+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    BDP

7135 Face Plates and covers - aftermarket

Hey guys, I haven't logged in here in a LONG time... Since my last posts about my buddies 7135 and how he broke it, I have purchased my own 7135 as an upgrade from my 6035 and I LOVE IT!!!

I do have some typical fatal exemptions and a couple freeze ups when switching between applications quickly but other than that it is perfect.

Yestarday I descided to get a couple new games and a few apps and I got some of the basics that everyone else has had for years. I begin looking around for some parts and ran across a post here explaining a company who repairs Cell phones (via - something) I forgot it already but I started searching around for replacement plastics (just in case) and found a guy on Ebay selling replacement faceplates and battery covers for about $10.00 US. I dont know if this a repost or anything I searched but didn't see anything.

I just thought I would pass it along just incase someone is intrested, I am going to purchase one (maybe) just not too sure of the quality. Plus I am Scared to death of disassembling my little buddy since I baby it so much

Don't know how long these links will be good for since it's ebay but if you haven't already, check it out!

Ebay FacePlate Search

Edit: Added Sellers store (for "Buy it now" auctions)
    Click Here for the store - link located by:KevinAnLipscomb

*NOTE* Some users have had problems with these covers where they've been manufactured at different specs and press tightly against the screen causing digitizers and screens to malfunction or break. Please read the following posts carefully to take precaution against breaking your 7135! In most cases the cover was shaved down and it fit properly.
    Last edited by BDP; 03-16-2005 at 09:34 PM.

That seller seems to have a ton of feedback, but check it out carefully. I bought a "case replacement" for my Kyocera slider on eBay. That phone is not one that normally offers replacements, meaning Verizon and Kyocera don't offer them (that I know of). Just as there are not official replacements for the 7135.

After several hours of making the case fit my $250 phone (I paid list as it was a backup phone) the new case was on. Quality was crap. Nothing you would notice with it off the phone, but it simply didn't fit the phone right. Lots of shaving areas to get it to fit. All done and half the buttons ont he phone do not work.

The seller had perfect feedback. After I get the thing, I get an email from eBay saying he has been removed from eBay. Still no bad feedback, so I will never know why but my guess would be the knock-off cases.

After that sob story, this case looks much less invasive than the one I bought and the wood-like one looks nice
    My sordid past:

Kyocera 6035, Kyocera 7135, Samsung i700, iPAQ 6315, iPAQ hx4705, Motorola a630, BB 7100t, iPAQ rx3115, JAM 850, BB 8700g, Samsung i320 (just for fun), imate KJAM, TMO SDA, MDA, TMO Wing

BDP
    Sorry to hear about your unfortunate happenings on Ebay, I too have had many to tell... but not here

If these case plates he is selling were to be of another phone with more curves and more of a custom fit I wouldnt have said much about them, but the photos seem pretty simple and I am pretty possitive they would fit rather well, just not sure on their quality or overcoat material. I guess for a few bucks you can't really complain as opposed to $20-$100 for factory replacement plastics.

I will debate it for another day or so but I will probably end up with one

faceplates

I too have seent them. If you decide to get one .. followup with us and if possible send a picture. I also recall you had to purchase a T6 torix screwdriver in order to make the change. So that is an additional charge.
    esmass:p

BDP
    When I first purchased my 6035 I had to replace the microphone (since it was bad) and the reason why he sold the phone for $35.00!!!

I didnt have nor could I find the t-6 bit ANYWHERE, so I just went up to an At&t store and asked to see a driver... they were happy to let me sit with their tools and fiddle with my phone. I dont know if its the same everywhere else with other Stores. I ended up Investing in a set since I took it apart weekly

BDP.....................

My Dad and my Wife both have the 7135.

I'd like to get one of these cases to make my phone visually distinctive. I found a Torx 6 driver for about $8.00 including shipping.

I just have no idea how to replace the front cover.

I can't find any screws visible on the top cover. I'm assuming they are under the metal escutchion that frames the display screen. But how do you remove the metal frame with out damaging it ?

Can anyone post step by step instructions on how to replace the plastic covers ?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 7135 Face Plates and covers - aftermarket-1093302302914_fkyo7135dsdollar_300a_yc.jpg  
    I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy

BDP
    Someone had a reply on this forum somewhere about removing the metal thing on top and someone else replied and told them if they are carefull they can re-glue it. I am guessing it is a sticky glue on type thing.

I haven't found an exploded diagram or anything anywhere. I was kinda hoping someone told me how to remove the cover as well since I would hate to damage it.

I found a demo phone for parts as well but it looks as if it will go for $15 or $20
    Ebay
    Last edited by BDP; 08-30-2004 at 06:46 PM.

BDP

Phone cover dissasemble

Well I successfully got the cover off... I was really worried at first because the Glue was stuck really well and the metal began to bend.

I took a hair dryer to the cover and got it pretty hot and the cover came off rather easily. I used my credit card instead of a small metal object (screw driver) to pry on the cover.

Be Extra Gentle with the cover, it is really thin and once bent, will take a while to remold to the phone cover!!

there are 4 case clips (2 on each side) that you have to snap apart, I ran a thin blade up the grove between the two pieces to successfully snap the clips apart. If you pry on the grove it will bend the plastic.

Note: You don't have to have the T-6 torx bit, if you were careful and you didnt have insurance or anything, you can use a small hobby flathead screwdriver (1.8mm) to remove the screws. These arent in there very tight and they aren't too important if you haven't taken the phone apart too many times they are just extra support in case the snaps don't hold properly

This process took me about 10 minutes since I had no photos to work from. I would spend to extra time with the hair dryer just to insure your metal doesn't bend too much!

Hope this helps!

I have included photos, if by anychance these links don't work just PM me or email me nwaimports@yahoo.com and I fix the link.
    Edit: These are Clickable By the Way I should have said that to begin with

Last edited by BDP; 09-03-2004 at 12:35 PM.

BDP
    If someone ends up damaging the Aluminum cover and is looking for a replacement cover, there are a couple posts talking about sending it back to Kyo for $50. I also found this post by jt999 for viastar where you can order a new cover for $9.00 or so.

Edit: Also just found Tessco who sells the Metal covers for $7.65 without shipping.

Wow, I am so excited with all these new parts I can replace on my phones Here is a complete Kyocera Product replacement search from Tessco.

Goodluck
    Last edited by BDP; 08-30-2004 at 08:22 PM.

BDP---
    Thanks for the update. Could you please post the pictures again, only this time, could you post them larger.
    From what I see of the new faceplates, it's irrelevant if you ruin the metal top cover, since the new plastic faceplates don't use it
    I think I'm game for a try, but I'll wait until I get bigger pictures.
    Thanks in advance for your help.
    I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy

BDP
    I resized the original images a little for you. Hope it helps!

--You could always order the aluminum piece from tessco.

As for our "whimpy" loudspeaker, wonder if any of these speakers would fit, work, and be a significant improvement:

http://www.tessco.com/products/displ...=50&offset=200

Just a thought.
    Evan

what about replacing the faceplace only (where the verizon and kyocera logos are)? Do I need to remove the whole front?
    The one who dies with the most toys WINS :-)

BDP
    Don't bother with the Tessco stuff as for phone replacement parts unless you are an autorized repair center. I called them last night and I would have to have gone through a class and all that jaz in order to become a authorized repair guy.

Oh well, I didnt know - but for anyone else who needs that link for something - there you are.

I ordered a Carbon Fiber FacePlate from the guy on Ebay on August 30th. They shipped it within 24 hours but I've not yet received it yet. I will take some photos and make a summery once I get it.

BDP
    What "FacePlate" part are you referring to? The Top aluminum piece where the carrier logos usually are is the part I am talking about. It has adhesive that holds it in place.

I think the Aluminum piece around the screen is also adhesive but not sure. Those are probably made on the phone and you can't get a replacement that I would know of. This Phone Part from Tessco is a full piece, I didnt see any other aluminum stuff that they would sell.

I just got off the phone with Russ at ViaStar Technologies http://www.viastartech.com/home/ where I will place my order for my Aluminum piece. He tells me that they repair phones for insurance companies and such. They have terrible vendors who can never get them their needed supplies on time so the part will be another two weeks or so before I can order it. He said the going rate now days is about $14 after its all said and done.

He said he doesn't think there is adhesive on the backing of the aluminum but it comes in a plastic bag and he's never actually taken one out - they just reship them.

Russ and I talked for about an hour about randomness and Cell phones in general and he seems on the up and up even though he is a "Salesman" He WARNED me about service issues with ALLTEL over the last 3 months where he's had a record number of calls with service issues and the 7135. I think it has something to do with their software or their PRL updates but he says no one has an answer yet. He said they actually stopped taking Alltel Phone problems because they were losing money since there is no answer yet.

I'm glad I havent done any updates since last year being on alltel network and all
    Last edited by BDP; 09-02-2004 at 01:43 PM.

not totally sure - looking at Schavla post, I ordered the same parts from eBay (but with the American Flag instead of the $100 bill). Is the front cover shown the whole piece or just the metallic piece? The battery cover is a no brainer.

BDP
    Hmm, still not too sure what you are asking but I'm not all here

I dont think the aluminum piece comes on the items from ebay since it is not shown in the pictures.

You must remove the alumium piece from your phone to install the faceplate from ebay.

You dont have to put it back on I suppose since most of these "aftermarket" ones have murals and pictures. But Since I ordered the Carbon Fiber, it will look best with the aluminum on.

during the removal you could damage the aluminum unless your VERY CAREFULL.
    That is where these aluminum posts are comming from, in case it does get damaged (for any reason).

I think the ebay auction is just the very top cover to the screen casing and the battery cover. Again I am not sure and I forgot to ask the guy. Once my shipment arrives I will post more info.

I am really hoping these are of descent quality since they are so cheap, there isnt much to screw up in duplicating the original so I am pretty sure they will be okay just not sure of the durability.

i guess we are in the same boat. I am awaiting mine from ebay also.

Is this normal?

Hi everyone. While we are on the topic of face plates, my 7135 fell out of the holster today faceplate first onto asphalt.

It is pretty scratched but what concerns me most is that it seems like the face plate has pulled away from the phone right at the service light. There just seems to be a gap there and now i cannot remember if it was there before.

Could you guys take a peek at your phone and tell me if there is a little space between your metal plate and the phone? I have attached a pic to try to illustrate what I mean.

Thanks for the help. I guess Russ can expect an order from me as well.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 7135 Face Plates and covers - aftermarket-img_0393.jpg  
    Gloria in excelsis Deo.

BDP
    I've got a little larger gap but its pretty close to what it use to be before I removed the cover.

When I took the aluminum cover off, I bent it just a little so the gap is a little larger.

I doubt you broke anything since the plastic chasis is pretty tough
    Last edited by BDP; 09-03-2004 at 10:42 AM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast