+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Unlocking Verizon phones

Anyone know how to unlock Verizon phones? I'd like to buy some new or slightly used 7135's for backups...but the only ones out there seem to be Verizon phones, and I'm pretty sure they are locked.

Are there any carriers out there that don't lock them?

Thanks!

Good place for Bill Gates SilvrDrgn's Avatar
    I'm pretty sure the unlock code is either six zeros (000000) or six ones (111111).
    Michael

Six 1s for Verizon..... buy 'em up with no worries.
    Peter L.

Let me see if I've got this straight...I can buy a Verizon phone, take it to a different carrier, and they can unlock it by knowing that the subsidy lock code is '111111' ? That alomst seems too easy....there are a lot of new/gently used Verizon7135's floating around out there...any other issues to consider? (ie are Verizon phones any different from other 7135's?)

Two issues to consider:

1- Sprint won't activate the phone on their network because they don't carry the 7135;
    2- The 7135 is only CDMA, so that further limits the carriers that will activate it. Verizon and Alltel, maybe a Canadian carrier or two as well.

I bought a "Verizon" 7135 from a guy in California and activated it quite easily on ALLTEL in the Southeast. If you aren't close to a company store (and even if you are but feel better doing it yourself), a customer service rep can walk you through the activation steps over a landline telephone -- just remember afterwards to download the latest PRL via dialing *228 or (if that doesn't work) dialing either *22800 (if your desired carrier is on the A side) or *22801 (for B side).

U.S. Cellular is also CDMA and is active in a number of markets in the Carolinas, but may not welcome a non-native phone. I don't know about any of the smaller American or the Canadian CDMA carriers such as BellMobility or Telus.

Ok let me ask this since the phone is cdma can it be used on the cricket network ?

Originally posted by plyons10
    Six 1s for Verizon..... buy 'em up with no worries.
    Ummm.... that would be six 1s to expose the programming menu option from the main menu. The lock code is six 0s (it's not locked).

-Quick

Unlock Phone

I am thinking of purchasing a Kyocera 7135 on Ebay, but have seen a lot of them as being on the Verizon network. I am a Sprint PCS customer, and would like to use this phone on that network. How do I go through the process of unlocking the phone, so that I can use it on the Sprint network?

Thanks,
    Jay
    (patel@nospam.cs.utk.edu)

Re: Unlock Phone

Originally posted by patelj
    I am thinking of purchasing a Kyocera 7135 on Ebay, but have seen a lot of them as being on the Verizon network. I am a Sprint PCS customer, and would like to use this phone on that network. How do I go through the process of unlocking the phone, so that I can use it on the Sprint network?

Thanks,
    Jay
    (patel@nospam.cs.utk.edu)
    read the post here that was done earlier in this thread...you cannot use 7135 on $print!!!!.
    Funny it worked.....the last time!!Now I am not sure what was working before they put a hole in my head!!!!

Moving from Verizon to Alltel

I am trying to move my 7135 from Verizon to Alltel. I have called Alltel support twice and been to two different stores and they said this can not be done anymore. One rep said that the Verizon phones were crashing the network while they were being updated. Another rep told me that the phone might work on their (Alltel) system but I would have a bunch of dropped calls. Has anybody sucessfully moved from Verizon to Alltel in the last 2 or 3 months? What did you or Alltel do to make this happen? I hate to spend another $400+ on a new phone!

Thanks,
    Ron Gallimore, CISSP

Sounds like BS to me. My last 7135 was an Altell phone converted to Verizon, and Verizon just sent me a brand new 7135 replacement that comes up with an Altell splash screen (well, it DID).

Chip Stewart

NOOOOOOOOOO

Man you really dont want to move over to Alltel, espesually with that phone! They offer no support what so ever with it, and besides, I have been with alltel for almost 2 years (finaly my contract is almost up!!!!!!!) and I still have yet to find a customer support rep that actually gives a crap about the customer! Thats both at the stores and on the 1-800 #. From what I hear about Verizon...you need to stay with them! If not...move over to one of the GSM cariers....

The 7135 Can easily be moved over to ALLTEL. As long as we can get into the programming, there is no problem and I think Verizon's were mostly unlocked anyways.

The only problem you might have would be with getting mobile web and stuff like that to work. But it can be done, I've done it before.

BTW, not all stores are equal. I've been to Verizon stores where the people were a-holes and went to one in Memphis the other day and they were the nicest people in the world.

You are very correct about all stores being different, but I havent been in a Alltel store that does care and I have been in 10 to 15 of them. Do you work for Alltel? If so what is the policy on replacing out of warantee 7135's with the dreaded SRCP screen of death? I am SOL since Lock Line wouldnt insure the phone in the first place... Each time I went into a Alltel store, once they saw the phone, they shuned me out like some disease ridden freak, and wanted nothing to do with me or the phone!

alltel has NO, now let me repeat that NO warranty services on the 7135.. or atleast they didnt. The will not touch it. They sell it to you and then its get out of my store, ive taken youre money now.,.... seriously krappy cust service. Radio Shacks will fix it and as long as the alltel store has a KPST they can swap it over. Good luck on finding one that does. As far as canadian carriers... umm no. Bell will not take any phone that is not on thier list ( that wasnt bought from them) and telus makes you jump through hoops. then they tell you u cant do it cause the phone is outdated and u need an new treo and a 3 yr contract

Re: NOOOOOOOOOO

Originally posted by tdjdcd
    If not...move over to one of the GSM cariers....
    It won't be with your CDMA phone...

-Quick

quote:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Originally posted by Quick
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I know that, but at least he would be able to get a better phone, that has better world wide reception, if he is like me and travels often...it would be a better deal. I'm not sure if there are any good PDA/Phone combos on GSM, but my next phone will be GSM even if its just a phone and I have to go back to carying my old POS HP jornada around too! Also the GSM phones seem to have better reception over CDMA in the states now...or I should say... in the areas I have been in, and like I said, I travel rather often.

Originally posted by tdjdcd
    quote:
    Originally posted by Quick

I know that, but at least he would be able to get a better phone, that has better world wide reception, if he is like me and travels often...it would be a better deal. I'm not sure if there are any good PDA/Phone combos on GSM, but my next phone will be GSM even if its just a phone and I have to go back to carying my old POS HP jornada around too! Also the GSM phones seem to have better reception over CDMA in the states now...or I should say... in the areas I have been in, and like I said, I travel rather often.
    Yes, it depends on where you go/frequent here in the US. As far as "world wide reception" you have to be careful. They (GSM) use different frequencies over there.

-Quick