+ Reply to Thread

Unhappy Repalcement for Directory Assist.?

Now that 555-1212 doesn't service .pqa's, does anyone know of an alternate for phone number/address look-ups?

DA was one of my most used applications and I miss it.

I second that vote. Use DA all the time.

There's a PQA for Switchboard.com, which will get you business information, at least.

Now, if I could just remember where I downloaded it from....

If MIGHT be somewhere in this thread:

7135 Good Websites to access

It works, but doesn't hold a candle to DA.

According to Rick's home page, he's working on a fix, and for me, it can't come too soon....

HTH

Verizon Super Yellow pages also works great but these PQA's do not allow highlighting of the number so you can dial automatically.

I am modifying DA to use a new server (m.yp.com). Hope to have a Beta posted soon. Stay tuned...
    There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Originally posted by rlwhitt
    I am modifying DA to use a new server (m.yp.com). Hope to have a Beta posted soon. Stay tuned...
    Hip, hip hooray!!

Let's hear it for RlWhitt!

I agree, I'm really glad you're working on this. DA in both recent iterations was wonderful to use.

My last use, my wife and I were driving through the Inland Empire toward home in LB (Inland Empire, to those who don't know, is better left unknown. IMHO.) when she remembered an ice cream store in, maybe, Azusa or near Pasadena she wanted to visit but couldn't remember the name.

I keyed in "Ice Cream" and the town and, voila! there it was.

Great app.
    Don Cook
    Formerly Coming to You on my Much Missed 7135 by the Sea Now on a Shiny 700P

Unfortunately, the new server does not handle wild cards like 555-1212 did, so a wild card term like "Ice Cream" will only match a biz actually starting with that. Bummer, but right now it's the best alternative.
    There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Even without that feature, Rlwhitt, your application is by far the best way to locate an address/phone number. Eagerly awaiting the new version.
    Thanks,
    Barbara

3.0 BETA Posted

I have posted a Beta version that accesses the new server (yp.com). Right now the only difference is the server switch and removal of Results count parameter from the query screens.

There will be some other changes coming in the future, as well as debugging. This version may be rough, but so many people have emailed begging to get the update I think folks will want to go ahead and start using it.

Download here: http://home.triad.rr.com/rlwhitt/palm/#da
    Last edited by rlwhitt; 02-29-2004 at 12:55 PM.

Re: 3.0 BETA Posted

I forgot to add:

Business queries that return a large number of results do so over multiple HTML pages and DA is not yet modified to handle this. This will be addresses soon so that all results will be recorded.

I have posted a Beta version that accesses the new server (yp.com). Right now the only difference is the server switch and removal of Results count parameter from the query screens.

There will be some other changes coming in the future, as well as debugging. This version may be rough, but so many people have emailed begging to get the update I think folks will want to go ahead and start using it.

Download here: http://home.triad.rr.com/rlwhitt/palm/#da

R-

THANKS!!!

Your efforts are very much appreciated. If we ever meet, 1st round is on me!!..... make that 1st AND 2nd round on me.... hell, I'll buy all night long.

Thanks Rick! I look forward to giving it a try.... any place in particular that you want us to send bug reports? Or just post them here.
    mg

Here for now. The forums Admin is getting ready to set up a support forum like TakePhone has so we've got a place for this and Minutes PLUS, etc.

Originally posted by MGuzzy
    Thanks Rick! I look forward to giving it a try.... any place in particular that you want us to send bug reports? Or just post them here.
    mg

Here for now. The forums Admin is getting ready to set up a support forum like TakePhone has so we've got a place for this and Minutes PLUS, etc.
    Cool

By far Rick's DA is the best application for its purpose. The ability to add "looks ups" directly to the address book is excellent. Everything about it blows the other applications out of the water.

Since many out there value DA, and need phone numbers etc. on the fly, I just thought I'd share these other venues...

FYI - As a back up, I keep the .pqa for Verizon Super pages, Yahoo People Search, and Yellow Pages on my phone.

WhooHooo!

Yeehaaa! Support, questions, and input for Directory Assistant, Minutes PLUS, Real World Blackjack and whatever other hairbrained ideas I might come up with in the future are now officially hosted at this NEW FORUM:

http://www.smartphoneforums.com/foru...s=&forumid=154

it's working just fine for me, though I'm not sure about wild card searches on first names.
    I.e. putting in simply "j" in first name to find "john smith" doesn't work. Nor does "J*"
    anybody know how wildcards work with this software?
    thanks

Unfortunately, the new server does not handle wild cards like 555-1212 did, so a wild card term like "Ice Cream" will only match a biz actually starting with that. Bummer, but right now it's the best alternative.
    Peter L.

Originally posted by llestat
    Verizon Superpages also works great but these PQA's do not allow highlighting of the number so you can dial automatically.
    Here is the PQA. I use this almost daily!

http://img.superpages.com/palm/SuperPages.pqa