+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Service Required. Contact Provider.

"Service Required. Contact Provider."

That's the message that the phone screen on my 7135 was displaying last week Friday when I woke up. Bad news. Big Bad news. I was freaking out because this is one of the original AllTel phones, purchased in December of '02 from GetConnected.com (I think it was December, maybe Jan of '03?) and activated with Verizon well before they ever released it. The phone is way out of warranty and no matter what I tried, including a hard reset, I couldn't get the phone to work at all! Luckily, the Palm side of things was still working, so I wasn't entirely high and dry.

I had to wait all day, and go through the whole day without my phone, because I had scheduled a business trip traversing 450 miles for Friday. When I got back I went immediately to the Verizon store to see if they could help me out. The store's tech was just as dumbfounded as I was. After about an hour of fiddling around they got the Data Center people on the line to see if they could help. After being transferred a few times I finally got to someone who knew the 7135, he had me do a "crash" reset. Basically just a hard reset. Since I'd already tried that I knew it wouldn't work, and sure enough, it didn't. Here comes the really amazing part. The dude said, "Alright then, I'm just going to replace it for you." No kidding! I'm so happy with Verizon right now I could hug everyone with the little red swooshy-checkmark on their shirts!

Because of the holiday this past weekend I didn't get the new phone until this morning. I got it up and running by running doing a Restore from BackupBuddyVFS on my 512MB SD card. Then I called Verizon and has the ESN on my account switched and everything is great again! Yay! Well, except that now I've got the ugly Verizon logo on the front of the phone, but I'll be able to remedy that once the new covers I just bought on eBay arrive. I never would have known about those if not for this site, I love this place!

Ha, ha, funny, funny. When I plugged my original phone back in to do a hard reset I noticed two things. 1) I didn't need to do a hard reset because the battery had been out of it long enough already that all data had been dumped, and 2) The phone was miraculously working again, albeit under the original AllTel defaults. Doh. Well, off it went in the return FedEx box anyway. I told them what it was before the guy agreed to replace it, so I hope they don't try to go back on their word and make me pay for it now.

Now I've got to fire up the old headset/adapter shop again and make myself a new headset. I sold the one that I'd been using months ago after the headset jack on my original 7135 quite working, probably from overuse after testing hundreds of adapters with it. I'm hoping to finish up all of my outstanding orders (5 of 'em) while I'm at it and maybe even crank out enough for a few of the people who've been begging for them the past few months.
    Sorry, but I no longer make 7135 headset adapters.

Glad to hear a good story, coolcat.

P.S. You can also update the ESN on their website to avoid any unneccesary contact with VZW
    My sordid past:

Kyocera 6035, Kyocera 7135, Samsung i700, iPAQ 6315, iPAQ hx4705, Motorola a630, BB 7100t, iPAQ rx3115, JAM 850, BB 8700g, Samsung i320 (just for fun), imate KJAM, TMO SDA, MDA, TMO Wing

I tried the website first. It didn't work. There are two options, existing equipment or new equipment. New equipment requires an order number, and although I had one it wasn't 12 digits as required. I tried the existing equipment as well just to see if it would work and it was a no go as well. The call was quick and painless though.
    Sorry, but I no longer make 7135 headset adapters.

I just went through the same thing. The Service Required problem would keep reoccuring even after I go t it working serveral times over serveral weeks.

Return it and get a new one is the only way to fix.

VZW took care of mine with no fight.

coolcat----what new covers are you talking about?
    Understanding is the comprehension of knowledge; wisdom is the application of knowledge.

Gloria in excelsis Deo.

coolcat you seriously interested in making some adapters? and or "cans"?
    There is no spoon
    Neo can be spelled as One.

That's basically the same experience I had Coolcat. Verizon replaced my out of warranty Alltel phone with a brand new 2nd generation phone (not even a refurb!)

I still have my original Coolcat headphones, although I must confess I rarely use my phone for MP3 listening anymore since I got my Ipod. The ability to scroll within lenghty MP3s makes the Ipod a no-brainer choice over the 7135.

Converged
    good to hear you will be back in the adaptor busness soon...I have been waiting a while.
    Yay!!!!

I had similar problems:

- "Contact Service Provider" message
    - Inexplicable "seaching" after phone calls.
    - Auto phone shut-off
    - Phone loosing data after soft-resets "Routine Maintenance"

The system just seemed to become increasingly unstable over the last four months (got the Phone in December '03).

Finally took it in to Verizon and they replaced it under warranty; no questions asked.

Hoping for improved stability this time around, but got the extended warranty just in case.

BTW - Phone was never dropped and never got wet.

Thank you Verizon!

Good luck everyone else.

Just so we all know , " Servce required" means that the phone needs its software updated. go to your local repair center and have it done. Shouldnt take more than a 1/2 hour., Also if i walked into a store with a phone and the tech had no idea what one of the easiest problems to fix is? walk away... quickly
    but thats good that verizon replaced it. They have something called RAPID REPLACEMENT. I know this becuase a friend of mine is an employee.
    ciao

Re-Flashing your phone will not get rid of the Service required....

It is a hardwar issue.....The phone needs to be replaced.

TL

Originally posted by tlaudio
    Re-Flashing your phone will not get rid of the Service required....

It is a hardwar issue.....The phone needs to be replaced.

TL
    are u sure? becuase the people who made the phone.. KYOCERA have told me that it is not a hardware issue... that just doesnt make sense, hardware issue. its a software issue, and before you go and get all angry think about it. what runs the " service "........OH I GOT IT a SERVICE provider, and well how do they do that.... with a bunch of SOFTWARE . now if the phone says service required, and shows a picture of a phone hooked up to a pc ( like it does on the other Kyocera phones) u might think that the PC u hook it up to ( called a PST., or phone service tool) will magically make the phone fix itself.... by uploading the software. wow..... logic,,, cool huh

Kyocera was no help at all; they just said take it to Verizon.

Verizon confirmed that I had the most current software before they gave me a new phone.

Verizon seems to be aware of the problem and Kyocera apparently doesn't want to own up to its unstable platform.
    HTC Touch Pro 2, Samsung i760, i730, Kyocera 7135, 6035

911 rememberance link below

http://inlibertyandfreedom.com/flash/heroes.swf

DEDICATED TO ALL AMERICANS

"WE WILL NEVER FORGET"

Originally posted by cidknee
    are u sure? becuase the people who made the phone.. KYOCERA have told me that it is not a hardware issue... that just doesnt make sense, hardware issue. its a software issue, and before you go and get all angry think about it. what runs the " service "........OH I GOT IT a SERVICE provider, and well how do they do that.... with a bunch of SOFTWARE . now if the phone says service required, and shows a picture of a phone hooked up to a pc ( like it does on the other Kyocera phones) u might think that the PC u hook it up to ( called a PST., or phone service tool) will magically make the phone fix itself.... by uploading the software. wow..... logic,,, cool huh
    My phone recently went into the "Contact Service providor..." mode. Before that death message, my phone would turn off for no reason & drop a lot of calls. I had my carrier re-flash the phone before it went into that mode & it did not help at all. In fact once the "contact Service..." appears there is no way to flash the phone side since it needs to be in the "service interface" mode to d/l the phone side software.

YMMV

TL

Now this is weird. I now have the same message, but only when the battery is installed. If I pull it and place the phone on the charger, the message doesn't appear. I'm looking at it right now, and I'm able to send and receive calls. But when I put the battery back in, there goes the message. And here I was looking forward to celebrating the 2-year anniversary of having the phone in March...

Originally posted by jsimonson0
    Now this is weird. I now have the same message, but only when the battery is installed. If I pull it and place the phone on the charger, the message doesn't appear. I'm looking at it right now, and I'm able to send and receive calls. But when I put the battery back in, there goes the message. And here I was looking forward to celebrating the 2-year anniversary of having the phone in March...
    My phone got worse, not better over time. Then it would not go out of the "Service Required" death screen. Called Kyo, they replaced it under warrenty (it was only 8mo old at the time)

TL

My replacement phone arrived today with the "Verizon Wireless" banner across the top. I opted to keep the larger antenna, simply because the signal meter changed more with it than the smaller one. A quick sync and I'm already back in business. Say what you want about VZW support staff, they sure know how to erplace a phone PDQ...

thats about the only good thing i can say about Verizon. You wouldnt have any idea how many ppl call and ask me if I know what the 7135 is. I say yes, and thier usual reply is Oh thank god... i waslked into verizon and they looked at the phone and didnt have a clue. I actually had one cusomer tell me that she was told that the 7135 was never and will never be carried by verizon... she showed him the logo on the front and he said.. oh u painted that there. so I called him and he gave me the same story. customer ended up switching to alltel, which is sad. alltel is one of the worst service providers in the US... next to cricket, now they are stoopid

Well this just happened to me.

I am very upset as I NEED my phone for work.

And to boot... I just bought some accessories for it yesterday.

Figures.

I have been on hold with Bell Mobility for approx 1 hour now tring to get through to someone.... still listening to how much they value my business. yea right!

I know you Verizon US people have had good luck getting replacements but I am wondering what Bell Mobility here in Canada will do for me.

I am not hopefull and I think I am out a pretty expensive phone.

As an FYI I just had my firmware updated about three weeks ago and I was loving how stable the phone became. I wonder if it had anything to do with it.

I will NEVER buy an expensive phone again! If this does not get resolved I am going back to the cheapest flip phone I can get.

Derek

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast