+ Reply to Thread

Jack Flash/Sprat

I am a very computer illiterate, but I'm trying to use the Kyocera as an MP3. I've read everything I can on this board, and then installed Bepopper. Next, I bought a JackFlash/JackSprat bundle from Handango and downloaded it to my computer so I could get rid of the built-in MP3 player. After hot syncing, the only thing that showed up on the Kyocera is JackFlash and a message saying that "this device does not have Flash memory and is not supported by JackFlash."

I tried Handango and Brayder support, but all they did was send me Jack Flash and Jack Sprat activation codes. I have no idea how to use them. HELP!

First off, what versions of the software came with the bundle? You can tell by the folder names in the zip - you should have one for JackFlash and one for JackSprat. If they are not 3.0b14 and 3.0b4 or higher, you would need to get the latest versions. It's been a while since I bought this product and at that time, even though the latest products were out, the bundle had older versions.

After unzipping the files, you should have several .prc files. You should double-click on JackFlash.prc, JackSprat.prc, and JackSafe.prc. This will add them to your 7135 on the next hotsync. You should also have a .pdf file for JackFlash and JackSprat. Read these carefully!! I can't emphasize that enough! This is software that can really mess your phone up if you don't use it correctly. I personally deleted some needed software and had to go through the process of restoring my ROM.

If, after reading all of the documentation, you're still sure you want to do this rather than just using a card for more storage, use JackSprat first to free up some flash memory and then you can use JackFlash to fill it up.

Let us know how you make out.

Rick
    Rick

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- WOW -- What a Ride!"

pzc

Exclamation

Playing around with JackFlash/Sprat on 7135 is the best way to mess up your unit to a point of total despair . My advise is to leave Kyocera default apps alone as is.

It seems like even though I bought the bundle, only JackFlash was downloaded, and an older version at that: 2.61b1. Instead of going back to Brayder and complaining about buying the bundle and only getting JackFlash, and then trying to get updated versions of JackFlash and JackSprat, I'll take the advice and forget about both. Thanks!

Originally posted by dino
    Instead of going back to Brayder and complaining about buying the bundle and only getting JackFlash, and then trying to get updated versions of JackFlash and JackSprat, I'll take the advice and forget about both. Thanks!
    Hope you can get your money back! Also, even though I cautioned you on using it, there are lots of folks here, me included, that have used it successfully. Something to think about if you can't get a refund.
    Rick

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- WOW -- What a Ride!"

Go back to Bryder website and download the JackSprat beta version. It's the only one that works with the Kyocera 7135. You have to own the released JackSprat to download it. The beta DOES NOT have support, so, use it at your own risk.

If you don't feel safe living "on the edge", better leave it alone. If you feel lucky and want to this anyway, make sure you do a backup of your ROM (just in case something goes wrong). If something goes wrong you are on your own.

I used it with no problems; just follow the instructions to the letter, no shortcuts.

Originally posted by dino
    It seems like even though I bought the bundle, only JackFlash was downloaded, and an older version at that: 2.61b1. Instead of going back to Brayder and complaining about buying the bundle and only getting JackFlash, and then trying to get updated versions of JackFlash and JackSprat, I'll take the advice and forget about both. Thanks!
    Good decision.

JackFlash and especially JackSprat are for the very computer (and additionally Palm) literate. With that qualification, they are *very* good utilities and rock solid.

-Quick

I've used the 3.0 Beta versions of JackSprat & JackFlash since they came out and have had no problems. I got rid of tons of stuff that cam with the 7135 (including the MP3 player) and loaded most of my major apps in Flash. Nothing ventured....nothing gained.
    Ron Honey
    7135 Nut