+ Reply to Thread
    Knowledge is Sharing

Migrate Tungsten T3 to 7135 nighmare

The dr needs your help.

Have a real Dr. friend/associate who we've convinced to try the 7135, allowing him to combine two items (phone/pda) into one.

He had a tungsten T3, and now the 7135. Nothing but problems, some of which are odd. The final hurdle is that whenever he does a hotsync he has to reset his phone AND more often then not he gets a message on his laptop (xp pro) that the "input port is open and therefore can not sync"

In addition that when he uses the desktop, he gets a message that he is unable to access those files.... address book, date book, etc.

Given: a working Tungsten T3

odd: he installed the palm 7135 desktop, and did a hotsync. (After deleting preferences) and all went well. But when he went to the desktop, unable to open files, no address book, date book, nothing got transfered.

odd: given the above, on a lark, he plugged his 7135 into his tungsten cable, and it synched just perfectly.

He has unloaded the 7135 desktop, as well as the unloaded the tungsten. He has done this multiple times and is having this problem multiple times.

Net:
    1) can not access his information from the desktop. 2) has to reset his phone after doing a hotsync (that doesn't really transfer the data anyway)

Note: I have taken his phone and connected it flawlessly to my XP pro desktop, as well as a Win98se laptop.

The only observation I can think of is:
    a) his tungsten was a newer OS then the 7135. He uses his original Tungsten disks to remove the palm, but of course it didn't really delete everything. I'm sure he has two distinct copies of Palm on his machine.
    - unable to open files
    - open port.....

Sorry for the length, but when the dr needs your help... the Dr really needs your help.

History that got us here:

In
    When the geeks need help, they go to the dr. When the dr needs help, he goes to pdaphonehome :-)
    out of the wireless business; but I do consulting and security as a CISSP; www.wiremore.biz shares my values and has a good business link as well.

Good place for Bill Gates SilvrDrgn's Avatar
    Wow. First it sounds like you have one or more read-only files that require a reset after hotsync "stuck" in the Install directory. Check for that. Also check what firmware the 7135 has. It's in the Phone Info application, "Software" section using the drop down upper-right corner gadget.
    Michael

Delete the "Saved"Preferences.prc" file before syncing over to the 7135. There are probably more than a few settings in that file that conflict with the 7135's capabilities...

Knowledge is Sharing
    Your advice was "spot" on, and all is now well. The Dr, brought his laptop in to the dr (confusing eh), and said let's make this right:
    Given: he had successfully loaded his info onto his 7135, his problem was using the desktop
    On the laptop:
    a) removed the palm application
    b) went in, and deleted the program files/palm directory
    c) rebooted (cute, but maybe not necessary)
    d) installed the palm desktop from the cd
    e) synched like a charm.

The Dr is very technically literate. I have to wonder what the problem was, since he put near 16 hrs trying to do what we did in 30 minutes. His port-open did not appear in my store; but I'll give you a later update to see how it is working when he brought it home. As at home, he has 4 devices in the same usb plug, and that may (although unlikely) been a problem.

Thanks again for helping me, the dr (small d) to help another. I think it was in the preferences or network. But it now appears solved.
    When the geeks need help, they go to the dr. When the dr needs help, he goes to pdaphonehome :-)
    out of the wireless business; but I do consulting and security as a CISSP; www.wiremore.biz shares my values and has a good business link as well.