+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Battery life

Question Battery life

My battery died today. I think this occurs if I forget to close an application (other than a "native" one like "to do"?).

Does anyone know of a setting to change so it won't wear down the battery when the application is inactive? Or do I have to get a better memory!

Oh, and does anyone lose data if the battery dies (not the end of the world given resync, but a pain)? I thought this was flash memory based. So why would it care if juice runs out?

Drew

Drewdog
    There is a recent thread about how the various batteries charge. Apparently the internal backup battery charges only after the removalble battery is all charged on the cradle.
    Too ease your pain I recommend you get a SD card backup app like Backup Buddy. Then you can restore your data without having to wait to get back to your computer to resync.
    mg
    Luck is where opportunity meets preparation.

Battery life

Thanks for your answer. I didn't realize it was not flash memory, so it didn't make sense.

Drew

Anyone else have this issue:

When I turn the phone off for the night, I wake up to a dead battery. If I leave it on, the battery is almost full the next morning. Phone has always been this way for over a year.

Good place for Bill Gates SilvrDrgn's Avatar
    Originally posted by waiting
    When I turn the phone off for the night, I wake up to a dead battery. If I leave it on, the battery is almost full the next morning. Phone has always been this way for over a year.
    That's weird. Never heard of that one before. Do you have any hacks or system enhancements loaded that make changes to the phone side in any way? The program Energy Saver comes to mind. Anything like that??
    Michael

I have Launcher X and Afterburner running most of the time.

They may (?) affect the phone.

Good place for Bill Gates SilvrDrgn's Avatar
    Well, AfterBurner can do some strange things to the 7135 if you have the speed cranked up too high. I'm not sure about LauncherX as I've had no experience with it.
    Michael

I also use Launcher X and Afterburner. While Afterburner can eat up the battery if your always running at 41 MHz, it can also be used to extend your battery. The phone will work at 23 MHz, but if you recive a text message at the same time, the processor will be too slow to process your message alert without dropping the call. I find 26 MHz to be a good option. I placed the dialer icon on the main Launcher X screen. The default speed is 41 MHz, but the dialer is set to 26. When I'm done using the palm, I tap the dialer icon. The processor drops to an idle while the phone is on my hip or in the charger. As soon as I tap the Launcher icon, the processor kicks back up ready for Palm business. I also set the messaging app to "keep it" so if I enter from the phone side, it runs at 26 MHz, or 41 MHz if I launch from Launcher X.

I have had the same problem several times but not regularly (turned off phone at night - phone completely dead in morning).

It happens so infrequently that I never bothered to get service.

I also noted in a different thread that this happens when I turn the phone off on a plane before a flight and then turn it back on upon landing.

Originally posted by waiting

Anyone else have this issue:

Try setting a seldom used app to run at a VERY slow processor speed, like 10MHz. When you do not want the phone to ring, leave the palm in that app. The processor will be too slow for phone service, and it should greatly extend your battery life as well.
    David Irwin
    MCSE, CNA, A+