+ Reply to Thread

Thread: video options

video options

Is it me or do other users find kinoma a slow way of producing video content for are phones.

when i bought this phone i had dreamed of getting up in the moring and transfering movie's, cartoons and the news in a few minutes and watching (with plenty of video content choices) on the train or at lunch. But that dream has been replaced with computer crashes or incomplete conversions that has left me dis-inchanted with trying to convert video.

If it were possible to see mpeg1 video with sound, I'de buy a couple of large cards and drag and drop new video content right to the card in minutes.

Must I get the fastest computer in the world to produce Kinoma video?

BDP
    It took my computer about 8 minutes to convert a 30 MB MP3 video to a 10 MB kinoma vid. I've played with various settings found it really didnt knock much time off the speed.

My laptop use to take a good 1/2 hour or hour to convert 60 or 70 megs and my older PC took about 30 minutes for the same.

25 to 30MB MP3
    8-10 minutes = AMD 2.4 ghz, 256MB PC-3200, WinXP

60 to 70 MB AVI
    30-40 minutes = AMD 1.3 Ghz, 256MB PC-2100, WinXP
    30-60+ minutes = Pentium 300 Mhz Mobile, 128 MB PC133, Win98

I figured my 2.4Ghz would blaze right through but it is suprisingly slower as well. (It could be some hardware conflict) I would expect a store bought AMD 2.4 to go alot faster but mine is all home built and overclocked from 1.9ghz.

I use Kinoma Producer 2.0.4 with the following settings:

Video: Cinepak
    FPS: 15
    BitRate: 400 kbps

Audio: Uncompressed
    Smaple Rate: 16.384
    Audio Boost: None

So, how do you like it on the 7135? Is it worth it? I'd love to do it, but don't want to waste money if it's really ng.

How do you think a 450mhz with 500+mb of RAM would do ? How do you do it? play a DVD and the software converts it?

BDP
    The software for converting Avi, MP3 etc is Kanoma Producer. Kinoma Player is another program which goes on your Palm to play the file that producer made. Check out Kinoma on their website http://www.kinoma.com

It can take an MP3 thats 30 or 40 mb down to a 10 or 20 mb Palm file. For a DVD, you'd probably need to convert the video into a format that kinoma producer could read. I've never done it but many have on the forums here.

from what I understand, kinoma is one of the best out there for our phones. There is a couple others but kinoma has the best reviews from what I can tell. It is rather easy to operate and I've never really had any issues with mine. It won't be like watching a TV or anything since the audio isnt too good but the video (in my opinion) is REALLY good - I was surprised!

I will go download the software on one of my computers (450mhz Celeron - 512mb ram) and see how long a 30MB MP3 movie would take to convert.

BDP
    25 MB MP3 Video took 25 minutes at the Default setting to convert with my 450mhz Celeron and 512mb pc100.

So I suppose about a meg a minute with that machine.

back
    Buy a TV set!
    Palm M515>Kyocera 6035>Kyo 7135>Treo 650>Treo700W>Treo 700P>Palm Centro Verizon

Thanks BDP and emorgana. I noted your settings and found that my frame rates were a little high (around 24), which may have been the coprate to my problem.

And yes i heard that kinoma was one of the best. Kids really get a kick out of watching bugs bunny and llittle nimo on the phone!
    I think its worth it when jaws drop seeing a phone do this amazing stuff.

Its easy getting video to the kinoma producer program if u have a video card that can record avi or mpeg1 or mp1 files which seem like the equivalent of a vcr video tape. U should get a card that allows u to hook your dvd or vcr or video broadcaster input with rca jacks although my ATI all in wonder board allows for more inputs. This card will automatically tape programs that I have on my cable and satalite.

What I have noticed also was that only one of my channels (left ear bud) work while wearing head phones. Have others in forum noticed only the left speaker on earphones working. Im thinking that its a flaw only our phone may share. but it never hurts to check with the masses.

BDP
    There are some real inexpensive TV cards on the market anywhere from $15 - $150 which allows you to plug in a regular Cable or VCR cable and watch tv right on your computer... altho some or most of these create some issues with your IRQ settings and whatnot and can be hard to setup.
    It is really easy to build up your computer to become a TiVo or equivalent recording device.

You can find a purpose made video card just for video input with a S-Video or composite (phono type) plug. I doubt these would cause problems but you'd have to purchase extra equipment just to watch Cable or you'd need an up to date Cable Ready VCR.

Blah blah... im sure you dont really care too much about all that, but just inputting on the card stuff.

I've read about only having mono output but there again, I think I remember kinoma producer only having a mono setting? There is a thread somewhere talking about that issue.

My settings were devised a while back from talking to techs at Kinoma, they said it was one of the best settings, I had a couple more, but settled with that one. I've never experimented with other formats except AVI and MP3 so have no idea how long it takes to compress other file types...

Does your computer function better now just from changing that setting?