+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Kyocera 7135 replacement?

I'm not a current 7135 user for several reasons: low res screen, small memory, slow CPU, Palm OS 4, etc.

I really like the 7135 for several reasons: graffiti pad, clam-shell design, holster, and external caller-ID.

I don't like the Treo 600 much - no graffiti pad (Jog is okay but..), exposed screen, thubm pad, low res screen, etc.

I know Treo 610 is coming but it will still have the same form factor.

My perfect device? The 7135 form factor with high-res screen, Palm 5, faster CPU, more memory, and a camera.

I'm currently using a Samsung SPH-i700. It has many of the problems described above. By the way, I've used all of the above for weeks at a time.

THE REAL QUESTION is: does anyone know if Kyocera will be releasing a next gen 7135-like PDA/phone? What is the future on this product line?

Thanks,
    JAMES.

Registered User jamespaulritter's Avatar

I herd info from an verizon sales rep who knows a Ky rep.

He said high res screen, 64 internal meg, same design but not sure on size but it would be strange if it wasn't about the same size as a Samsung I-500, he thinks its silver and he said the eta was 18 months. Im looking forward to it I love my 7135.

Re: Kyocera 7135 replacement?

Originally posted by snoVVman
    My perfect device? The 7135 form factor with high-res screen, Palm 5, faster CPU, more memory, and a camera.
    Thanks,
    JAMES.
    I agree. Smaller form factor would be really nice.

Also I would like Kyocera to fix Voice dial so that you don't loose it when the phone hard crash. Or be able to restore the voice dial list from a SD backup. Or better yet, fix the phone so that it NEVER HARD crash.

Wi-Fi capability would also be nice.

My wish list (just in case the Kyo reps are watching...):

-Keypad with better tactile response.

-Ability to voice dial numbers by saying them (i.e. "dial five five five one two one two").

-Ability to wipe out ROM programs if you don't like them, or if we're talking 64meg memory with an SD card, package the phone with bare bones ROM programs so we can choose what browser, MP3 player, ect. we like to load the thing with...

I feel better now that I've vented a bit!
    Here, have a clue. No, take two, they're small.....

Originally posted by Osteo

-Ability to voice dial numbers by saying them (i.e. "dial five five five one two one two").

I feel better now that I've vented a bit!
    Yes, this would be a very nice feature to have. Would this be something someone can write an app to do in the current 7135? I would pay $$$ for a software that accomplishes this.

Well, if it really takes another 18 months, it may be too little too late.

Here's my shopping list. Take the best features of the 7135, T600, and the Blackberry and bump them up several notches, and you would have a market leading, outstanding phone.

So by the standards of the time when this phone would come out: high res screen and second external screen, lots 'O RAM, fast CPU, long battery life, speakerphone, latest Palm O/S and the ability to upgrade to a newer version.

Add push e-mail, calendar, etc., (Blackberry compat would work), Bluetooth, easy program add and remove, great on board qwerty keyboard, bluetooth interface to foldable external keyboard, improved voice recognition (dial spoken numbers like 5551212), and a real car phone kit (not the cigarette lighter stuff).

Put it in a neat foldable package - maybe a dual fold like that upcoming Motorola. And BTW, if you can get it with a camera, make it optional or removable.

And make it more reliable.
    Last edited by eganders; 07-24-2004 at 09:53 PM.

7135 replacement

I agree that 18 months will be too little too late. As an addicted early adopter, I am already feeling itchy about the Treo 600. The only thing holding me back is the keyboard, since I actually like Grafitti.
    BUT, we need a smaller form factor, more RAM, Palm OS 5.+, wi-fi so I can surf without using up airtime minutes, and better voice dialing (I like the idea of being able to say the digits to be dialed!).
    I hope Kyocera is up to it.

Arrow So long and thanks for the Fish!

I'm not sure whether to be happy about this or not. Lately, I've had 3 7135's replaced by Verizon due to missed calls and the number of resets needed per day.

I was expecting another 7135 today but got a Treo 600 instead. I talked to the rep and they said that I'd "suffered" enough and they were moving me on to the Treo.

I'll still be lurking around here but I think I'm off to Treo-land!

- Scott

Re: Re: Kyocera 7135 replacement?

I really like the size of the 7135. I played with an i500 and thought it was just too small. It felt like I had to hold it between a thumb and two finger tips, and the telescoping stylus felt like a toothpick. The 7135 however feels more solid and I think fits nicely in the palm of your hand. I don't think I wanna go much smaller.

Keep the clamshell, grafitti, MP3, speakerphone, tri-mode, SD slot, ADD: Higher res screen, faster CPU, OS5+, more ram, wi-fi, bluetooth, camera option, yada yada...

YES it would! I would be one of the first in line!

But I would like to see:

OS 6
    320x320
    Louder speaker phone
    More on board RAM
    Faster Processor
    Installed Car kit

What is the love affair with candy bar style phones?

Until then, my trusty 7135 is gettting the job done!

TL
    Last edited by tlaudio; 07-30-2004 at 11:11 AM.

I've been thinking about the other side of this question. What will Kyo need to put into the next device to get me to upgrade. I would also like Bluetooth, hi-rez screen, and os5, but would I pay $500 to get it given what my 7135 does.

I already have 4 devices in one (3 if you don't count txt msg as a pager) and really wouldn't be advantaged by much more. I could do more with an extended life battery for the 7135. (I doubt that an OS 5 dev, arm based, is going to get "better" battery life than the 7135 does. We will be lucky to get the same life) None of the programs I run require OS 5 or would be that much better with a high rez screen. My supervisor has a T3 and yes the screen is gorgeous. I don't see him doing much that I can't do. Now I don't deal with a bunch of PDFs or Spreadsheets (just a couple of each really) so I could see that as an advantage if you did. For me the built in bluetooth would be convenient but I could get a bt-sd card and get the same functionality now, so it couldn't be worth $500 or I would have bought one by now. I also personally don't see the need for a camera in my phone/pda. If I want to take a picture of something then I most likely want that picture to look reasonable when I print it out. Without a 2+ MP camera, you just aren't going to get decent results.

So there is the question. What will need to be in the next version to get you to fork out the cash for it. That will be a much bigger question for Kyo and I'm sure that they put a lot of effort into answering it.
    ---------
    PB G4 1.33 15" - Mac OS X 10.3 - KYO 7135
    macbert@hcity.net

18 months!

I'm looking at FINALLY updating my i330 to a 7135.....but since it's been around awhile I wondered if I should wait for a new release.

Are y'all really saying it'll be 2006 before a new release comes out? I can't wait THAT long!

Thanks for any input.

Originally posted by Osteo

-Ability to wipe out ROM programs if you don't like them, or if we're talking 64meg memory with an SD card, package the phone with bare bones ROM programs so we can choose what browser, MP3 player, ect. we like to load the thing with...

You can already do that with JackSprat & JackFlash Beta 3.
    Ron Honey
    7135 Nut

Aloha everyone, I have not posted much but do like my 7135. I will lend my support to most of the wishlist you have all posted. I just finished reading my New York Times Circuts email (David Pogue's column) and he mentions at the end of his column that the Mortorola V710 (Bluetooth, camera, etc.) is due to be released by Verizon on August 11. A few reports on the net (using Google) said it is in some stores here and there. I would only upgrade if it can match what my 7135 does. I searched this site for information but the search engine did not return any replies. David Pogue's article did talk at length about the Sidekick and the Treo 600. Perhaps we should send Mr. Pogue a few emails and ask him to consider/reconsider the 7135. Thoughts on the Motorola V710 anyone? Any firm news on a new version of the 7135? All the best to everyone.
    David

Postscript: Found a V710 review on CNET at: http://reviews.cnet.com/Motorola_V71...2.html?tag=top

This is a no buy for me now!
    Last edited by David McCulloug; 08-06-2004 at 12:32 AM.

Question kyocera 7135 upgrade/new version???

guys, it seem to me that the 7135 is ready for an upraded version. i've had this phones for years now, since it first came out in verizon back in 2002/2003 i believe it was. anyway, i was just wondering what the latest "intelligence" is at the present?? i talked to a verizon store guy who claimed that he had heard of 'news' of a new release, but it could not be confirmed. i think this phone has a lot of problems/issues that are in dire need of attention and it's time for repairs/upgrades!!! i was hoping to hear something, from someone out there! :o

any responses would be much appreciated

thank you kindly!

I heard it was coming out in 6-12 months, someone else on this board was talking to Kyocera customer service and heard that they were beta testing it in San Diego.

...and then someone else said it was a PC EVD0 card they were talking about. I still have my fingers crossed.

-Quick

my kycocera 7135 'girlfriend'

i have been through like 4 of these phones! i hate it but i love it at the same time. it's like a girlfriend that is so hot and stuff but that has so many psychological issues and is crazy inside. you wanna bang her all the time cause it makes you feel so good, the sex is great, but the other stuff (inside/internally) blows! the hardware is great but the software sucks! this is how i have felt for like two years since i've been through this phone! ahhh! i am waiting for an upgrade, but i have not heard anything dammit! this phone can be so cool, especially with vindigo working on it for instance. you can dial restaurants right from the phone which is awesome especially here in NYC!!!! (vindigo.com)

But, there are so many software shutdown issues and loss of data related issue that arise from time to time. battery sucks and finally a piece just fell off my phone (the upper right piece that has the silver shiny piece attached to it that actually flips the phone (i think it's like the screw/rotator piece). so it's basically as if i'm running on just one kidney now. the left one is still there though! so my phone now has a little hole where i can actually see inside the phone in the upper part of my phone, but to be honest, it has been working better since this occurred! :o it's like seeing my girl with her right bra off all the time!!!

all in all, i really dont want to give it up. i love the ability to be able to write in the phone, whether it be my finger nail or stylus. other phones, like the treo, do not have this capability.

i am praying that kycoera upgrades this phone soon. i pray like everyday. if they did, it would become the greatest phone of all time on the face of the earth!! i am convinced of this!! just get always on pop3 type email that is like a blackberry/treo 600 and i will be in love forever.

i hope to hear from someone soon and i hope to see the kyocera 8135 in the near future!! haaaaa!!

thank you so much.

hirschnet, that is the best analogy ever! My pda is like my girlfriend...hmmm....
    My sordid past:

Kyocera 6035, Kyocera 7135, Samsung i700, iPAQ 6315, iPAQ hx4705, Motorola a630, BB 7100t, iPAQ rx3115, JAM 850, BB 8700g, Samsung i320 (just for fun), imate KJAM, TMO SDA, MDA, TMO Wing

We started hearing news of the 7135 back in summer '02, about 15 months after the release of the 6035. It's been much more than 15 mos after the release of the 7135, but we haven't heard anything concrete. Either they're really good at keeping the next smartphone under wraps, or there really isn't anything coming.

But if it was just a matter of secrecy and there was a new model coming, wouldn't someone have found the FCC approval docs? Does anyone know how to search for these?

Too bad the Samsung i550 isn't coming to Verizon... I would've considered that as my next phone.