+ Reply to Thread

problem w/ ebay phone, advice appreciated

'evening all,

Just bought a phone off ebay, I know the phone was used in Baltimore, but it had an Alltell banner. Got the esn transferred no problem, switched to america's choice rate plan, cs rep said that National Access was automatically added...yet I have no data access at all...not using EN or QRC, when I try to connect the phone simply hangs at "initializing" and requires a soft reset. I searched the forum but couldn't find similar issues. Anyone have some advice for this?

Thanks,

Matt
    Chicago

have you checked what software you are running?
    phone should be mz 1.0.44
    pda :sz1.0.2.9
    prl :5012

if that is not the case. Try going to your local Verizon store and ask if they can format your phone. Should take about 20-30 minutes.

Never Forget 9/11/01 kerryclair's Avatar
    Partagas,
    Where do you find that info..I'm wandering through all the options on my phone, sicne I saw it mentioned in another thread and can't find the place to view that info....
    ?

go to the icon " Phone Info. " then in the top right corner click on the down arrow and click software.

Never Forget 9/11/01 kerryclair's Avatar
    THANK YOU!!!!
    I was looking through PDS options!!!

Oiy.

Thanks very much.

I checked the software, it's all current...any other suggestions?

Matt
    Chicago

You could call customer service and ask them what features you have. I has happened where 1x has not been added to you " Feats". When you turn the phone on do you see in the top left corner( on the screen when you are in phone mode, not pds) a black box with 1X in it? Other then that I would see if your local VZW store would look at it.

You know, there is no 1X in the corner....theres the big "D", there's the meter, and there's a diamond with a line through it....that's it

back
    big "D"
    You still have some Alltel stuff in there.
    Palm M515>Kyocera 6035>Kyo 7135>Treo 650>Treo700W>Treo 700P>Palm Centro Verizon

Do I need to have the phone reprogrammed or is there something I can do?

Originally posted by strides
    You know, there is no 1X in the corner....theres the big "D", there's the meter, and there's a diamond with a line through it....that's it
    "D" stands for digital, so you are definitely not set up correctly on the EN network. Here is a thread I found in the FAQ section that explains how to set this up.

http://www.smartphoneforums.com/foru...articleid=5294

Things seem a bit odd now. I spoke to tech support who conceded that I did have the current firmware, but that I should get it flashed anyway...which makes no sense to me. On top of that I asked if data was activated on my account and the rep was like "Oh...I see....you need to add the 44.99 data plan" which is the total opposite from what the rep on the phone said yesterday. Are these people on medication or what?

Originally posted by strides
    Are these people on medication or what?
    You would hope that would be the explanation, but I doubt it!

PJH
    Matt, don't know if this will help you or confuse you, but here's my 2 cents on some of your issues:

The D displaying instead of the 1X: If your phone is an old Alltell (pre-Verizon) phone, then you might be stuck with the D. I have such a phone and although I am provisioned for and do get EN connections and have the latest Verizon flashing, the D still shows. The reason is buried somewhere in an earlier thread. Something to do with a setting that controls whether or not the 1X will show when in a 1X service area. Since Alltel did not (does not???) have 1X service, their phones were setup with the setting turned off. The setting, I believe, is configurable during flashing, but don't expect a Verizon tech to know about it since their phones come with the setting turned on.

Not getting QNC connections: Make sure you follow the directions in the FAQ for setting up QNC, particlularly the part about the script settings. The numbers at the end of the first and third lines of the script likely need to be changed from their default settings to 2 and 1, respectively. I had to change mine.

Not getting EN connections: Ditto for the script settings, only the settings are 3 and 0, respectively. Since Alltel didn't have 1X, the defaults may be different. OTOH, I would think the Verizon flash would have fixed that. I don't recall if I had to change them or not.

I sincerely hope it's not a phone issue. Although I got mine off Ebay and have had no problems for the five months I've had it, there's a chance your previous owner was having problems and didn't divulge it. Cross your fingers...

Update!

Went to two different Verizon stores in chicago today, which by the way, is quite a feat using only public transportation and limited time. One store manager couldn't figure out how to flash the phone...he had to call tech support to walk him through a hard reset and then just started muttering to himself when he couldn't get past the screen configuration...I kept offerring to help but he ignored me. Second store had me drop off the phone, when I came back they said they didn't flash it because the firmware was current, when I explained that I still didn't have any data service they had me call wireless data support who said I should have a new phone within 48 hours. While I had the lady on the line I asked her to make sure I had NA MOU on my account, backed up by saying that I also own a 4400 (true) and I wouldn't want to lose Get It Now support....she said it was on the account with no problems. We'll see what happens next. Thanks for the help thus far.

Matt
    Chicago