+ Reply to Thread

Now Unable to Install DBk5 without Crashing

And the crashing doesn't go away after a soft reset. For a while, I could still have it installed for a little bit before a crash, but now, it gives me the RSOD during the Hotsync "Cleaning Up - Please Wait" screen. I have tried crash reseting and still to no avail. I even uninstalled the Palm Desktop to see if there was a problem with the HotSync. I originally was using 5.1a, but that no longer works, nor does 5.1b (sp1).

I am baffled as to why this particular program is causing this problem, particularly when it hasn't even been run. Does anybody have any ideas? DBk5 is one of my most-used apps and it worked fine up until recently.
    ---------------
    The same thing we do every night, Pinky...

Do you use any templates in Datebk5? I had this issue once and for whatever reason I linked it to a recent template appointment I set up. I deleted this template from my master list and everything went back to normal.

ST

Thanks, but I haven't ever done any templates or saved views. Also, the crashes (or, more accurately) RSOD's happen immediately after hotsyncing, before the hotsyncing completed, and before the program is ever booted, and on the first hotsync after a crash reset then hard reset.

I had originally thought maybe the file had gotten corrupted on my hard drive, but a fresh download was just as fatal.

UPDATE (EDIT)

Well, I tried installing DBk4 instead, and it installed fine. No long term usage so I don't know if something gets corrupted over time, though. So I tried one more variation. Instead of just doubleclicking on the files I want to install (DBk5 + icons) within the zip file, I tried extracting everything to a temp file and then putting the files into the install queue from there. Miraculously, that worked and I was able to install this time. Other than the possibility that taking files directly from a zip file somehow corrupted them, does anyone have any possible explanation for this? I am at a loss.

Also, I have been having the unstoppable RSOD when I try to restore backuped up settings files for DBk5 or Launcher X (the two files that have all of my labor-intensive custom color settings). Don't know if that helps the diagnosis or not. All very baffling and frustrating.

Last edited by BrerLapn; 08-16-2004 at 12:22 AM.
    ---------------

Just for the historical record, in case anyone has a similar problem and this shows up in a search, After I posted the message I continued to have problems, and they got weirder, particularly I would be unable to dial out on my phone, either by pressing the green send button or using Takephone. So I went to get the firmware flashed, which for now appears to have made the problem go away.
    ---------------