+ Reply to Thread

voice answer / hands-free lady MIA

I bought a kyocera car kit, and everything seems to work great - voice dialing, waking up, sound quality... blah blah blah

BUT... when I get an incoming call, I cannot (for the life of me) figure out how to get the voice-answer to work. The phone should ask if I want to answer the incoming call. Instead, it just rings and rings.

Anybody else have this problem? I searched in the forums and found that one guy who was having this problem found that it went away if he did a soft-reset every day. (I haven't tried this yet as I can't get to my car at the moment). Anyone else using this as a solution?

Thanks for any comments.

Are these options set?

1. Phone Pref -> Voice dialing -> voice answer is checked?

2. Have you trained your training words? Yes & NO?

TL

Yes. Voice answer is checked. Also, my words are trained. "Play alert through speaker" is also checked (I believe I have tried both settings of this, but I could try again if someone thinks it would make a difference).

She only works when your phone is not plugged in. When you're plugged in, the normal ringer (similar to when it's at home on the charger) kicks in...

On my phone:
    When plugged into the HF car kit, the phone lady still says "Incomming call, answer?". I either say yes or no.

Have you tried it with the HF ear buds?
    (Should work the same as the HF car kit as far as the lady speaking)

What software version do you have?

I have 29/44 loaded.

TL

I get the ring when it's pluged in, and the lady's voice when it's not plugged in. I'm running 29/44 also, and I use a third-party headset when I'm in the car.

Is your car kit providing power, or just hands-free connectivity?

I'm using 1.0.29 and 1.0.44 as well. The car kit I am using is the car kit from Kyocera... this one:

http://store.kyocera-wireless.com/pr...2DTK42MTGD1P52

It does provide power. Is anyone else using this kit? Is the phone assuming that it is docked since it is receiving power? That is hard to believe since it must know that it is a car kit (it enables the speakerphone and microphone in the car kit, so it shouldn't think it is in it's cradle)

I think the issue is if it's getting power, not if it's hands-free or not. When I plug my travel-charger in (with or without the USB cable), incoming calls are handled just as if the phone was in my cradle. Likewise, when I've got the USB cable plugged in, but not the travel charger, the nice lady asks if I want to answer...

I understand, but it seems like the phone is aware of whether or not it is plugged into a car kit. Seems like they would use that information to decide whether or not use voice answer, and not simply the power status... but then again, i've seen some programmers do some pretty dumb things... so you may be exactly right.

Anyone else? Anyone else have the kyocera car kit?

I have it

I have the same car kit and without a doubt the lasy comes on and asks "Would you like to answer this call?" when an incoming call comes in.

Yes the car kit provides power but the lady should always be there when plugged into the car kit. Once and a while she will stop asking and a soft reset should solve the problem.

I have said this on this board before but I highly suggest a daily reboot of your 7135. I use crony to schedule paperclip to do a 6am reset everyday.

This solved the lazy lady problem and I never get fatal exceptions anymore. Trust me ... daily reboot once setup will make your phone much more predictable.

Mark

Looks like the key here is power being applied to the car kit (blue light on). Some cars kill power to the cig lighter after the key is pulled.

Lordmundi:
    Does you HF car kit have the blue light on (kit getting power) when this is happening? or is it off?

TL

My blue light does come on. But I don't think the problem is the power - I think Mark hit the nail on the head. Of course, I haven't tested it yet, so I may have to eat my words.

Originally posted by tlaudio
    Looks like the key here is power being applied to the car kit (blue light on). Some cars kill power to the cig lighter after the key is pulled.

Lordmundi:
    Does you HF car kit have the blue light on (kit getting power) when this is happening? or is it off?

TL
    Actually I think the key is that the phone detects that there is an alternate mic input. I get the lady when I'm plugged into my carkit or when I'm plugged into my kyo headset with mic. Now the headset doesn't provide power obviously.
    I think there may be something wrong with your carkit in that the phone is not detecting the mic input off it.
    mg

Further to this

I just tested some things, it is the presence of an external mic that signifies when the "lady" is supposed to ne there.

Trust me ... soft reset and she will come back for a while. Soft reset every day and you will never lose her.

Mark

I apologize for not trying it yet, as I haven't had my car/car kit/phone/time to do it all at once. Once I do I will post what I find. I really appreciate all the help guys.

FG

Re: I have it

Originally posted by markesdale

I have said this on this board before but I highly suggest a daily reboot of your 7135. I use crony to schedule paperclip to do a 6am reset everyday.
    When you have Crony run Paperclip, how do you auto answer the question "Load Previousely Installed programs (Hacks)?" Not sure what is actually says, but it asked if I wan't to load my hacks.

Just heard back from the Kyocera tech support people, here is what they said:

>Thank you for contacting Kyocera Wireless Corporation, we apologize for the
    >inconvenience that you are experiencing with your Kyocera 7135 Wireless
    >phone.
    >
    >If you are unable to initiate a voice call on your 7135 we recommend the
    >following steps to verify your issue:
    >
    >1. Perform synchronization to back up your data.
    >
    >2. Perform a ?hard reset? to your device to purge all Palm data.
    >
    >3. Train your voice control words.
    >
    >4. Attempt a voice call.
    >
    >If your phone still continues to ring constantly, it will need to be sent
    >in for repair. If this is the case, please contact our Repair Department
    >at 1-888-236-2746, option #2 for assistance. Our Repair Department hours
    >of operation are Monday through Friday, 6:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. Standard
    >Pacific Time.
    >

ok. I tried the soft reset and it didn't work.

I wonder if the timing of the soft reset matters? I performed the reset, plugged in the car kit, opened and closed the phone (have to do that for some reason, not sure why), and then tried taking an incoming call... no dice.

I'm thinking I will need to do the hard reset as kyocera tech support indicated.

Visor>7135>Treo 650 Craig Wadsworth's Avatar
    My experience was that after using the Kyo stereo headset without problems for a year the lady went away suddenly. I took it in and had them update firmware, but that didn’t help. Verizon replace the phone and it worked fine. I restored my data from the chip (BackupBuddy) and the lady went away. Did a hard reset and she is back. Now I am afraid of doing another restore.
    Last edited by Craig Wadsworth; 10-27-2004 at 10:09 AM.