+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    08-04-2004
    Location
    Anchorage Alaska
    Posts
    14

    Hack for left/right cursor movement buttons?

    I'm new here. Love the site. Haven't gotten much sleep since I got my 7135 earlier this week because I'm always on this forum reading how you guys figured out how to get the most out of this wonderful little device.

    I've done several searches here and come up empty on this one. I'm trying to find a hack that will give the 7135 a left/right button navigation ability. I probably missed it in my searches, if so I'm ready to be blasted.

    If there isn't such a work around for navigating left/right by button press, maybe there is a way to do it:

    HBX is great. What if it was enhanced a bit? If the OK button allowed 3 choices instead of one, and IF we had two special tiny apps (one doing the left movement (left.prc), the other moving right (right.prc), then the OK button could be configured to let us do this:
    click the hacked OK button and then either-
    1. press the Address button to run left.prc and move left
    2. press the OK button a second time for the OK action
    3. press the Message button to run right.prc and move right

    Am I nuts, or is this maybe possible?

    By the way, I can't get the grafitti command to work that palmsource says should be there for cursor movement in grafitti 2:

    http://www.palmos.com/dev/support/docs/ui/UI_Data.html

    This is the stroke left, return right without lifting pen input (to move cursor left, opposite to move right). Did kyocera disable this for some reason? If you do this in text mode you end up writing a "c".
    Last edited by Alaska7135er; 08-09-2004 at 02:18 AM.

  2. #2
    Registered User brockbay's Avatar
    Join Date
    06-09-2004
    Location
    WA
    Posts
    15
    I'm anxious to see the replies to this post - interesting request for the right/left hack.

    On the G2 question, I have also not found a way to do the cursor right and left when writing. The other aggravation that I have is with the data entry in the address book. In G1 you could stroke down/up to get to the next field - I haven't come up with anything besides clicking the stylus on the next field to move the cursor . G2 is a real pain. I just got a link from another thread about TealPoint which makes a good graffiti replacement that I think I will try.

  3. #3
    Registered User tlaudio's Avatar
    Join Date
    09-19-2003
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    280
    I use Tealscript & love it!

    Gives you back ALL G1 stuff & allows you to customize the strokes to your writting style.

    TL

  4. #4
    7135 App Developer davewalthall's Avatar
    Join Date
    10-03-2003
    Posts
    48

    Re: Hack for left/right cursor movement buttons?

    Originally posted by Alaska7135er
    HBX is great. What if it was enhanced a bit? If the OK button allowed 3 choices instead of one, and IF we had two special tiny apps (one doing the left movement (left.prc), the other moving right (right.prc), then the OK button could be configured to let us do this:
    click the hacked OK button and then either-
    <snip>
    Am I nuts, or is this maybe possible?
    You're not nuts. It isn't terribly hard, although my solution is slightly different from that. You have to press OK followed by page up or page down within one second to move left and right respectively. Pressing OK again within 1 second generates a single OK press for the current application to see.



    By the way, I can't get the grafitti command to work that palmsource says should be there for cursor movement in grafitti 2:
    Kyocera didn't disable it, Graffiti 2 did. Burried in that paragraph is the notice that it is not available in Graffiti 2.

    In any event, here is my 'hack' solution. It requires X-Master or any other hack controller. I make no gurantees about it, but it is so simple it should be stable.

    NOTE: URLs deleted. See my post a few down to get the new link for this product. (I'm going to lose my account in a few weeks on the site I had originally posted them at. <= Graduated, I didn't do anything wrong!)

    David

    PS Backup you data before trying out anything risky. This should be bug-free, but it never hurts to be careful.
    Last edited by davewalthall; 08-26-2004 at 05:33 PM.
    char *p="char *p=%c%s%c;main(){printf(p,34,p,34);}";main(){printf(p,34,p,34);}

  5. #5
    pzc
    pzc is offline
    Registered User
    Join Date
    05-07-2003
    Posts
    177

    Re: Re: Hack for left/right cursor movement buttons?

    Originally posted by davewalthall
    You're not nuts. It isn't terribly hard, although my solution is slightly different from that. You have to press OK followed by page up or page down within one second to move left and right respectively. Pressing OK again within 1 second generates a single OK press for the current application to see.
    [...]
    David,

    The Hack does not seem to do anything on my 7135. OK button simply acts as an OK button before I have a chance to hit Up/Down buttons.

  6. #6
    Very Converged
    Join Date
    01-05-2004
    Posts
    28

    Re: Re: Hack for left/right cursor movement buttons?

    Originally posted by davewalthall
    ...You have to press OK followed by page up or page down within one second to move left and right respectively. Pressing OK again within 1 second generates a single OK press for the current application to see....
    I also downloaded your hack and tried it. In most cases the first OK press did go to the application before I had a chance to press the page up or down button. The one exception I found was the address application where OK followed by page up/down did move the cursor as advertised. However, in the memo application, for example, the OK press went to the application and caused it to close the current memo before I even pressed the page up/down (within the 1 second specified).

    I did try disabling ALL my other hacks to make sure it was not a problem of interference from some other hack.

    I sure hope you can fix it - the ability to move the cursor was one of the features I most missed when I went to G2. Thanks for the attempt!

  7. #7
    Registered User
    Join Date
    05-27-2004
    Posts
    44

    Re: Re: Re: Hack for left/right cursor movement buttons?

    Originally posted by FrankH
    I also downloaded your hack and tried it. In most cases the first OK press did go to the application before I had a chance to press the page up or down button. The one exception I found was the address application where OK followed by page up/down did move the cursor as advertised. However, in the memo application, for example, the OK press went to the application and caused it to close the current memo before I even pressed the page up/down (within the 1 second specified).

    I did try disabling ALL my other hacks to make sure it was not a problem of interference from some other hack.

    I sure hope you can fix it - the ability to move the cursor was one of the features I most missed when I went to G2. Thanks for the attempt!
    Ditto here.

  8. #8
    7135 App Developer davewalthall's Avatar
    Join Date
    10-03-2003
    Posts
    48
    First of all, I apologize for my earlier shoddy work. I tested it exclusively in the phone app, where it worked fine. (That isn't an excuse, I should have tested it in more apps to make sure it was working.)

    The new version, which is available at palmgear.com, should work almost everywhere. (The developer would have had to go to extreme lengths to ensure that multitap is always enabled on the 7135 to foil this hack.)

    In any case, here's the link:
    http://www.palmgear.com/index.cfm?fu...e&prodID=69347

    David
    char *p="char *p=%c%s%c;main(){printf(p,34,p,34);}";main(){printf(p,34,p,34);}

  9. #9
    Registered User
    Join Date
    08-04-2004
    Location
    Anchorage Alaska
    Posts
    14
    Thanks David.

    Is it supposed to work in default datebook or memo apps in order to move left or right within text?
    Last edited by Alaska7135er; 08-26-2004 at 06:19 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts