+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Snappermail TWO

Snappermail TWO

Anyone have any experience with this yet?

I am wondering if (as happens often with other software) the latest and greatest version of this program is substantially bigger and so oriented towards the Treos and their faster processors that it would be better to stick with the existing version for our 7135's.

Anyone have any advice on that?

thanks

I just installed it this morning (enterprise edition) and have no operating complaints so far. I've been using it all day as I was converting all my POP accounts over to IMAP and resynching, testing features, etc.

It was in Beta for several months before being released.

Its a decent app so far, but I wish they added the ability to copy accounts or set some global default values rather than per account only.

Good place for Bill Gates SilvrDrgn's Avatar
    Yep, SnapperMail 2 Enterprise edition with one POP3 and one IMAP account configured works great for me. As far as copying accounts, send that suggestion to their "support@snappermail.com" email address.
    Michael

I use SnapperMail 1.9.5 and it is one of the primary causes of crashes on my Kyo...it never crashed on my M515. Is there any reason to hope that SM 2 won't crash my Kyo? I would consider the upgrade for that reason alone.

Thanks!

Abe

Originally posted by Abe Frohman
    I use SnapperMail 1.9.5 and it is one of the primary causes of crashes on my Kyo...it never crashed on my M515. Is there any reason to hope that SM 2 won't crash my Kyo? I would consider the upgrade for that reason alone.
    Thanks!
    Abe
    Are you sure it's SnapperMail that's causing the crashes? Have you got Crash Pro loaded? Is that telling you SnapperMail is the cause? The reason I ask is because SnapperMail has been very stable on my 7135. If I do get a crash while running it, it's usually during or after a send/receive and Crash Pro reports that it was NetLibrary that caused the crash, not SnapperMail.
    Michael

Originally posted by SilvrDrgn
    Are you sure it's SnapperMail that's causing the crashes? Have you got Crash Pro loaded? Is that telling you SnapperMail is the cause?
    Yes, I have crash pro and it is telling me that SnapperMail caused the crashes. I have had only one (recently) that said NetLibrary was the cause. Is NetLibrary a SM file?

No, NetLibrary is not a SM file. It's built into the 7135 ROM, and used for the data communications. I would give the 2.0 trial version a try. I've been using version 2.0 for a while now, and it's never crashed on my 7135. Or you could hard reset your 7135, and then restore everything except the Saved_Preferences and Unsaved_Preferences. Keep your 1.9.5 version in this case. You'll have to re-enter some registrations for your various programs and other settings, but if it stabalizes your 7135, then you'll know that the cause of the crashes was actually Saved/Unsaved preference corruption.
    Last edited by SilvrDrgn; 09-01-2004 at 07:08 AM.
    Michael

Originally posted by SilvrDrgn
    then you'll know that the cause of the crashes was actually Saved/Unsaved preference corruption.
    Would it be as effective...and far less painfull than a hard reset to just delete the saves/unsaved_prefs files? Would that give me the same result?

And, btw, my IT department isn't playing ball and won't give me the info I need to set up SM2. Nice.

Originally posted by Abe Frohman
    Would it be as effective...and far less painfull than a hard reset to just delete the saves/unsaved_prefs files? Would that give me the same result?
    And, btw, my IT department isn't playing ball and won't give me the info I need to set up SM2. Nice.
    You might not be able to delete them from the device outright if they are in use, which they almost always are. If they are, the PalmOS will complain that you cannot delete them. That's why I suggested the hard reset.
    Michael

FWIW, Snappermail 1.9.x used to crash quite frequently while downloading e-mails. I could never figure out a pattern to why it would crash, whether it had something to do with the particular e-mail, or something was never clear.

But I have been running the beta for 2.0 for some time now, and until I read this thread, I did not recognize that I no longer have those problems!

FYI, I am also running Snapper in Flash...

When I tried the Snappermail Beta one of the issues I had with it was that I didn't like the color scheme. I've read that the new release may have an "Appearance" Option that let's you go back to the original scheme.

Is that true?

thanks

Originally posted by william1853
    When I tried the Snappermail Beta one of the issues I had with it was that I didn't like the color scheme. I've read that the new release may have an "Appearance" Option that let's you go back to the original scheme.

Is that true?

thanks
    Yes....Options->Preferences->Message ->Appearnace

Drop down choices are Classic or Standard. Classic is original scheme.

hhb