+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    07-25-2004
    Posts
    9

    Unhappy New phone makes me go hmmmm.

    G'day folks,

    Picked up my 7135 from the Telus store (Ottawa, Canada) on Saturday. Clueless bunch in there - yikes.

    Weirdnesses:

    1. Twice the screen has blanked out, and required a soft reset. Outside LCD was still on, but nothing I did would wake it up.

    Anyone seen this issue before?

    2. Graffiti area feels rough to the stylus-touch - moreso on the numeric side. Unusual?

    3. Charged in the cradle, pulled it out, tried to turn on the phone, and got a "Battery is Low" message. Back in cradle - charging complete 5 seconds later. Pulled it out - same thing. Performed the same sequence with the travel charger.

    Got it working by powering it up while it was in the cradle. Was then able to power off and on without power hooked up.

    Unusual?

    I upgraded from my IIIxe after removing the 'saved preferences' file. I do have AvantGo installed, and there may well be other residue from the IIIxe.

    Should I hard-reset and install apps individually?

    Or is my phone a dud?

    Telus is on MZ 1.0.38 & SZ 1.0.24, and I was told today there's no immediate plans for offering the latest upgrade all you Verizon folks have access to. They did say there was something they can do for customers having 'fatal exception' errors.

    Great forum! Is there a way to search by text string? Using 'AND' and "quotes" didn't work for me.


    Cheers,

    Sleeman

  2. #2
    Registered User
    Join Date
    07-12-2004
    Posts
    48
    I would try a hard reset. Even though they give you a procedure for upgrading from a different device, I've never felt comfortable doing it that way, due to the huge differences in hardware.

    If a hard reset doesn't do the trick, take it back.

  3. #3
    Registered User
    Join Date
    10-14-2003
    Posts
    186
    Further to thost71 I think some of us here have had good luck by ditching Avantgo. I know it is a toughie but just try running without it to see if your probs clear up. I am with Bell in Edmonton and I signed up for the $5.00 1x plan. I find I don't miss Avantgo any more as I have the web cheap and quick to access at any time anyway.

    ST

  4. #4
    Registered User
    Join Date
    07-25-2004
    Posts
    9

    No WAP w/TELUS

    Ya, I'm considering the 1X plan too, but only because Telus doesn't support WAP. Unbelievable, but true. All I wanted to do was the occasional 411 lookup.

    BTW, the plan, as I understand it, is $5, plus $15/Meg (prorated per kb).

    Originally posted by stmax
    Further to thost71 I think some of us here have had good luck by ditching Avantgo. I know it is a toughie but just try running without it to see if your probs clear up. I am with Bell in Edmonton and I signed up for the $5.00 1x plan. I find I don't miss Avantgo any more as I have the web cheap and quick to access at any time anyway.

    ST

  5. #5
    Registered User
    Join Date
    10-14-2003
    Posts
    186
    Hi,

    With Bell it is $5.00 unlimited 1x as long as you use any links that use the Browser included. The icon looks like a purple triangle. This is good enough for me. It has Yahoo, Weather, news etc. I use Yahoo to help me with email. I could also use the EIS browser that came with the phone. The icon looks like a gold globe. This is actual web pages that are downloaded and it costs me dearly. After just experimenting a little bit it costed me a small fortune.

    ST

  6. #6
    Registered User
    Join Date
    07-25-2004
    Posts
    9
    You're using the WAP browser, which IS installed on my phone, but is NOT supported by Telus. They've told me it was a 'business decision' to not support WAP with the 7135, even though they support it on virtually all their other phones.

    If I didn't have a granfathered plan with free caller-id, I'd be gone so fast.

    I was told by the Telus reps, at a Telus store, that I wouldn't lose any functionality with the 7135. Telus 'customer relations' this morning told me I'm on the hook for the 3 year contract I signed up for, since the 'contract is separate from the phone purchase', even though I got a discount on the phone for buying the contract. I could take them to court (and win for sure), but it's too much hassle.

    Too bad they don't understand the worst kind of marketing is poor customer relations. I certainly won't be recommending Telus anymore.

    Originally posted by stmax
    Hi,

    With Bell it is $5.00 unlimited 1x as long as you use any links that use the Browser included. The icon looks like a purple triangle. This is good enough for me. It has Yahoo, Weather, news etc. I use Yahoo to help me with email. I could also use the EIS browser that came with the phone. The icon looks like a gold globe. This is actual web pages that are downloaded and it costs me dearly. After just experimenting a little bit it costed me a small fortune.

    ST

  7. #7
    Registered User
    Join Date
    10-14-2003
    Posts
    186
    I actually broke my contract with Telus to go with Bell. I calculated that the plan I wanted actually was less per month than what I was paying with Telus. It costed me $120 to cancel, but I would have paid more than that on my plan had I stuck with Telus over Bell. Maybe do a little math and it may be worthwhile to tell them what they can do with their contract? I believe the maximum penalty is $200.00.

    ST

  8. #8
    Registered User
    Join Date
    07-25-2004
    Posts
    9
    The only good thing (actually there are 2 good things now) about Telus, for me, is the fact I have a grandfathered plan from the Clearnet days (Talk 25) that gives me free caller-id and per-second billing for $25/mo (plus network fee). As well, since I've been a long-time customer, they allowed my wife to go on their 'Small Talk' plan, which is not available except through Telus customer service (50 minutes /mo for $15 including lic fee).

    One more good thing - they're building a tower near my house, so I'll finally have good reception in my neighborhood. Thought it was my old Clearnet Sanyo 4500 that had an outdated PRL, but the Kyocera is no better.

    Originally posted by stmax
    I actually broke my contract with Telus to go with Bell. I calculated that the plan I wanted actually was less per month than what I was paying with Telus. It costed me $120 to cancel, but I would have paid more than that on my plan had I stuck with Telus over Bell. Maybe do a little math and it may be worthwhile to tell them what they can do with their contract? I believe the maximum penalty is $200.00.

    ST

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts