+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

How do you import ringers on to 7135

How do you import ringers on to 7135

Good place for Bill Gates SilvrDrgn's Avatar
    You find or create an MP3 file that has a bitrate of 128 Kbps or less. Then use the Kyocera Ringer Maker program (install it from the CD that came with the 7135) to convert the MP3 file to a PDB file. After that, simply hotsync it into the 7135 and do a soft reset after it's done. The soft reset is necessary in order to get the ringer to show up in the list.
    Michael

Unhappy

I tried to add some ringtones for the first time. It did not work. This came from my Hotsync log.

HotSync operation started 10/03/04 00:16:47
    - Invalid handheld file deleted: C:\Palm\EM\Install\Destiny's Child - Bug A Boo (Wyclef Remix).mp3.pdb
    - Invalid handheld file deleted: C:\Palm\EM\Install\CSI.mp3.pdb
    - Invalid handheld file deleted: C:\Palm\EM\Install\Alias-2.mp3.pdb
    - Invalid handheld file deleted: C:\Palm\EM\Install\Old Telephone.mp3.pdb
    OK Install with 4 message(s)

Any Ideas???

Originally posted by SilvrDrgn
    You find or create an MP3 file that has a bitrate of 128 Kbps or less. Then use the Kyocera Ringer Maker program (install it from the CD that came with the 7135) to convert the MP3 file to a PDB file. After that, simply hotsync it into the 7135 and do a soft reset after it's done. The soft reset is necessary in order to get the ringer to show up in the list.
    I've never had to soft reset to show an itme in the list. I just open the list, select a different file then open the list again and it'll show the new file. YMMV

Specifically, I am confused about the issue of.... - Invalid handheld file deleted: C:\Palm\EM\Install\CSI.pdb.?

any replies

Originally posted by whitemar
    Specifically, I am confused about the issue of.... - Invalid handheld file deleted: C:\Palm\EM\Install\CSI.pdb.?

any replies
    You didn't simply rename the files did you? You must run them through the Kyocera Ringer Maker program with the type inside of it set to "Ringer". Also, keep the filenames short - 8 or less characters is recommended.
    Michael

Same issue????

HotSync operation started 10/04/2004 8:19:10 PM
    - Invalid handheld file deleted: C:\Palm\EM\Install\Ring01.mp3.pdb
    OK Install with 1 message(s)

I even changed the name...
    HotSync operation started 10/04/2004 8:36:11 PM
    - Invalid handheld file deleted: C:\Palm\EM\Install\Ring01.pdb

What am I missing?

FYI .... I am following this process??? Still no luck.

1. Take the WAV file and open it in your favorite WAV editor. Find the section you want to use as the ringer sound and remove the audio before and after that section in time. Depending on the editing software you use, you can change the properties of the WAV file and play with the sounds.

2. Save the edited WAV file (some editors will allow you to save it as a MP3, and that saves the need to convert it.

3. Convert the new edited WAV, back to MP3 using your converter. If it asks you for the bit rate, etc, stick with anything between 64-128kbps. Any more is useless for a ringer as the "quality" is not that important, any less will have poor sound. I personally use 64kbps for the ringers to keep them small, and they sound great while making a 20 second ringer only 80kb.

4. Rename the new MP3 file to something seven characters or less. I would recommend ring001.mp3, ring002.mp3, etc.

5. Open the Kyocera MP3 - Ringer Maker application. Browse to your new MP3 using the "Open File" button.

6. Choose ringer as the type of sound you want to create.

7. Leave the "Maximum kB" box blank.

8. Press the create button.

I also printed the "MP3Maker" information from the Kyocera disk. In step 4 it describes a long "beep" for confirmation. My progrom does not make any noise?

First, how big are the PDB files that the Kyocera Ringer Maker is producing? They should be just a little bigger than the original MP3 files.

A successful conversion by the Kyocera Ringer Maker program should produce a high beep followed by a low beep. The first thing I notice in your instructions is that your say you're leaving the maximum size box blank?? It should be defaulted to 50 KB. As far as I know, the box must not be blank. If you don't want the program to limit the size of your ringer, then either set it to zero (0) or some other huge number that you know your ringer size won't exceed.
    Michael

Question

Michael,

In this case the starting MP3 is 125kB. I also tried to create the ringer at a max kB of 50 and 250....Still no beep and no luck.

HotSync operation started 10/05/2004 9:30:16 AM
    OK Mail

Is that double file extention an issue (*.mp3.pdb)? I downloaded a ringer from this site and in loaded fine.?.?

Any advice is truly appreciated!

Last edited by whitemar; 10-05-2004 at 08:49 AM.

Originally posted by whitemar
    Michael,
    In this case the starting MP3 is 125kB. I also tried to create the ringer at a max kB of 50 and 250....Still no beep and no luck.
    What is the exact size, in bytes, of both the MP3 file and the PDB file that the Ringer Maker created?

HotSync operation started 10/05/2004 9:30:16 AM
    OK Mail

Is that double file extention an issue (*.mp3.pdb)? I downloaded a ringer from this site and in loaded fine.?.?

Any advice is truly appreciated!
    The double extension should not be a problem. Without the extension on the original file, the Ringer Maker wouldn't find them unless you switched it to "All Files" display mode in the Browser requester.

Another question for you: Are you renaming the PDB file after the Ringer Maker program creates it? If so, don't ever do that. It can cause this problem.
    Michael

The MP3 = 125kB and the PDB = 125kB.

I am not renaming the file.

I'm at a loss now. Not sure what to tell you. What WAV to MP3 converter software did you use?

Use the "Search" function on this site. Search for "invalid handheld file". Maybe that will help.
    Michael

Please describe the reason for converting. The file is already a short MP3.

The Kyocera 7135 has a hardware MP3 decoder chip in it. As such, that's what it uses for ringers (i.e. MP3 playback). As such, your files must be in MP3 format for the Ringer Maker program to work on them. PalmOS devices are only capable of storing PRC, PDB and PQA files in their main memory. Because of that, the Ringer Maker Program adds a header block to the MP3 file and gives it a PDB extension so it can be loaded into the device.
    Michael

Have you been able to successfully sync the ringers already made by others from the 7135 download area?
    mg
    Luck is where opportunity meets preparation.

Yes, I have been able to successfully sync the ringers already made. I am just having trouble creating my own from a MP3 using the Ringer maker.

Thanks for asking.

Mark

Many of the posted files include the source MP3. have you tried creating an ringer from those source files? That would help determine whether the problem lies in your ringer creation or in the MP3 you're using... just a thought.
    mg

I believe that my issue is with ringer creation.

That's why I thought creating a ringer from an MP3 that is known to work might shed some more light on the issue. Also I just re-read the thread. On the off chance the issue is with the synching process and not the ringer creation have you tried copying the ringers to the phone via your SD card instead of syncing?
    More thoughts...
    mg