+ Reply to Thread

Help with Replacement Phone

Well, I got really sick of the recent hard resets and soft resets I have been getting lately especially after using the phone side. I decided it might be a hardware problem and ordered a replacement phone.

My question is, what is the best way to reconfigure the new phone? I have an SD card with a BackupBuddy backup but I think it would be better to start from scratch. Can I start up the new phone, loading only selected data on there (say, Datebook5, datebook data, takephone and address data) without loading everything from my card onto the new phone?

My hotsync goes through Yahoo Intellisync...do I have to sync with the desktop first in order to tell the phone who it belongs to? Can I do that without loading everything from my old phone onto the new one in case it really was a software problem?

I'm so paranoid about losing data that I don't know where to start!

Good place for Bill Gates SilvrDrgn's Avatar
    The way I resolved the crashing problems on my 7135 was to do a hard reset. Then I loaded all of my PRC's (programs) first, skipping the Saved_Preferences and Unsaved_Preferences. After that I loaded all of the PDB (palm databases). Then I re-registered all of my software manually. Haven't had a problem since so I believe the problems were caused by corruption in the Saved_Preferences or Unsaved_Preferences.
    Michael

I've never done a partial resync. How do you just sync one thing (like PDB's) at a time? How do you avoid syncing the saved preferences? I've been using this phone for about a year and a half but I just got in the habit of doing things one way and can't figure out how to change that!

Use the "Find" or "Search" function of Windows Explorer on your Backup directory. Search for *.PRC files first, double-click on all of them and do a hotsync. Then search for *.PDB files, double-click on them and do a hotsync. Remember not to double-click on Saved_Preferences and Unsaved_Preferences whereever they show up in the above searches.
    Michael

Thank you...that was extremely helpful. I have managed to do a partial backup leaving out any questionable files in addition to the prefs and unsaved prefs. We'll see how it goes.

Again, Michael, I thank you for your help.

- Brett

You're welcome! Let us know how it goes.
    Michael

No crashes in 24 hours of heavy phone use. I resynced the way Michael said but slightly differently. Since I had a hard crash yesterday, I decided to use my last BB backup from the card as it was more recent than my HotSync backup. I copied the card onto the PC and selected some of the files from there to install. I manually re-registered my software (although TakePhone required being deleted from the palm and re-downloaded for some reason) and everything seems to be running nicely right now.

I have tried all the things that usually crash my phone....lots of calls, e-mail with Snapper, web browsing, etc.

I have not yet received my replacement phone but when I do, I'll probably hold onto it for a week or two and return it if I don't need it.

- Brett