+ Reply to Thread
    Treo 650 (Kyocera 7135 'till 1/06)

Unhappy backup buddy problem with replacement phone

I have had a 7135 for 15 months, and haven't had a problem, until yesterday. It died. I had verizon 'insurance' for $4.99 a month, and after (no exaggeration) 4 calls and several hours of hassle, got a new phone today.
    I have backup buddy, and I did a restore.
    Big Problem:
    Once restored, the screen alignment is so off, I cannot use the pda. I cant re-run digitizer, because I cannot select the control panel, because no screen postion for the stylus allows me to do this. When I run 'pref pda' date and time comes up, and i cannot find any key stroke combination that allows me to select digitizer. I also tried to manually go through the backup buddy files, and I can't find where digitizer could be affected.
    Help! please!
    If I have to recreate my palm one file at a time, I will loose it.
    Thanks!
    Bill

Hard reset, and align the digitizer. Then restore again, see if that helps?

nope, each time I restore, i get bad screen alignment. funny thing: the left lower quadrant works fine, but the right upper is really screwed up. Thus when I run pref pda i cannot select another control panel. Pref phone allows the the scroll buttons to select control panels, but NOT pref pda. I am still scouring the many files that I restore to find one that I will not restore. can't seem to figure out which one it is. There is a large file of saved preferences. I wonder if thats it. I don't know what else I will mess up if I don't restore this.
    any other thoughts!

This is a major headache!

Does the same thing happen before you perform a BB restore?
    (only stock software installed)

TL

Good place for Bill Gates SilvrDrgn's Avatar
    My guess is that you're going to have to hard reset, and then restore everything except Saved_Preferences and possibly Unsaved_Preferences as well. You'll have to re-enter your software settings and registration numbers, but that's a small price to pay if you get your screen working again.
    Michael

Can you Soft Reset and redo the screen?

TRY THIS
    fIRST DO YOUR RESTORE
    tHEN SYNCH AND INSTALL dIGIFIX (DOWNLOAD FROM PALM GEAR)
    tHEN TRY AND RUN DIGIFIX AND SET IT TO AUTORUN ON RESET.

THIS MIGHT WORK FOR YOU.

After hard reset, you must go through the digitizer process. This, of course, sets up the screen properly. Only after a restore is there a problem. I was really hoping that there was some way to directly run digitizer (I tried to use filemanager to make a copy onto my expansion card, but it is copy protected) but I cannot find such a method. I was also hoping for some key combination to scroll through the various pref pda control panels, but I cannot find any.

If I do not restore 'saved preferences', the screen digitization is not changed, so this does solve the problem. However, my saved preference file is 50 something k and I was somewhat frustrated getting everything to work the way it used to (of course, i started out frustrated!). I am concerned that one day I will need an application and only then discover that I am missing an unlock code.

I did come up with an interesting solution: I found another 7135. I backed that one up, and copied that image to my desktop for later restore. I then restored my files onto that unit. The digitizer settings were close enough to work here. What I did next was run digitizer, and 'fake it out' by tapping inside the digitizer points to map out a much smaller box. I then backed this up and used it on my new 7135. I could now find a screen location to allow me to select digitizer. I then ran digitizer, and now everything is as it was!

Of course, this did take me about 30 minutes, and I probably would have been fine with re-creating my saved preferences, but now I can sleep well knowing that everything is the way I expect it to be.

For others out there: Anyone else have to get a new unit after 1 year or so of flawless operation? Did you have the same rediculous hassle getting Verizon to supply a replacement?

I can only hope that the new one performs nearly as well as my original. The battery supplied is not a kyocera one, BTW. The packaging was not kyocera, and I suspect this is a refurbished unit (the case and screens are un-marred). I do not like the way the keys operate (not that the original key operation was something to brag about). It did come with the original antenna (if it didn't, I would have substituted mine for it).

For future reference, if anyone has a way to directly run digitizer, it would be great to know!)
    Thanks for all of your input!

Bill C.

Originally posted by fswartz
    TRY THIS
    fIRST DO YOUR RESTORE
    tHEN SYNCH AND INSTALL dIGIFIX (DOWNLOAD FROM PALM GEAR)
    tHEN TRY AND RUN DIGIFIX AND SET IT TO AUTORUN ON RESET.

THIS MIGHT WORK FOR YOU.
    Hi fsartz!
    I saw this post only after composing my last. Interesting. Definitely what I was looking for. Not sure I want it now, but if I replace my unit again, this will be what I need.
    Thanks!
    Bill