+ Reply to Thread
    Converged

Consumers report rates 7135 as second best.

For what it's worth. The Septermber 2004 Consumers Reports has a brief review of smartphones. It rates the 7135 as second best behind the Samsung SPH-i500 (Sprint).

Basically they rated it behind the Samsung, because of it's size and talk time.

The rest of the phones, in order, are:
    Sony Ericsson P900
    PalmOne Treo 600
    Motorola MPx-200
    Siemens SX1
    Samsung SCH-i600

-Stew

Having a SD card is more important to me. Other than that, I agree with this rating even after having a Treo 600 for 3 weeks.

The 7135 is a great phone. Too bad Kyocera didn't invest more time in working out the bugs and producing a follow-on device with more memory and a faster processor.

Administrator
    agreed. the 6035 was the begnning of the smartphone and i enjoyed it. i would have been the first in line to get the 7135 if it ever made it to sprint. they are two great phones indeed...

sysmg, can you send out a link to the article? I would like to read it but cannot find it.

Re: Consumers report rates 7135 as second best.

Originally posted by sysmg
    For what it's worth. The Septermber 2004 Consumers Reports has a brief review of smartphones. It rates the 7135 as second best behind the Samsung SPH-i500 (Sprint).

Basically they rated it behind the Samsung, because of it's size and talk time.

The rest of the phones, in order, are:
    Sony Ericsson P900
    PalmOne Treo 600
    Motorola MPx-200
    Siemens SX1
    Samsung SCH-i600

-Stew
    I had a chance to skim this review but not thoroughly. It was my understanding that the only thing they were evaluating was signal strength, and the reason the Kyo and the SPH i500 were rated as best was due to their having tri-mode (analog roaming) capability.
    Dave

Converged
    I believe that you have to pay for access to their articles online. They evaluated more than just signal strength. Their chart shows "Ease of Use", "Convenience", "Talk Time" and list features (Folding Case, MP3 Player and Camera). Here's the text:

Some new 'smart' cell phones need remedial help.

Combine a wireless phone with a personal digital assistant, or PDA, and you get a device that promises to do it all: keep your personal information in one place while functioning as a "smart" phone for calls, text messages, and appointment callendar, address book, e-mail, and Web surfing. Some pop in an MP3 music player or digital camera.

But even the best of the seven smart phones we tested weren't at the genius level. A few came close to flunking. None are less expensive than maintaining separate cell phones and PDAs.

Overall, the many functions these phones can handle are their strength and their undoing. The handiest phones make it easiest to use the PDA; the worst are phones with a PDA tacked on.

Our lineup included three phones using the Palm operating system, two using Microsoft software, and two using Symbian. The phones cost from $300 to a staggering $800.

How easy to use? For entering appointments and addresses, Palm units were the best. They use the Palm Graffiti handwriting system or, in the case of the PalmOne Treo, a small keyboard. The other models provide only the standard telephone keypad, which is inadequate for entering data.

How convenient? The Samsung phones, which resemble conventional folding phones, and the oversized Kyocera were best here. Worst was the Siemens. Its phone number keys flank the display screen, an awkward design. All phones except the Samsung i500 have external memory card capability for, say, transferring photos.

The best connections? We like the top rated, tri-mode Samsung and Kyocera models. They stand a better chance of making a connection because they can connect digitally in two frequency bands and in analog mode.

The bottom line? Don't buy a smart phone if you're trying to economize. Of those we tested, we favored the Samsung SPH-i500 with Sprint service and the Kyocera 7135 with Verizon.

-Stew
    Last edited by sysmg; 08-10-2004 at 05:44 AM.

Can this article be found online or is it just in print?

TL

Converged
    Originally posted by tlaudio
    Can this article be found online or is it just in print?

TL
    You have to pay to read the articles online. Since I don't pay I can't tell you. I did however key in the entire article in my previous posting. The only thing missing is the chart.

-Stew

Thanks!

Originally posted by sysmg
    You have to pay to read the articles online. Since I don't pay I can't tell you. I did however key in the entire article in my previous posting. The only thing missing is the chart.

-Stew
    Appreciate your effort!

TL

I too was pleasantly surprised by the rating in Consumer reports. And I'm sure I wasn't the first to wave the article in their wife's face. (Seeee it is a good phone). I scanned in the chart from the article. Thanks to sysmg for retyping the article.
    mg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Consumers report rates 7135 as second best.-7135-cu-chart.jpg  

Just don't tell the I500 guys.
    They are already pretty crass................
    I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy

I should have edited the image to put the 7135 on top!
    mg
    Luck is where opportunity meets preparation.

Too late

Looks like they already found out.

Of course they also took the opportunity to "critique" the 7135.

Consumer Reports Sep04: I500 "Top of the Class"

Good idea MG---Let's REALLY give them something to crank about.

Everybody duck..................

Wink

Schavlan,

Wonderful photoshop touchup on the I500 thread! Keep up the good work spreading joy in the 7135 forum and strife elsewhere...

Osteo
    Here, have a clue. No, take two, they're small.....

AHA! i figured after Schavlan "admitted" in the i500 forum that his pic was doctored that there would be a thread here too!
    Ya know, there's a reason why the 7135 didnt get 1st place, i think it was this pic that was the deal breaker:

(picture is courtesy of this thread, entitled, "Just saw the 7135! Would take it over my I-500 anyday ...."
    Last edited by i330; 08-17-2004 at 01:51 AM.
    My Palm phone evolution:
    i330>i500>i550>755p>Centro.

Sure the I500 is smaller and lighter, but any savings in weight would be offset by the thicker glasses I would need to read the screen!
    BTW, Nice bit of Photo editing Schavlan!
    mg
    Last edited by MGuzzy; 08-17-2004 at 02:05 AM.
    Luck is where opportunity meets preparation.

Thanks MGuzzy

I appreciate the compliment, but you must have missed some of my earlier editing.

By the way, this next picture also shows that the 7135 has INTERSTELLAR approval.

I posted this one for the I500 guys.
    At least this crop seems to have a good sense of humor.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Consumers report rates 7135 as second best.-et.jpg  
    Last edited by Schavlan; 08-17-2004 at 02:30 PM.