+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question IM on 7135

Hi all

First off, great site. Have had my phone for 8 months (minus 4 weeks for 1 warranty replacement), and this forum has been invaluable.

I was wondering if anyone has taken a look at or tried MunduIM for instant messaging? What I am trying to find out specifically is does MunduIM use a proxy server to connect to the various IM servers. I have tried Verichat, and didn't like having to use the proxy, and it doesn't hurt that Mundu is cheaper, and no annual fee to use a proxy if there is one

TIA
    Dennis

Converged
    I use AOL instant messenger. There is a version that comes from AOL.UK that is free. There is no monthly or initial charge. Just download and install. I think it has some limitations (like a limited number of buddies, maybe 64 or more). You can probably search in this forum to find the specifics.

-Stew

Administrator
    try verichat...

verichat

I thought I would try it but after installation I found out I have to buy SMS messaging from Verizon to use it. Not worth it for me.

Administrator
    ok, agile messenger is another alternative. you dont need any sms messaging for it to work. they have a ppc version and i was told they are making a palm version also. the ppc version works pretty well...

if you can eat the cost of one sms message on verichat thats all you need. once you get the code sent to you via sms from the verichat server you dont have to use sms messaging for the program. it will ask you if you want to be notified of sms messages, just tell it no and you wont be notified of sms...

I had thought Mundu IM ran only on Palm OS versions higher than the 7135 carries.

(I would still be interested in a freeware IM client other than the AOL.uk version, which requires an active dialup connection)

Thanks for the info. I have tried Verichat before, and like I said, I don't care too much for having to use the proxy server, or paying $20/year to do so.

Mundu will work on the 7135. Palmgear has the requirements at PalmOS 3.5, where Geodesic's website says 5.2. Maybe Geodesid needs to proof read their site.

I have installed Mundu on my 7135 and so far, it works well. The current limitation of only logging into 2 services is kind of annoying, but not that big a deal for me (only using it on Yahoo right now). If all goes well, I will probably purchase it, if for no other reason than it costs half what Verichat does (almost half anyway), and doesn't have an annual subscription fee.

just installed mundu

trial version worked first time. No problems. I don't understand your reference to only 2 services. I have yahoo, aol, icq and msn. At least that is what shows. I only use Yahoo.

Administrator
    its good to see more developers making IM programs.. for a while we had to depend on the service (yahoo, msn, etc..) to come thru but now we have companies that are makign programs that host multi IM programs...

Aaron T.
    Do I need the VZ internet plan to use this program?

T.

You shouldn't need any special palns. Just download the MunduIM program and install it on you phone. See if it works.

I tried chatopus, which was OK, but it's really just a Jabber client.

You then have to find a Jabber proxy that will login to the other IM services, so it's kind of a pain. (Not to mention that my account somehow was deleted.) It seemed to work OK, but once my account had issues I deleted it.

Mundu seems OK so far.

Aaron T.
    hmmmm. . .

I haven't had so much luck. When it tries to sign on, I get ErrorPP timeout (Ox1231) Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,

T.

Aaron T.
    ErrorPP timeout (0x1231) Sorry, somehow I ended up w/an emoticon in there.

T.

Ok, I'm not quite clear on something. Say I'm walking around with my 7135 on my belt but it doesn't have any active data connection. From what I gather, VeriChat will keep me logged in and send me a txt message if someone IMs me? Will Mundu do this too? And if I am connected and talking, can I switch to other apps to say look up info and then come back to the chat?
    >thg.
    I want an MPx with PalmOS supporting EV-DO on Verizon!! Is anybody listening?? :splat: 8)

"An inconvenience is only an adventure wrongly considered." - G. K. Chesterton

Aaron T.
    Maybe I am missing something. . .

Select any two IM services. . .

enter user name. . .

enter password

Mundu should log me in right? No need to enter network info?

Much appreciated,

T.

Mundu

For those trying to use Mundu. You have to have the ability to access the internet already installed. So you need your internet connections already installed whether it be QNC or your own ISP.

Then you install Mundu. Mundu will dial in to your selected ISP when you tell it to. Although you can log off from IM you will still be connected to your ISP until you disconnect manually.

I hope the above answers the above two questions.

Post error (0x1231)

Server Connection Progress Error: PPP Timeout (0x1231)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This error occurs when the Kyocera 7135 Smartphone tries to access a Web site and the requirements for a network/Internet connection are not met. To resolve this error, ensure that the requirements for a network/Internet connection are met and try the connection again

Aaron T.
    Thanks all. . .

We'll give it a spin.

T.

Cool Instant Messenger client for Smartphone?

I'm sure this has been discussed a lot, but as there's a number of variables I'm looking for I figured I'd post about it since I wasn't finding a post that covered all things involved.

I'm looking for an AIM client for my Smartphone. No complete AOL suite, just AIM.

There are (at least?) two different ways, networking-wise, to use the Smartphone to access the Internet. One is offered by most phone service providers and costs an additional charge. The other is totally free in and of itself but uses your minutes. (I /think/ the latter is VZW Quick 2 Net, can someone verify this for me?) Either way, I use the latter, and would intend to do so for my AIMing purposes.

I'm looking for an AIM application that:
    1) functions reliably
    2) doesn't expect me to have anything additional to run the service (Palm.Net, etc.)
    3) is free

I /might/ be willing to swing paying for it if I receive feedback that there's a pay app that works really, really well.

Thanks much, all!