+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Angry Delay when open flip

Anyone have a problem where the device won't respond for 30 seconds or so after opening the flip?

This is an annoyance when using the palm, but a real problem when someone calls on the phone.

By the way, it's a replacement phone (the zero wore out on the 1st one) and has the most recent firmware.

Drew

Good place for Bill Gates SilvrDrgn's Avatar
    Mine does that, but it's nowhere near 30 seconds. It's more like 5 seconds on mine, 10 at the most. I have not found a fix for it.
    Michael

Do you have a flip open sound?

TL

Yes, the built-in "Dolphin" sound 'cause it sounds like a Star Trek communicator.
    Michael

Converged
    I don't know if this has anything to do with it, but I noticed that when playing sounds the 7135 is unresponsive. In my case I have the "Old Telephone" ringer (sounds like the old rotary phone's (actual) bell). (BTW I don't have the phone set to answer when opening the flip). So, when the phone starts to ring, if I press the green button, to answer, while the ring is playing, the phone does not alway answer. I have to wait until the pause between rings to press the green button. Then the phone answers reliably.

Perhaps you should turn off the flip sound and see if the problem goes away.

-Stew

Originally posted by SilvrDrgn
    Yes, the built-in "Dolphin" sound 'cause it sounds like a Star Trek communicator.
    I had it set to the same sound. I ended up turning it off due to delay that sometimes happened....

TL

What I noticed, at least on the phone side of the 7135, there is a delay to every interaction with the phone. Some delays are more pronounced than others. The following are delays that I have seen, at least with my phone:

1) A delay to the close flip sound, most often happens when I end a call by closing the flip. Sometimes that close flip sound doesn't even make a sound.

2) Scrolling up and down the Recent Calls list. VERY slow.

3) Pressing send to make a call. There is a delay from the time I press send to the time the call is actually initiated (up to 3 seconds).

MY Opinion: Slow processor aside, I trully believe the 7135's phone-side software seems to operate very slugish. I just think the software was poorly designed and developed and would never be as fast as it could be no matter the processor it is running on. Of course it could be that if this software were to run on fast enough processor that one may not notice the sluggishness. Like others have mentioned in this forum, I too wish Kyocera would allow a third party to develop a new and much needed improved version of the phone software for the 7135.

I don't see much delays running other apps on the PDA side.

Originally posted by sysmg
    Perhaps you should turn off the flip sound and see if the problem goes away.
    -Stew
    I shut off the open flip sound, and ran with it that way for a while. Unfortunately, it does not help with the delay that I sometimes get.

I did notice a pattern though. Sometimes when I open the flip, the clock on my 7135 is one or more minutes off of the current time. It appears that the delay happens while the 7135 is trying to update the clock display. As soon as that happens and it displays the current time, the delay is done and doesn't happen any more during that session that the flip is open. It may or may not happen again the next time the flip is opened depending on if the clock is off again or not. Sometimes it is, sometimes it isn't.
    Michael

It appears that the delay happens while the 7135 is trying to update the clock display. As soon as that happens and it displays the current time, the delay is done and doesn't happen any more during that session that the flip is open.
    I see this all the time on mine. Whenever there is a delay, I would wait a few seconds paying attention to the minutes on the clock. As soon as that minute is updated, everything runs as normal again. This is with my replacement (factory refurbished) phone. WIth my first problematic phone, when it froze like this, it never recovered and I would have to do a soft reset.

Is you phone set to:

Phone Prefs -> Flip Settings

"When Opening flip:"

Is "Show Phone Display" checked?

If it is, try un-checking it.

TL

Originally posted by tlaudio
    Is you phone set to:
    Phone Prefs -> Flip Settings
    "When Opening flip:"
    Is "Show Phone Display" checked?
    If it is, try un-checking it.
    TL
    Nope, mine is not checked.
    Michael

pzc
    This seems to indicate that the problem is with the phone being busy locating the signal.

Originally posted by pzc
    This seems to indicate that the problem is with the phone being busy locating the signal.
    Yes, it does. Too bad that it interferes with the operation of the rest of the unit. This type of thing also happens while playing MP3's. If the 7135 starts searching for cellular signal, MP3 playback will skip and stutter. More than likely related problems.
    Michael

I shut off the open flip sound, and ran with it that way for a while. Unfortunately, it does not help with the delay that I sometimes get.

I did notice a pattern though. Sometimes when I open the flip, the clock on my 7135 is one or more minutes off of the current time. It appears that the delay happens while the 7135 is trying to update the clock display. As soon as that happens and it displays the current time, the delay is done and doesn't happen any more during that session that the flip is open. It may or may not happen again the next time the flip is opened depending on if the clock is off again or not. Sometimes it is, sometimes it isn't.
    Hey wait a-minute. I think your on to something here. Since reading this I went into my PDA prefs and turned on the option to manually set the time. Thus it won't try to poll the cell net for the current time. If indeed it does this everytime one activates the phone side it could be the source of that annoying delay. Anyway since changing that setting it seems to me that the phone is more responsive when first openned. Has anybody else tried this option yet?
    mg

Originally posted by MGuzzy
    Hey wait a-minute. I think your on to something here. Since reading this I went into my PDA prefs and turned on the option to manually set the time. Thus it won't try to poll the cell net for the current time. If indeed it does this everytime one activates the phone side it could be the source of that annoying delay. Anyway since changing that setting it seems to me that the phone is more responsive when first openned. Has anybody else tried this option yet?
    mg
    That's an interesting idea. I have just activated the manual time set checkbox on mine. I'll post here again after if/when I see a difference.
    Michael

That's an interesting idea. I have just activated the manual time set checkbox on mine. I'll post here again after if/when I see a difference.
    Read this thread this morning and immediately changed the setting. The difference is certainly noticeable in my case. And, it cleared up the mystery of why the time would always change to a minute earlier every time I opened the flip in I was in phone mode.
    Rick

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- WOW -- What a Ride!"

It has made a noticeable difference for me as well. I've had this thing for 18 months and I have talked to Kyocera tech support several times about this - wonder why they never suggested this?

Max

It seems to have made a difference in the operation of my 7135. I have not noticed a single delay yet.
    Michael

I've also switch from auto to manual this morning after having read these post. I also see less delays.

This makes me wonder: By this change, would the battery last longer considering that before the change, the phone would sync with the cell tower for current time periodically, thus putting a drain on the battery? Does it do the sync even when the flip is closed?

Kudos to SilvrDrgn and MGuzzy!

I've been totally frustrated by the response delay for a year and a half and was ready to finally dump the 7135 for a T600. Since I made the change, my delays seem to have gone...you guys are tops!

(Hope I'm not being premature...)