+ Reply to Thread

Problem with Xiino - Help please

I have been using Xiino web browser for weeks now. Love it. Only use it and WebPro at this point - but at the moment Xiino is my fav.

Just today I started getting an error every time I try to load a page with Xiino. It connects to the network (Signing on, established messages appear). Then at the bottom it says "Looking up DNS....). Then I get a dialog box that says "Connection timed out. Please try again later blah blah blah".

I have disconnected PPP and reset the PDA. No help. I have even loaded some web pages with WebPro. It works fine. So this tells me it is not a phone or script problem but a issue with Xiino.

Any help would be appreciated. I don't want to have to uninstall and reinstall Xiino because I would loose all my bookmarks. Any suggestions...

Thanks in advance....

It's not just you. I downloaded Xiino yesterday hoping to be able to replace Blazer, which has just decided to start resetting my phone every time I load a page! I'm getting the same error. Perhaps it's their server. This is why I'd rather use a browser that does not depend on the vendor's server.

What's WebPro like - where is it available?
    There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those who understand binary, and those who don't.

I found WebPro posted in the SmartPhoneSource site before it was absorbed here. I'm assuming that it is now posted here some place.

If memory serves me, I think I downloaded a version of webpro that does not completely load on our version of Palm OS. I had to install just two or so components to my phone and it worked. Someone else may be able to give you a more specific set of instructions.

Also, Xiino seems to be working today. It must have been their server.....

Thanks,
    ThreeIees

I found the thread where someone had posted the one file required and I've got it running OK.

It crashes when I try to save prefs though, maybe I'm missing some other file...
    There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those who understand binary, and those who don't.

I found Xiino to work much more consistently when I had images turned off (text only). Xiino doesn't display images that nicely anyway. It doesn't make much sense that this would fix that problem... but you should try it, because most of the problems I ever had using Xiino were eliminated with images off.
    Please visit my picture site: Robert-O-Rama :)

The problem with crashes when saving prefs is with WebPro (confusing, since this is really a Xiino thread!). I also have found that when the Save Prefs crashes, then BeBopper is hosed as well. I have to reset and reconnect to a web page, then get Bebopper going again. It would almost appear that they are having pref conflicts between them, but that does not seem possible.

Originally posted by Robert K.
    I found Xiino to work much more consistently when I had images turned off (text only). Xiino doesn't display images that nicely anyway. It doesn't make much sense that this would fix that problem... but you should try it, because most of the problems I ever had using Xiino were eliminated with images off.

I have used Xiino for well over a year and never had any problems. For the last week I have been unable to load any webpage unless I set the preferences not to load images.

I have never had to do this before? Is this a server issue? Is anyone else having the same problem?

Thanks,

Jeff

web browser! xiino!

hello everyone! the big ignoramus is back! thank god you guys are there cuz i can't even download and install a simple stupid software...! well, i was reading the threads on the web browser since i wanted something better than eis and i got sold on xiino... so i downloaded it on my computer and tried to install it but it says that i don't have the right apps to open it... what do i do? what do i need? sorry and thanks!

Re: web browser! xiino!

Originally posted by Jdogg
    so i downloaded it on my computer and tried to install it but it says that i don't have the right apps to open it...
    What steps did you follow to get to the point that you're at now? What type of file did you download? What are you doing when you get the error? Etc........
    Rick

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- WOW -- What a Ride!"