Yo jigsawman
    Those were great pics of your dissasembled phone. I referenced them often when I was doing "projects". Any chance you could repost them in a FAQ for us to reference again. I think your original posts were lost in the SPS crash of '03.
    mg

Another PDA in pieces

Here's a photo of a older Palm Pilot in pieces, but done a little less elegantly than JigSawMan did it.

I second the request to see the 7135 disassembled -

BS
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Immersed in water and lived-bad-doggie.jpg  

Originally posted by MGuzzy

Gellmanb...
    Thank god for Takephone Huh!

mg [/B]

Exactly. I don't see any other way to key in voicemail prompts, like next message and delete.

Power off and on phone are trickier. I had to turn off "power phone on reset," and reset the phone to power off. To power on I tell Snapper to get my mail and it says it has to turn on phone first.

Of course I have to set the flip to answer the phone. Closing it hangs up.

Haven't found a way to turn backlighting off yet, but not important.

I can't find those darn pictures of my disassembled phone. If there is enough interest, I can take it apart again.

back
    Send it to Viastar Technologies (Google for the address). They will clean it up for you and return it working for about $50.
    Palm M515>Kyocera 6035>Kyo 7135>Treo 650>Treo700W>Treo 700P>Palm Centro Verizon

Originally posted by JigSawMan
    I can't find those darn pictures of my disassembled phone. If there is enough interest, I can take it apart again.
    I wouldn't want to be responsible for a phone mishap, but... would you Pleeeezzzz...
    mg

Lyron, your pic made me laugh out loud! Thanks!

Lyron, is that damage Dog or Child related?

Unhappy 7135 lcd cover removal

anyone know hoe to take apart the lcd cover. I was able to unsnap the end by the ear piece and both sides ut the end at the hinge side will not come apart is there a screw or just another plastic clip?

Sorry I've taken so long to respond, I just ran across this post again;

kwyjibo3 writes:

> Lyron, is that damage Dog or Child related?

The reason I didn't say is because I didn't realize the photo would be embedded; I thought it would show as an attachment.

The file name is "bad-doggie.jpg", it was sent to me a couple of years ago, and if you look closely at the lower right, there's a description/title and photographer.

BS
    2 + 2 = 5 for extremely large values of 2

Originally posted by SilvrDrgn
    When the 7135 gets wet, doesn't it produce some sort of pink "goo" all over the inside of the battery compartment ??? I think that was Kyocera's "wet detector" for when they are sent in for replacements.
    When you remove the battery, you will see a red checkered tape. That tape is made of tissue paper, and once wet, dissolves. If you send your phone in for replacement, they'll know if it was wet.

>When you remove the battery, you will see a red checkered >tape. That tape is made of tissue paper, and once wet, >dissolves. If you send your phone in for replacement, they'll >know if it was wet.

Even though the phone got wet, (My checkerd tape is still there but it looks messy) it is still a damaged phone and my Versizon insurance Should still replace it right? I'm trying to let it dry but I've not had a chance to do much more than keep it in a dry place. Gonna try taking it apart but they might know I did that and viod the replacement.

Susie