+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

New 512mb SD Card

Is all I need to do to copy the files from my existing 256mb card to my hard disk using the reader, and then copy the files back to the new 512mb card?
    John H. Boyd

yup
    Luck is where opportunity meets preparation.

Originally posted by MGuzzy
    yup
    Thanks. That worked.
    John H. Boyd

Fully Converged
    I recommend formating it in the 7135 first, incase you haven't done that yet.
    7135 to 650

Thanks, but formatting in the 7135 turned out not to be necessary. Copied the files directly, plugged in and away we went.

Thanks.
    John H. Boyd

Fully Converged
    I recommended the formatting not be cause it does not work immediately, but it has resolved problems for me that have cropped up over time due to factory formatting as opposed to letting the 7135 format the card off the bat then using it. If it starts acting strange after a while. Come back and read this forum.
    7135 to 650

Originally posted by etxpimp
    I recommended the formatting not be cause it does not work immediately, but it has resolved problems for me that have cropped up over time due to factory formatting as opposed to letting the 7135 format the card off the bat then using it. If it starts acting strange after a while. Come back and read this forum.
    By strange, do you mean if Windows Explorer tells me that the card doesn't have any audio files and that other file names are farkled? It did that last night, but seems to be working OK in my phone.

How do I back up all the files on the card, and then how do I format it in the phone and try again?
    John H. Boyd

Unhappy

Can someone offer comments on how the speed at which the 7135 reads the SD card can be increased or the performance improved?

I have a 256 Meg card that takes a while to be read (icons to appear on screen) It sometimes takes as long as 30 to 45 seconds to switch from one application to the other.
    Playmaker -- nuff said...

I think I am going to have to erase everything, try formatting in the PC Card reader, and start over. Windows Explorer gives me garbage file names, and Palm File Manager tells me that is an error in reading the Audio Directory.
    John H. Boyd

Playmaker - You have two options: (YMMV)

1. download & install the MMC Hack.

and/or

2. Get a Hi speed SD card.

Dont expect huge speed increases......Limitations of the hardware......

TL

Are you aware of any side affects associated with the MMC Hack?
    Playmaker -- nuff said...

I do not know of any side effects. Some 7135's it works great, others it does not help at all....

Here is the file.

TL
    Attached Files

Fully Converged
    Yep, JohnBoyd, yep. All sorts of sinister little things that don't make sense such as what you pointed out. To get the files off the card, just put it in your card reader, put card reader in pc and drag and drop. Always unmount card reader before removing it from the PC USB port, as just pulling the card tends to corrupt its formatting quicker. Stick the card back in the 7135. Go to the built in "Card Info" app then tap the menu button and select 'format'. Good luck.
    7135 to 650

Fully Converged
    Playmaker,
    I'm not sure that the mmclib_hack is what you are looking for if you were referring to the poor card speed. You referenced icons, not songs, right? As far as I can tell only 2 things to help you. 1. Faster card. and 2. Afterburner 3.20. We could also throw in quickbits, but whatever. Mind you, this is coming from a guy who is waiting for his 7th Kyo to come as of this weekend!!! I push 'em. The last 2 have had strange phone side failures though, not holding thier initial programming. ??? Bit of advise, get the insurance, but not before your first year is up. Sorry for rambling...
    1. Faster card Ultra or such
    2. Afterburner
    3. Quickbits for a little extra spice.

And yes, there can be side affects with Afterburner. Read the instructions and you will be OK. Smokin'...........
    7135 to 650

Good place for Bill Gates SilvrDrgn's Avatar
    Originally posted by Playmaker
    Can someone offer comments on how the speed at which the 7135 reads the SD card can be increased or the performance improved?

I have a 256 Meg card that takes a while to be read (icons to appear on screen) It sometimes takes as long as 30 to 45 seconds to switch from one application to the other.
    Do you have a lot of files in the /Palm/Launcher directory on the card? If so, that's what is causing the delay. The 7135 scans that entire directory every time when switching apps. Tip is to remove all unnecessary files from that directory, and get a better launcher program that doesn't use it. I use ZLauncher because it can automatically copy programs and their data files from the SD card into main memory and run them. When exiting, it copies only the modified files back to the card and deletes the files that are unchanged from main memory (they're still on the card).
    Michael

where can you get afterburner? and what are the side effects?

Good place for Bill Gates SilvrDrgn's Avatar
    Originally posted by emorgana
    where can you get afterburner? and what are the side effects?
    You can get AfterBurner from PalmGear.com. Side effects are that everything runs faster, and system beeps are at a higher pitched tone. If you crank it up too far or slow it down too much, you will cease to get phone calls. You have to make sure you get the settings correct. Make sure you get at least version 3.20 and run the profiler to determine min and max speeds. Do a search for AfterBurner on this site for more information.
    Michael

BDP
    Does increasing the size of the card have make any problems with the phone?
    What I mean is an upgraded card of the same manufacturer and specs just more MB?

I have a 128 lexar I use and a 32mb just for backups and such but I want to upgrade to a 512 or at least a 256. I've never heard of afterburner so I will check that out, I've never messed with any overclocking in fear of smoke and sparks Would Afterburner help the processor out with Kinoma Video/Audio processing by any chance?

I don't have any card readers and have never had any problems with lost data between 3 different O/S but I use my Casio digital camera via USB (acts as a removable Drive) to exchange data in the card slot.

Anyway, if I get a 256 or 512 Ultra SD card and load it up with MP3's or Movies (not apps) I will be fine correct? Is there any cards to watch out for that are just crap? Will our phones accept 1Gb cards, anyone know the max?

pzc
    Originally posted by BDP
    Does increasing the size of the card have make any problems with the phone?...
    I went from Lexar 256 to Lexar 512 to SanDisk 1G. Each time the speed of read/write of same amount of MP3's got noticeably faster – no problem whatsoever with the phone. I always use USB 2.0 reader to transfer data (SanDisk ~30$). IMHO if you use the card for MP3s then get 1G – size does matter in this case! For example, the 512K is still a bit too small to fit my entire Beatles collection.

BDP
    Thanks for the reply!
    I will look into a 1 Gig then. I primarily use the card for a couple apps and kinoma vids & MP3's for when I am bored or on long trips. Every so often when I am taking photos at an event for my website, I run out of room on my camera so I use my phone card. This is all the excitement I need for the card so I was only hoping for a 512 but might as well find a cheap 1 gig or just wait a few more months and get an even cheaper one