+ Reply to Thread

turning of the palm application

Hi all...
    I have had the 7135 for couple months now, its great... Yet the battery life is spotty... I know how to turn the phone off (holding down the hangup button) Any way to turn the palm/pda application off too? I keep the cradle at work, so I just want to turn the whole unit off when I go to bed, that way I wont have to start charging it first thing in the morning....
    any help would be appreciated.... Also if you could pls write directly to my email @ vsaks1@hotmail.com, that would be awesome
    Thx
    Vikas
    -- Success is not a result of spontaneous combustion, you must first set yourself on fire. --

I think the most you can do is turning the phone side off other than removing the battery. I don't think the pda side put any significant drain on the battery when not in use.

What I do is rotate between 2 OEM batteries. Have one bat charging over night in the cradle and swap out my batteries in the mornings. Sometimes I have to swap out again in the evenings if I've used the phone side a lot during the day. This has has been a pretty good routine for me.

New7135er is correct on both counts. There is no way to turn the Palm side off but the Palm side is not a significant drain on the battery.

I took my Kyocera 7135 to London earlier this year and, although I had an international power adapter to charge it, I would use it as a Palm all day without nary a change or loss in the power. In fact, I think I once went three days without charging it without an issue. Of course, all this time I had the phone-side powered off because there is no CDMA service in London.

Originally posted by New7135er
    What I do is rotate between 2 OEM batteries. Have one bat charging over night in the cradle and swap out my batteries in the mornings. Sometimes I have to swap out again in the evenings if I've used the phone side a lot during the day. This has has been a pretty good routine for me.
    If you just charge the batteries in the cradle and do not charge the phone itself, the internal battery will drain and you will lose data if you drain the OEM battery or even when you swap batteries.
    Rick

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- WOW -- What a Ride!"

Good place for Bill Gates SilvrDrgn's Avatar
    The best you can do with the Palm side is "put it to sleep". You can manually do that by quickly pressing and releasing the backlight button. Or just wait for it to go to sleep on its own provided you don't have it set to always stay on.
    Michael

Originally posted by rfreschner
    If you just charge the batteries in the cradle and do not charge the phone itself, the internal battery will drain and you will lose data if you drain the OEM battery or even when you swap batteries.
    I've been doing this swapping for 2 months now and so far no problems. I do a sync with my computer maybe once or twice a week and leave the phone in the cradle only for the amount of time it takes to perform a hotsync.

So how long without charging in the cradle will the internal battery last?