+ Reply to Thread

How do you change your battery?

I usually change it by plugging the power source directly into the phone with the phone on, then swap batteries. No problems whatsoever. Today I tried swapping without the power source pluged in. I turned the phone and palm off, closed the flip and quickly swapped batteries. The phone did a soft reset and after that everything was normal.

Is it normal for a soft reset to happen after a battery swap without the power source plugged in? Just curious...

Thanks,

Abe

Administrator
    yes this is normal and preferred.

you do not have to plug the phone in to swap batteries UNLESS your internal battery was wiped out and cant keep any kind of charge to retain memoery while you do the swap.

i would rather NOT have the phone plugged in when swapping batteries....

Originally posted by Marctronixx

i would rather NOT have the phone plugged in when swapping batteries....
    Why's that?

Administrator
    just adds one more thing that could cause irregular voltage going thru the phone at battery swap.

im sure others do that so dont be alarmed but thats something i would not do...

back
    I ALWAYS swap batteries with power plugged in. Never a problem.
    Palm M515>Kyocera 6035>Kyo 7135>Treo 650>Treo700W>Treo 700P>Palm Centro Verizon

you do not have to plug the phone in to swap batteries UNLESS your internal battery was wiped out and cant keep any kind of charge to retain memoery while you do the swap.
    Is there as way to check the charge on the internal battery...so you know for sure?

Administrator
    lol yeah do it with no power to the phone and see if it keeps the memory!

seriously, i dont think there is a way on the 7135 to do this but if you had a problem you would know.

I ALWAYS swap batteries with power plugged in. Never a problem.
    my point is you do NOT have to do that....

I guess I was just trying to see what other people are donig. Since the first time that I swapped batteries without power plugged in I got a soft reset. I do use backup software, but there's always that stress factor when you have to do a full restore.

I guess I'll keep swapping batteries with power...

Thanks for the input!

Abe

Administrator
    a soft reset is just the same as turning the power off and then back on. so , when you take the battery off and that is its only power source, then you will get a "soft reset".... which does not mean much. a WARM reset yields much better results than a soft reset... but thats beyond the scope here...

if its easier for you to swap batteries with external power then go right ahead.. but dont think you are doing something worthwile by using that procedure...

a soft reset is just the same as turning the power off and then back on.
    Really!? How's that? I don't get the palm logo and a 30 second wait every time I turn the palm on/off. I've been a Palm user almost since inception and that just doesn't make sense. Off then back on versus soft reset is like saying turning your PC off (reboot windows) is the same as just turning the monitor only off then on. Turning the phone off then on doesn't soft reset the palm-side.

Totally off topic, I know...

Abe

back
    I swap power on to avoid the reset and digitizer nonsense.

Administrator
    trust me. a soft reset is no different than powering the phone off and on... palm logo or not... which is why a WARM reset is much more powerful than the soft. ive used palms for just as long as you but that does not matter when it comes to palmphones because they are hybrids over conventional palms and therefore dont act like a regular palm.

if you are getting the digitizer screen upon battery swap then something is amuck with your phone... that should not happen under normal battery swaps...

back
    I give up.... no sense arguing with someone who knows everything.

So then please tell: What is a "warm" reset?

I have heard of soft, hard, and some unique "factory" reset, but what do you mean by a "warm" reset?

Administrator
    Originally posted by ekaxel
    I give up.... no sense arguing with someone who knows everything.
    dude whats your issue? no one here is claiming to know everything. this is a discussion forum and people come here to learn. you are sharing your experiences... i am sharing mine. if you cant handle technicial disscussions then dont contribute.

a warm reset is achieved by certain button combinations to initiate it. basically a warm reset goes the extra step of deactivating any system patches or hacks which may be installed. nothing is erased from memory. this is used if you are running a program and it hangs or causes the phone to not function properly. doing this will "release" the phone from the offending program/hack and then you can go in and do what you need to do to eliminate the problem.

soft, warm, cold resets have been discussed on this forum for years. if you search you will see others using these.

back
    Please forgive me for my ignorance. I am not a hacker. I just use the phone as Kyo/Verizon intended it to be used. So I really have no need for warm resets.
    If you don't want me to contribute, please unsubscribe me.

Administrator
    again, calm down my friend. this is a friendly site and i mean no disrespect.

when i say "hacks" its not a bad thing. people use hackmaster to manage hacks used on palm phones. in the early 6035, we had a "greenlight hack" that made the screen inverse to make it more visible. and to use that "hack", you needed a hack program.

well, if that program went screwy for whatever reason and a soft boot did not help it, a warm reset was a life saver. usually it would release the hack and you would not have to do a cold boot.

some launcher programs include a shortcut for a warm reset. i used to use LIII and it had the warm reset included in a tab. (btw, i still use LIII on a i330 on my account).

im glad to hear you use your phone the way it was intended, but some people want to push their phone and thats what hacks are for.

sorry to have gotten this convo off the original topic but hopfeully some useful info was shared here.

ekaxel, please accept my apology if you were offended in any way. no need to get defensive amigo..

Good place for Bill Gates SilvrDrgn's Avatar
    When the battery in my 7135 runs down, I power off the phone side manually, then I put the Palm side to sleep by quickly pressing/releasing the backlight button. Follow that up with quickly removing the drained battery and inserting a fresh one. I do not plug my 7135 into a power source while doing this. I do, however, plug my 7135 into a power source every few days (or once a week at the very least) for a couple of hours with a fully charged battery. This gets the internal backup source charged up again, which is needed for switching batteries without a power source applied.
    Michael