+ Reply to Thread

Question Repair options... in Canada???

My 7135 has been pretty good all in all - until the warranty ran out a couple of months ago. Now the '0' key has died (seems not uncommon?) and I sent it in - before finding this forum I might add. I had also been having more resets (1-2/wk?) so I mentioned this, plus the battery is not taking a good charge anymore (heavy PDA use).

Bell Mobility called last night saying they want $500CDN (est $375USD) to fix!?! So I started Googling 7135 repairs and came here. Nice forum BTW...

Now, reading here & elsewhere, I am wondering about my options. I notice messages about batteries on eBay so that seems easy enough. Recommendations??? And I may be able to live with the resets (not as bad as other folks have). But the '0' key means I have to use the stylus (or my fingernail!) to dial. Is there another (i.e. cheaper) way to fix the kbd that would be available up here in the [not currently] frozen North?

Alternatively, should I try for a replacement unit? I have whatever unit/firmware was shipped Apr/03 (don't have a record of it) but am comfy with Graffiti1. Is a firmware upgrade recommended?

Many thanks for any advice...
    Charles
    *** Eschew Obfuscation! ***
    Eschew Obfuscation!

I am in Ottawa and had a problem with the screen on my 7135 after dropping it on pavement. Brought it to Bell and found out the cost to send it to Kyocera and diagnose it was $50. ($20 for shipping and $30 to estimate). That was just to get a quote. Instead I bought a new but unworking unit on Ebay and installed my working boards to get essentially a brand new phone.

Right now, on Ebay this new phone is available and cheaper than your repair job.

I have no affiliation with the seller - i just watch Ebay and noticed it was a fellow Canadian selling in C$

Thanks for the reply. I had noticed the e-Bay item as well but note that it is for Telus. When you say you "installed my working boards" does that get around the issue of changing service providers? I have been told (by Bell, FWIW) that the phone is effectively "branded" to a provider and unable to change (???). How hard was it to swap boards?

Thanks again,
    Charles
    Eschew Obfuscation!

In the bottom of your phone (under the keypad) are two circuit boards. One is for the phone and the other is for the pda. They plug together. The info on the phone circuit board is what identifies your phone to Bell or Telus or whoever your service is with.

It is fairly easy to replace - just need a tork screwdriver to remove the 4 screws to take the plastic housing off. Then there are two more tork screws after that. Then you can remove the boards.
    Last edited by gtaudien; 08-01-2004 at 09:10 AM.

Thumbs up

Thanks!
    Eschew Obfuscation!

Just a thought - the problem may be with the phone board In which case you may not have solved anything. Maybe should ask Bell exactly what needs to be done to repair your phone.

As promised, here are a few pics of the disassembly of the unit

The four screws in the back cover are removed and the cover was pried off. There are small latches on each side in the centre of the cover. They aren't too visible in the pic but you will notice them when you are prying off the cover. You can also see the two remaining screws that need to be removed at each side in the centre oh the phone board. They even have little white arrows pointing to them.

The phone board and the aluminum plate has been removed. This plate holds the built in microphone rests between the pda and phone board. It probably also is there to disburse the heat. You can see the little black round thing - thats the mic and above it the is the openning so the two boards can connect together.

The PDA board is still inside the housing. If you notice at the top of the board there are ribbon cables attached. The large one on the left is for the screen, the middle one is for the input (grafitti) pad and the one on the right is for the small lcd on the outside of the phone. You can also see the sd card reader and right beside it is connector that plugs into the phone board

The above pic has the ribbon cables detached from the PDA board and the remaining items removed from the housing. The PDA board is flipped over - the round contacts you see corrspond to the keypad. Of a key isnt working it could be some dirt in there interfering with the contact.

The entire disassembly only took a few minutes - is much easier than disassembling the top part. I would not do this if my phone was under warranty, however.

They packed a lot into a small package here. The phone is my old phone with the boards from the new phone I bought on Ebay for $65 Cdn. The PDA board on the new phone was faulty but everything else was perfect. I really only needed the display but it was a lot easier to just swap boards than it would have been to swap the displays, plus doing it that way I ended up with a new housing to boot.

Great pix - very helpful - thanks.

I'll call FutureTel (Bell's local repair provider) regarding diagnosis, then proceed from there. May see if I can get them to upgrade the firmware to 44/29. As I understand it this will fix the contrast bug which I also have. Will this kill Grafitti 1?

I also want another battery - but not a 'bad' one. How can I ensure the one I'm buying is not a recalled one? Any ideas?

Thanks for the help - much appreciated...

Regards,
    Chazm
    Eschew Obfuscation!

Good place for Bill Gates SilvrDrgn's Avatar
    Originally posted by chazm
    I'll call FutureTel (Bell's local repair provider) regarding diagnosis, then proceed from there. May see if I can get them to upgrade the firmware to 44/29. As I understand it this will fix the contrast bug which I also have. Will this kill Grafitti 1?
    Yes, update to 44/29 firmware will also update you to Graffiti 2. You'll have to purchase a third-party utility like Jot or TealScript to downgrade back to Graffiti 1. I use TealScript (with "Legacy Script" download from their web site) - works great.
    Michael

Thanks for the tip.
    Any comments on buying good batteries?
    Eschew Obfuscation!

Originally posted by chazm
    Thanks for the tip.
    Any comments on buying good batteries?
    This link will give you an idea of which batteries NOT to buy...

http://www.kyocerawireless.com/info/....htm?src=press

A good battery would has this info on it:
    Model # TXBATT10034. (Got it via the recall.)

TL